The VG Resource

Full Version: How on earth do you rip Pikmin models?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, all. This is my first post on these forums (conveniently timed after the forums got reset. Smile ). I must say, I LOVE the entire vg-resource and I must applaud them for the incredible work they've done. The quality of the sprite, sound, model, and texture rips are all astounding. There's hardly ever a moment when I can't find something I need from a game thanks to you. And the wonderful designs of the websites make it extremely easy to find something I need. So, yeah. Thanks. Big Grin

But, to get right down to the point, the other day I found myself addicted to the New Play Control version of Pikmin, and for complicated reasons, I decided I wanted to try and see if I could Pikmin-type game working in Unity 3D. So, naturally, I wanted some models from the game and the first place I checked was here on the good ol' models resource.

To my surprise, the only Pikmin-related resource I could find was an unused mario model found inside the game!

I proceeded to Google everything I could think of in hopes that I'd find just one pikmin-related model. But, surprisingly, I couldn't.

I decided to delve into the problem myself. I popped my New Play Control version of Pikmin into my Wii along with a clean 8 GB USB flash drive, freshly formatted to FAT. I ripped the iso to the flash drive using CleanRip, and ran it in Dolphin to ensure everything ripped correctly (and admittedly played some Pikmin on my PC in full HD. Smile ). Next I used Dolphin's wonderful filesystem utility to extract the contents of the iso.

There were all the models! Right out in the open! Not in an archive or anything! --Or so I thought. Turns out all the models are there, but they're in this weird .mod format. I've never seen this format used for anything in my life except for Quicktime video, so this kind of surprised me.

I figured the internet would know all about these mod files and how to import them into, say, blender. But no matter what I tried I couldn't find any info on them! I even tried searching for converters and blender import plugins, but my searches were still fruitless!

So, that's why I'm here. I'm hoping one of the geniuses here knows just what these .mod files are and how to get them into Blender. Thanks in advance for your time, and I hope we can finally figure out these odd files. Wink
I've been wondering the same thing. I've wanted to rip models from Pikmin 1 for quite some time, but have never been able to find any information on it.
I don't know what the rules are about bumping on these forums, so please forgive me if i'm doing something wrong. I just really don't want this thread to die so soon! Nervous

Does anyone know anything about these .mod files? Sad
You may want to shoot a PM by lemurboy12, since it looks like he managed to rip the only Pikmin model on the site.
(07-19-2014, 03:19 PM)redblueyellow Wrote: [ -> ]You may want to shoot a PM by lemurboy12, since it looks like he managed to rip the only Pikmin model on the site.

Whoops! Sorry for not responding! Shy I was out of town and forgot to check up on this thread. Sad

...Anyway; Thanks for the advice! I haven't actually thought of that! That's.. actually a really obvious but bright idea! Thank you! I'll give it a shot and tell you all how it goes. Wink

Thanks again! Shy
Any luck with Lemur?
(08-01-2014, 09:30 PM)Mystie Wrote: [ -> ]Any luck with Lemur?

Unfortunately not. Sad I haven't got a response from him yet. Rolleyes
Try dolphin emulator set with directx graphics an 3dripper dx
(08-28-2014, 06:54 PM)iminzc Wrote: [ -> ]Try dolphin emulator set with directx graphics an 3dripper dx

Huh.. weird... I was almost POSITIVE I replied to you... Blank

Anyway, thanks so much for your advice! Unfortunately, I tried it and it didn't work. :/ First I tried with Dolphin 4.0, and it said it was "Unable to create process". I made sure the game was running and my graphics backend was set to DirectX. Still wouldn't work. Sad

Then I tried the same thing but with Dolphin 3.0 using the DirectX 9 backend, thinking it just didn't support DirectX11. But nope. Still gave me the same error.

Lastly, I messed with the compatibility settings for 3DRipper DX. I tried administrator permissions, Windows XP compatibility mode, etc. Still gives me the same error every time. Sad

Here's a screenshot of the error if it helps:  
[Image: a8vMPKY.jpg]

Thanks again for the help! Smile
Any updates on how to rip them?
(02-21-2015, 01:54 AM)humbert0 Wrote: [ -> ]Any updates on how to rip them?

Surprisingly, no! Lemurboy12 still hasn't responded! xD

I'll look into them some more tomorrow if I have time, though I doubt I'll be able to actually do anything with em' considering my limited knowledge of Wii file formats. I did see something about 3D .mod files for the DS recently, though... so maybe the Wii uses the same format? If i find out anything I'll let you know. Wink 
(02-22-2015, 12:13 AM)Radzdahound Wrote: [ -> ]

I'll look into them some more tomorrow if I have time, though I doubt I'll be able to actually do anything with em' considering my limited knowledge of Wii file formats. I did see something about 3D .mod files for the DS recently, though... so maybe the Wii uses the same format? If i find out anything I'll let you know. Wink 

alright thank you i've been trying to figure it out for a month now :/ and i'm in the same boat as you will the limited knowledge of the formats Cry
(02-22-2015, 12:19 AM)humbert0 Wrote: [ -> ]

alright thank you i've been trying to figure it out for a month now :/ and i'm in the same boat as you will the limited knowledge of the formats  Cry

Sure, no problem! Smile Hopefully I'll at least be able to contribute SOMETHING. Tongue 

I'll check em' out briefly tonight and see if I come up with anything. If there's still time tomorrow I'll look into them some more then as well. WE NEED THOSE MODELS!!! xD
(02-22-2015, 12:25 AM)Radzdahound Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2015, 12:19 AM)humbert0 Wrote: [ -> ]
(02-22-2015, 12:13 AM)Radzdahound Wrote: [ -> ]Surprisingly, no! Lemurboy12 still hasn't responded! xD

alright thank you i've been trying to figure it out for a month now :/ and i'm in the same boat as you will the limited knowledge of the formats  Cry

Sure, no problem! Smile Hopefully I'll at least be able to contribute SOMETHING. Tongue 

I'll check em' out briefly tonight and see if I come up with anything. If there's still time tomorrow I'll look into them some more then as well. WE NEED THOSE MODELS!!! xD

yes we do Tongue and thanks i'll look around more as well

I just used 3D Ripper DX and replaced a model with Mario. All I wanted was that Mario model.
Pages: 1 2 3