The VG Resource

Full Version: puggsoy makes sprites now
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I felt like giving this a shot yesterday, since I want to get into spriting eventually anyway. I probably won't update very often for now, but hopefully I should start getting more serious about it once I manage to free up some time.

So here's my first ever custom sprite:

[attachment=4337]

Crit is welcome of course, but since I'm not doing any particular style that might be difficult. Basically I'm just going for simplicity at the moment, I don't want to go into any expert techniques. But yeah, I'll try and apply any improvements you can suggest.

Oh and if anyone could suggest a better background colour that would be cool too, I'm having trouble picking one that fits well.
For your first sprite, it's not bad. It's a little small, but it gets the job done.

If you really want to try something impressive, though, go for a little shading next!
I think some of the shapes seem square and there's not a lot of depth. His pose is weird too, it doesn't seem like he's relaxed at all. Legs also seem a bit short.

Like E-Man said, it's pretty good for your first sprite, but I also think you should try something more technically impressive after you're done with this.
Wanting or not, adding some detail is inevitable, as it's something really blocky right now. I mean, nothing wrong in that, however I can't really give c+c for that

For example, there's no definite anatomy; the legs aren't separated and the pose is stiff like a kokeshi doll or a matryoshka doll. And the colors are literally solid blocks of color. It is a step to spriting in general, but I think that adding a tiny bit more of detail will not hurt.

Keep it up!
It sort of reminds me of Karoshi for some reason. For a first attempt, it looks good. Though like others have said, like it or not you do have to add details. The Jumpman sprites from Donkey Kong is a good example of detail in limited coloring. With three colors, you can tell his nose from his face, what clothing he's wearing, even seeing two legs.
I decided to start anew and make him a big bigger in general, since I'm finding it a bit hard to modify something so small:

[attachment=4342]

I made his legs longer and tried separating them, and had a go at shading his forhead below the hat brim. I can't really see where else shading would be appropriate, but feel free to have a go yourself if you want.

I'm not sure how to go about making him look relaxed, any details on what to change specifically? I tried to make it look like he's got his hands in his pockets but I'm not sure if it looks good.

I also feel like his eyes are a bit thin, but anything else looks too weird. Is this where anti-aliasing would be handy?
puggsoy Wrote:Oh and if anyone could suggest a better background colour that would be cool too, I'm having trouble picking one that fits well.

usually i do some sort of very unsaturated green or blue, something bright is painful to look at

[Image: 04ba2f3fca.png]

see? it might just be me, but in my opinion i love working with colors like this
Thanks, that looks like a good colour. Choosing background colours for my own sprites seems a bit harder than those for ripped sprites (or it might have just been a while).

Anyway recme edited my sprite and gave me a couple of suggestions, so I tried to incorporate them myself:

[attachment=4344]

He also suggested making the hat a bit shorter, but it's supposed to be quite tall. I did bring in the brim a bit though, I think that looks a bit better.
I also had a go at making him look more relaxed by bending his right arm a bit and letting his left leg lean out a bit. I had a bit of trouble with that so tell me if I'm still doing it wrong.