The VG Resource

Full Version: My game on ARGS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.

Like a lot of people here, I always wanted to do my game. With no programming skills, and short of time, it was hard to get started. now I'm doing my first game with Arcade Game Studio, and finding it very fun to do.

The game is "As aventuas de Zé Baldinho" (The Adventures of Joe Bucket).

I'm doing all the graphics, and composing the tracks.

Actually I'm doing the stage 4.3, and planning to have a full stage 5 and final boss. The major problem is that I'm running out of actors (sprites, enemies and main character), so the work is getting complicate.

Here are a video of the game running:

Beta 0.5.0

Here you can download the last beta:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/T_Htdmg-ba/Re...a_052.html

Feel free to comment and criticize. I'll try to do my best do answer all the questions and debate suggestions. I can read well in English, but my writing is very bad, sorry.
Not even 1 reply? Sad

Well...

New Beta, new video:

Video:
http://zebaldinho.blogspot.com.br/p/videos.html

Download the Beta:
http://zebaldinho.blogspot.com.br/p/downloads.html
Well, I actually didn't knew about the existence of the Arcade Game Studio. Like, why the hell Wikipedia's list of engines doesn't have it? xD. I'll go and add it right now.
===
I never thought about a game where you use a fucking barrel. But here it is! It's neat! I congratulate you for this, because it's hard to make all graphics and sounds, and keep the spirits up. So yeah, go for it, next level is 1.0!
(04-18-2014, 04:24 PM)orochii Wrote: [ -> ]Well, I actually didn't knew about the existence of the Arcade Game Studio. Like, why the hell Wikipedia's list of engines doesn't have it? xD. I'll go and add it right now.
===
I never thought about a game where you use a fucking barrel. But here it is! It's neat! I congratulate you for this, because it's hard to make all graphics and sounds, and keep the spirits up. So yeah, go for it, next level is 1.0!

Correction, a fucking organic garbage barrel, hehehe. Thanks. i expect finish it til july.
I have to ask, what is the story behind the game? I know you play as a "fucking organic garbage barrel" or Joe Bucket, but other than from your first two posts, I got nothing, the videos didn't explain much to me about the plot, or the back story of Joe.
(04-18-2014, 10:06 PM)Level 1 Wrote: [ -> ]I have to ask, what is the story behind the game? I know you play as a "fucking organic garbage barrel" or Joe Bucket, but other than from your first two posts, I got nothing, the videos didn't explain much to me about the plot, or the back story of Joe.

Ok, my English isn't very good, so I'll try to translate to english what I wrote in my portuguese blog (using the help of google translator)

The narrative of the game ( yet to be finalized) , is an important factor and to which I have devoted a lot of work . In addition to base myself there in the narratives collected in of Revolution of Buckets, also enter my repertoire imagery and films , books , comics , and games that I played in my life .

- Introduction : Making the Revolution of buckets is not easy, so our hero decides to leave the imagination and give a force for the community to reuse your organic waste. Walk , jump obstacles , eat all organic waste to find , and shoot his powerful punch against pests that take the quality of life in the community .

- Stage 1 : Walk through the "Chico Mendes" community collecting banana peels , orange waste, apple waste . Kill the rats, cockroaches and mosquitoes that infest the community and bring diseases to children. Go through two areas between sidewalks , walls , sewage galleries, with the help of some providential items and Vertical Gardens made of old ​​tires. At the end , face the " boss stage ", a guy who thinks and lives a very strong base of canned and processed food.

- Stage 2 : Each battle reveals a bigger problem for our hero : Besides the trash, someone is spreading of chemical waste pollution in "Chico Mendes". Go through and go up the hill in the first two areas of this stage , still facing vultures and radioactive slime . Enjoy and note the middens and bones of ancient creatures of the island. In the third area walk the roofs of houses in the community, following the trail of radioactive goo and drums of chemical waste disposed of illegally by Pop Industries Beware the boss of this area, it can easily wipe out your health .

- Stage 3 : The chemical wastes are disposed irregularly in the community for trucks from POP Industry, so it only remains to follow them to the source of the problem. In the first area walk the light poles being careful with bare wires and transformers explosives. In the second area, enjoy the ride in the van (kombi) of our friend "Helton" and reach the bridge , just beware of road obstacles. In the third area , avoid the traffic jam on the bridge. You discover that the pedestrian walkways of the bridge are in bad shape, just even with the help of the kites down to the foot of the bridge, walk the canoes , and reach the other side, on the Island (Florianópolis, a Island south of Brazil, were I live). Very careful with the radioactive fish and the usual enemies. At the end , face the "Ratungo beach" (Beach big rat), an official of Industry Pop which is not a bad guy, he just needs to be reeducated .

