The VG Resource

Full Version: Mario Kart 8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
I'm surprised this wasn't a thread yet. Well, with all the new info that came out today, I might as well start one. Behold, the newest Mario Kart game! Here's the latest trailer:

This has got to be the one of the most visually impressive games I've seen on the Wii U! Take a look at those courses!

On top of getting all seven Koopalings as racers we are joined by two newcomers, Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach... wait WHAT? Those have got to be the dumbest new characters ever!

Ahem. Anyway, it looks like a really amazing game. And most importantly, there's a brand new item that can destroy Blue Shells! Huzzah!
Baby Rosalina and Metal Peach? I don't understand how a game can get it so right and so wrong at the same time.
And if you buy it within the next 2 months, you get a free game out of the four options to boot!
Pikmin 3, Wii Party U, Wind Waker HD, or New Super Mario U.
I gotta say that now that I saw that trailer, I'm wanting to sink my teeth into that game!

I'm very impressed by how they did Bowser's Castle this time. If they could take that design strategy for Bowser's stronghold in the next few Mario games, it'll be a final level I'll never forget!

Anyway, it's about time that they created an effective counter item for the Blue Shell. I know a lot of players really don't like that item and I like how the Super Horn item gives them a fitting chance. If I could get my hands on one of those, though, I know who I'll be trying it out on.

As for the two new characters, I can almost see why they did that. For Baby Rosalina, fans saw her coming for a long time now (as evident by all the fan art of her). Not only is she there to complete the "baby princess set," but it is obvious that Nintendo is trying to continue to cash in on the popularity brought by Baby Peach due to her being an adorable character.

Of course, I am scratching my head about the inclusion of Metal/Pink Gold Peach. She hasn't appeared in any Mario game so far and I don't see any reason for her to exist. If it was Metal Luigi or Metal Wario, I could see that happening; however, why Princess Peach of all characters? I know she's an iconic female character in the world of video games (iconic enough to appear in more games than an other female character), but I only see this as a waste of a perfectly good spot for a more deserving character.
(04-30-2014, 09:46 AM)soulcaliburfan Wrote: [ -> ]And if you buy it within the next 2 months, you get a free game out of the four options to boot!
Pikmin 3, Wii Party U, Wind Waker HD, or New Super Mario U.

Is there a link to elaborate on this?
Help, I actually want to get a Wii U just watching this game's footage.
I mean, I was debating on visiting arcades regularly (read as "visiting my local Chuck E. Cheese and becoming "that guy") to play and finish Mario Kart Arcade GP2, but this game seems like it totally trumps that - and it's on a home console, too. The only thing that slightly bugs me is how there aren't eleventy-seven items to use in this game and that characters STILL don't hold the items that they roll.

(04-30-2014, 09:59 AM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, it's about time that they created an effective counter item for the Blue Shell. I know a lot of players really don't like that item and I like how the Super Horn item gives them a fitting chance. If I could get my hands on one of those, though, I know who I'll be trying it out on.

That sounds like it's actually harmful to gameplay balance.

The only people it seems like it'd bother are the "serious" Mario Kart players who want to get the best times in Grand Prix but get all their panties in a bunch due to the game's artificial difficulty allowing computer-controlled players to roll blue shells constantly...like, it should have seriously been a single-player mode item only.

Now, with this item those with "defensive" RNGs can roll this item and sit on it, and you'll have online solo VR competing players who are waaaay far ahead and making this game the opposite of fun for everyone else, as you'll have that nolife idiot in first place literally be impossible to usurp when playing online to improve your VR.

Unless the Super Horn has odds of being rolled as often as lightning bolts, I could see this item become annoying and OP pretty fast unless you double-team the person in first...

which I don't think online players are willing to cooperate that easily especially given you're competing against everyone else.

(04-30-2014, 09:59 AM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]As for the two new characters, I can almost see why they did that. For Baby Rosalina, fans saw her coming for a long time now (as evident by all the fan art of her). Not only is she there to complete the "baby princess set," but it is obvious that Nintendo is trying to continue to cash in on the popularity brought by Baby Peach due to her being an adorable character.

...you mean there's an actual demographic of people who like Baby Peach? Like, people see Baby Peach things and are like "Oh shit I need this game, it's got Baby Peach"? Who is this demographic?!

What actually bothers the hell out of me is that Rosalina's supposed to be like centuries old and now she's...a baby?
How long ago was that in respect to the Mario Galaxy games?

Metal Peach though just looks cool, but I assume she's just a reskin of Peach that handles like a heavyweight character instead of a lightweight (maybe like Wario weight?).
http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/30/new-ninten...s-4714150/
Actually, there are 10 games to pick from... The direct only said 4.
(04-30-2014, 10:33 AM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]...you mean there's an actual demographic of people who like Baby Peach? Like, people see Baby Peach things and are like "Oh shit I need this game, it's got Baby Peach"? Who is this demographic?!

It sounds silly, but there actually is a ton of people who like Baby Peach. Just look her up on Google and she has just as much fan art as the adult Peach.

I know Baby Peach is an adorable character, but the amount of people who obsess over her is creepier than the adult Peach. It's already bad enough for them to gawk at a fictional female character to rule 34 extremes, but it's very unsettling if they extend that to the underage version of said character.
I bet the GameFAQs forums are having a conniption over those two characters; they are goddamn obsessed with Mario Kart characters over there. But hey, I still ain't complaining since Waluigi's back and I get to play as Iggy Koopa.

With that said though, I'm really looking forward to this game. Sharing footage of races and uploading them to YouTube is a very big plus.
so does the buy the Mario Kart 8 and get a free game with Mario kart 8 apply to Canada as well?
Honestly I don't mind Baby Rosalina too much, and Pink-Gold Peach kind of harkens back to the N64 and early arcade days. I'd rather have some other returning racers at this point who are a little more unique, but whatever.
Goodness gracious, Mario Kart 8 is going to be huge in its features! As I'm looking forward to playing this, I already pre-ordered. Wink
(04-30-2014, 10:38 AM)soulcaliburfan Wrote: [ -> ]http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/30/new-ninten...s-4714150/
Actually, there are 10 games to pick from... The direct only said 4.

I heard that the 10 game deal is only in UK. In the US, we have only those 4.
God, listening to the Dutch version of the Direct was jarring as fuck.

The new Rainbow Road looks awesome. I like the contrast between the two Rainbow Roads.
I learned long ago that the Mario Kart roster was never meant to make sense. Seriously, it's not worth getting upset over.

Now my question is: when will the two seaters return?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12