The VG Resource

Full Version: What you like about Mario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Considering that today is Mario day, I thought it would be fitting to discuss your favorite memories, moments, and characters relating to Nintendo's flagship franchise. Also, if you'd like to talk about fan projects you had in the past or the present relating to Mario, go ahead and discuss them.

To begin this discussion, the first Mairo game I ever played was Super Mario 64. Prior to that, I didn't know much about Mario besides watching some neighbors of mine play SM64 when I was about six or seven years old in Japan. When I played Mario, I was introduced to a lot of amazing characters, such as the title character, Bowser, Big Bob-omb, Koopa the Quick, and many others. In addition to that, the fact that I could explore such interesting worlds like a towering mountain of snow and a pyramid full of quicksand is a real treat. You wouldn't believe all the stories I have to share about this game!

Mario is cool yes

Usually when I play a Mario game, no mater how bad people think, I have a lot of fun. Tight platforming jumps and fun music are a constant thing in Mario games.
i've had a weird relationship with mario. i've always loved the series and its characters and music, but i've never been any good at most of them.

to date, mario games i've cleared (with or without 100%ing):
-super mario land 2
-super mario galaxy
-super mario galaxy 2
-new super mario bros.
-new super mario bros. wii
-super mario 3d world

and that's about it, barring spinoffs in different genres. if i wanted to, i could probably beat super mario world or the other 3d games, but the rest of the 2d ones aren't for me. i'm too reckless and speedy to get far in those games without lots of practice and memorization.
(03-10-2014, 10:24 AM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]Mario is cool yes

Usually when I play a Mario game, no mater how bad people think, I have a lot of fun. Tight platforming jumps and fun music are a constant thing in Mario games.

I agree. Big Grin
(03-10-2014, 10:29 AM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: [ -> ]i've had a weird relationship with mario. i've always loved the series and its characters and music, but i've never been any good at most of them.

if i wanted to, i could probably beat super mario world or the other 3d games, but the rest of the 2d ones aren't for me. i'm too reckless and speedy to get far in those games without lots of practice and memorization.

Sounds like your more of a Sonic guy then if you like speeding through levels like that, CBL. It would defiantly explain your choice of color. To prevent myself from talking too much about it I have to say that I have a similar relationship involving the Sonic games.

Anyway, while I do like the 2-D platforming Mario games, I am actually more content with playing games that let you explore the world at your own pace without a time limit (but at the same time providing an atmosphere that is a good balance of realistic and cartoony). That's what I like about the first several 3-D Mario platformers and the Mario RPGs. Also, this applies to a game like Yoshi's Island.
in most of the games the designs never fail, and nothing feels out of place
it builds a really cohesive universe

also
paper mario TTYD WHO THE FUCK IS WITH ME
There's hardly anyone alive who doesn't like the second Paper Mario game. It takes what's good about the first game and improves it in multiple ways! Basiclly, it's like Nintendo's answer to Banjo-Tooie.

Out of all the characters I have encountered in that game, my personal favorite is Doopliss. Since then, Doopliss has been an important reoccurring character in a lot of my stories for years (even to the point where he was my co-host in my interview show on Lemmy's Land).
Super Mario is at best when it's a timeless quality like something from a story book or fable, To me Super Mario Galaxy brings everything that makes Mario great in one package, great platform design, tight controls, a good difficulty and music that makes your ears drool.

Still...Wario is cooler.
Personally, I'm more of a Wario guy myself. I didn't care for him when I first saw him in Mario Kart 64 (I thought he was just some generic villain that only wants to cause others a hard time), but when I played Wario Land 3 for the first time many years ago, I actually found out that there's more than meets the eye about him. Not only does he have more powerful abilities than Mario (not shrinking when getting touched by a blunt enemy is one of them), but the way he changes is shape through attacks is very clever. Also, I liked the concept of collecting little trinkets in each level that open new areas and activate new events elsewhere on the island. After that, I went ahead to know Wario better and he's one of my favorite characters of all time.
It's hard to say what draws people to mario, other than the game play, since mario has been an icon since before most of us even started playing games.
Mario really isn't an exceptional character, and really the most interesting thing about him is how he is perceived by other characters in the rpgs. You could try to apply a bunch of traits to him, like he's heroic or hard working, but as a character he isn't faced with the trails or challenges for these things to be applicable. I'm pretty confident that if he was replaced with another character in his original appearances, we'd have pretty much the same perception of that character if the game play was the same in those games.
Some people would probably argue that he's a good role model for uniquely heroes, but that's only if you really don't think about things like character motivation and the means and difficulty by which mario accomplishes his achievements.

My favorite mario game is the original smb on nes, and in that game the palette, music, and control are all seem to matter more than the specific characters. The only one that really matters is the princess, since she gives the player a goal. Mario serves as a basic humanoid that we can attribute traits to, but doesn't really have any by default.
Super Mario Bros 3 for the NES was not only the first game I ever played, it was probably the first videogame I ever saw.

I'd say part of what made it so interesting to me was the design of all the characters. Sometimes I would just flip through the pages of the instruction manual and look at all the pictures.
I played through the original mario as a kid. I don't think I ever beat it though.
I do love that he's a template for creativity though. Say what you will, but when a character being in a game creates an entire genre, and this happens consistently, then that character is a very good innovative tool.
I don't think its fair to attribute the success of the franchise on the pretty much interchangeable cast.
Mario's true innovation was more the level design and control and how it integrated story into a game cohesively, and how people of all ages could play it.
(03-10-2014, 12:12 PM)Omega Wrote: [ -> ]Still...Wario is cooler.

i just got back into wario land 3 after buying it on my 3ds the other day, and it's really rekindling my wario love. the only real problems with it is how the levels are nearly always designed to set you really far back after a small mistake. you gotta know what you're doing!

also, fuck the soccer bunny.
(03-10-2014, 01:35 PM)Zac Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think its fair to attribute the success of the franchise on the pretty much interchangeable cast.
Mario's true innovation was more the level design and control and how it integrated story into a game cohesively, and how people of all ages could play it.

fair enough.
Pages: 1 2