- Stage 4 : Sucked into the cyber reality you should go a long way to network. Beware of computer viruses, and spans of data that try to end Zé bucket adventure. In the third area of security systems Ind. POP has changed the whole schedule, bringing a caricature of cyber beach with Geodesic (The Ratungo scene). At this point beware of Foufauaua , "Viruses Trojans ' marine , tidal and static this bad internet connection. At the exit of cyberspace you face a Macro Virus, which draws little zombie virus. Hit the core of this virus to stop their malicious intentions .

- If you get to the end to watch the presentation of works of art referenced and used in the scenarios of the game.

(04-18-2014, 10:06 PM)Level 1 Wrote: [ -> ]I have to ask, what is the story behind the game? I know you play as a "fucking organic garbage barrel" or Joe Bucket, but other than from your first two posts, I got nothing, the videos didn't explain much to me about the plot, or the back story of Joe.

Also, about...

The Adventures of Joe bucket is an "educational" game developed with the Arcade Game Studio ( ARGS ) a Bruno R. Marcos's program. The game proposes to unite the social environmental content and contextualizing with a fun and fluid gameplay . When we think of games with such "educational" content, games usually refer us little polished, poor gameplay , and overall boring. The intent here is to combine fun with instructional content .

The whole context of the creation of this game comes from two years of operation with the research group "Art and Life in the limits of representation" (from UDESC, State University of Santa Catarina, Brazil, bachelor of visual arts), with research and extension projects in the Chico Mendes community, along with the design of the Revolution of buckets, and "Geodesic Itinerant Cultural collective" (a collective of contemporany artists), to which I belong , in Florianópolis . The Social Project of the Revolution of buckets , which is the community in partnership with CEPAGRO, collects organic waste from the community allocating them to the production of fertilizer .

Inserted in this context, we group research, set off the idea of ​​never create just to create representations, they were not enough for theselves, but the representation must be the result of actions that interfere in the real context. In other words create pictures, but if they were consequences of actions, as well as its subsequent formalization generated other actions that generated more images (representations ) .

In this experiment did not share with the community just execution of the images , but the creative act itself . Ie , these representations were not only our vision of reality, but the sight of the people in the community who were involved in the Revolution of buckets project.

Following from this logic, the activity of building vertical gardens with tires and garbage materials became a championship "flip tires" ( inside out ) . Make contact with the womens of the revolution turned the shared building a roadmap for an animated movie , where rats , the old problem of the community turned playful characters .

We Lead womens of the revolution to the university ( UDESC ) turned workshops producing sculptures , dolls mice , clay , plaster casts , which in turn became workshops for making vases and ceramic vertical gardens in the community . Install the gardens produced the sidewalks and courtyards of homes in the community turned into a " Parade of mice " , where dressed in costumes of rats with musical instruments , there was a magical moment of allusion to the Pied Piper , with almost 50 children following the music parade and learning about the gardens and their care .

The images of the procession turned film shows, as well as a comic book ( comics ) , a playful and narrative thats speak of the action of installing gardens, their care, and performed as authoring activity shared with members of the revolution, that their voice was in speech bubbles of the characters (and these activities were my greatest contribution to the project, I love Games and Comics). These comics were published in the homely way , and distributed in the following two stages during the installation of more vertical gardens in the community .

Alan Moore, author of comics like Watchmen , Swamp Thing , V for Vendetta , among others , says that when we create a narrative is necessary to go beyond the main characters. You need to create the entire context surrounding the characters : their social relations, how to live, what they do, power relations, etc. , that universe which includes the narrative. Well , this task is shortened when I create the characters and the game script and argument from a real context , which I experienced as a participant.

Besides all this , also come into my game repertoire, and a will that come from childhood to produce my own game .

The idea for the main character, Joe bucket came from the blue canisters that collect organic waste as well as the Rayman character , the eponymous game, with his arms and legs floating. This style of character precedes the game, appearing in old cartoons, and who knows where before that. They also remind me action figures and manipulated dolls by " invisible " strings of puppetry.

Other games that inspired me were: Earthworm Jim , for his good humor, playfulness and surrealism; Battletoads, for its creative level design and gameplay varies the dynamics of each stage, and Cool Spot also by his humor and gameplay. Surely other references are made beyond this I can enumerate.

And, thanks forthe question, Level 1 Smile

I'll try to answer all questions and criticism, for my is a pleasure, besides my dificult with English.

Do any questions about the uses of ARGS, i've have done some "work around" in the limitations of the engine, like de vitality bar in the bottom right of he screen. There were others limitations that annoy me, but I'm still tring to work around, or collect them to asc Bruno R. marcos what he can do about.
Vers. 1.0.0 is out in 2 editions:

Normal Dificult:
As Aventuras de Zé Baldinho - Normal

Easy Dificult:
As Aventuras de Zé Baldinho - Easy

Blog:
As Aventuras de Zé Baldinho Blog

Thanks