The VG Resource

Full Version: How would you change a game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
While some people would go by the "it ain't broken, so don't fix it" mentality for a lot of video games, I'm willing to bet there are some people who would like to do a change or two to some of their games if they're capable of doing it. Basically, the purpose of this topic is to just state the kind of changes you would like to implement in any game of your choice and discuss them. Before I begin, though, I would appreciate it if we don't discuss things such as Rare not getting bought by Microsoft or Smash Bros. rosters because those things have already been talked about to death elsewhere and I'm not in the mode for those kind of debates.

To start things up, it would be really cool if they added a few more courses in Super Mario 64. Since Nintendo was going to implement over 30 worlds into it during development, it wouldn't hurt to squeeze a few more in. All they need to do is move some of the castle secret stars into the star set for each world and remove the somewhat tedious 100 coin missions. That way, they would have plenty of stars to use for a few more levels.
First person mode in Pokemon X/Y.
Stage builder in any 2-D Mario platformer.
dynamic camera angles in kirby return to dream land
Fucking make pokemon brutal

and more like the mangas
(03-08-2014, 04:06 PM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: [ -> ]Stage builder in any 2-D Mario platformer.

Stage Builders in general would be amazing.
Swap out the Tanooki Suit in Super Mario 3D Land/World for the Raccoon Suit and replace the Handkerchief Tanooki Suit with the regular Tanooki Suit.

Seriously.
Fix all of the bugs in the Mass Effect Trilogy.
Oh, you know what else I would do?

Make "Dashers" a vehicle class in the Mario Kart franchise. Obviously, Dashers would be two-person vehicles that operate on the same mechanics used in Double Dash. They'd be larger and slower than the other vehicles by default (allowing them to win against most karts in a bump contest), with a lot of their grip determined by the weight balance and distribution of the player characters. I guess having an additional character holding the items might also give them a bit of a buffer when it comes to that item-losing mechanic that I hate in general. I haven't really thought about that part much.
In the past I've discussed in great detaiil what needed to be done in order to fix DK64. Not here but somewhere else. I'll have to search around.
If there is one thing I would like to see changed in any Banjo-Kazooie game (besides the obvious choices), I would like more exploration of Gruntilda's Lair. Besides adding a few more rooms in the first game, it would be nice to at least explore more of the lair in the other games in the series instead f having it blocked off. I'm not saying that you should make the old worlds accessible again, but it would be nice to be able to explore the lair up to the part where Gruntilda's private chambers are.
(03-09-2014, 11:28 AM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]If there is one thing I would like to see changed in any Banjo-Kazooie game

if there's one thing i'd like to see it's less googly eyes and more memorable disney-esque enemies

(zing)

oh speaking of disney: kingdom hearts. less anime more disney. [/thread]
(03-09-2014, 11:30 AM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]oh speaking of disney: kingdom hearts. less anime more disney. [/thread]

that's not fair if it wasn't for anime it would just be another shitty disney interactive title

(And there's still a lot of disney)

(anime is disney anyway)
Donkey kong country returns: replace the spinning saw blade tikis with Zingers.
(03-09-2014, 11:30 AM)Kosheh Wrote: [ -> ]oh speaking of disney: kingdom hearts. less anime more disney. [/thread]

You've got a point about Kingdom Hearts giving Disney a backseat. What I really like about the first game is that not only could you explore the world in a fashion reminiscent of a classic N64 platform game, but you interact with the Disney worlds far more. Sure, there are some original characters, but they don't overshadow the Disney characters in any way and complement them really well (just enough to keep it from being a generic Disney game like Mutsukki said). As for the second game, despite doing an impressive overhaul of the battle system and making a deeper story (even if it does lead to confusion), the Disney characters make way for the Organization to the point where they feel like they are less involved with the actual story and more tacked on as an afterthought. Personally, if I was designing KH2, I would have some more world interaction, have some characters from different Disney franchises interact with each other in some way (i.e. Have a side quest that has Sora bring Beast to Halloween Town to raise a good scare for Jack), and make the exploration like it was in the first game as opposed to the relatively empty rooms you walk around in and rarely have to jump to move forward.

While I'm on the subject of Kingdom Hearts changes, there is one original character I would like to change. I'm not sure how many people would agree with me on this, but I would honestly like to change Kairi. As she was in the first game, that isn't really a problem. She seems relatively perky, is capable of being deep and understanding, and she has the potential to hold well on her own as much as Sora and Riku can. Plus, if you look at her appearance, she looks girly, but not girly enough to label her as such. On top of that, not only does it imply far less than other games that Kairi is supposed to be Sora's love interest, but the way she was a damsel in distress is far more understandable (she was in a coma of sorts that kept her out of the action for awhile). Even when she was back on her feet, she asked Sora if she could tag along to aid him on the quest (only to have Sora politely turn her down for safety concerns). Even though it's not a whole lot, Kairi had a lot of potential to become a competent female protagonist in the first game provided Square-Enix continued to develop her in that direction.

Then we have Kairi as she appears in KH2. I can understand that a one year time skip took place, but it is barely excusable to shape her into a more feminine character by changing her overall body appearance and having her wear a Japanese schoolgirl uniform and the kind of pink dress only models would wear. Also, a lot of her chipper personality from the first game gets replaced with a more dull and somewhat restrained personality that is quite common to see in a lot of female characters. Besides the fact that she was kidnapped consciously and the SoraxKairi relation is more enforced than in the last game, her only bit of action in the game is fending off a couple of mid-level Heartless with the most girly Keyblade I have ever seen. Mix in the fact that she doesn't get a while lot of action in the other games and you got yourself a character that Square-Enix basically wasted.

Personally, if it was me looking after the character, I would give her the kind of playable role Riku had in the games, have her remain in the same outfit she has worn since the beginning (even if it may be a little redesigned to make it less feminine), make her body growth a little more subtle, give her a more interesting weapon besides a Keyblade fit for a certain flower girl from another of Square's games, make sure she and Sora remains friends while only sprinkling hints of romantic attraction for both Sora and Riku without going too far, and her original personality mix with bits and pieces from both Sora and Riku.
Pages: 1 2 3