The VG Resource

Full Version: RPG Sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I sprited Link.

[Image: x4eA2LA.png]

2x version

[Image: JVeM0ka.png]

It looks a bit weird, might be the head placement.

(Also, I'm still working on the Ike GBA animation, but I'm lazy and I make about 3 frames a week...)
That you mention it, it likely is the head placement that makes it look rather...odd. It looks either as if he is very hunched over or is one of those bodybuilders who stereotypically has no visible neck.
That being said, Link really isn't the bulky type. It looks as if you're portraying him as such here; I would definitely try to work on that...unless that is what you were trying to go for.

A small nitpick, but you may want a slightly darker outline color. It's pretty similar to the darkest green shade, there.

Also, his shield...it looks elliptical. Tear-shaped. Last I checked, Link's shield had a shape more like this:
[Image: Hylian_Shield_Icon_SS.png]

Not bad so far, overall; keep on trucking!
(02-21-2014, 08:59 PM)Speed-X Wrote: [ -> ]Link really isn't the bulky type. It looks as if you're portraying him as such here; I would definitely try to work on that...unless that is what you were trying to go for.

I was actually going for a bit of a bulky design, similar to heroes in a rogue platformer, like in Rogue Legacy. But I could always change it.

(02-21-2014, 08:59 PM)Speed-X Wrote: [ -> ]A small nitpick, but you may want a slightly darker outline color. It's pretty similar to the darkest green shade, there.

Will do.

(02-21-2014, 08:59 PM)Speed-X Wrote: [ -> ]Also, his shield...it looks elliptical. Tear-shaped. Last I checked, Link's shield had a shape more like this:
[Image: Hylian_Shield_Icon_SS.png]

I was a bit lazy making the shield, so I'll probably fix it.

Also, thanks for feedback!
Ok, spriting Link got kinda boring, so I began making some RPG sprites.

Here is the first attempt.
[Image: wdjE1xa.png]

Now, this was my first time spriting something so big, so it didn't really go well. Also I'm rusty. But anyway, since spriting something of this size was such a challenge I think I'll make it smaller (and maybe change the style a bit).
Ah, wow, I didn't expect a sprite of this scale after reading "RPG Sprites"; pretty surprising!

That said, it does need some tweaking.
- I think his head might be a bit off-center. Perhaps try moving it forward a little?

- His sclerae could probably use a little more lighting.

- The hands are, err...Perhaps because you are used to smaller scales, you would go with such a simple way of representing them. At this scale though, you probably can get away with a tad more detail, or at least shaping the outlines in such a way that suggests finger divisions. Try looking for reference pictures, or even taking pictures of yourself at this angle if you struggle with hand anatomy.

-The way the head+neck are shaded, along with the shoes, is a lot different from the pants and shirt. In fact, the whole outfit looks like a work in progress, and clashes drastically with the head and shoes.
I assume the black things next to his neck are supposed to form a collar, but they don't run along the collar area of the shirt, just the back of the neck.
The pauldron looks particularly rough, the outline being all jaggy and the shading not giving any hints of what it's supposed to be made of.
Its strap also seems to run strictly on a 2D plane, instead of following the depth angle suggested by the chest.

-The shading on the clothes isn't really adequate for the texture implied; If it's a cloth texture, folds and wrinkles must be present. For instance, where the pants meet the shoes, you'd expect there to be wrinkles on the pants to show the 'pull' from the shoes on that area of the cloth. As with the pauldron, there are a few jaggies, especially on the sleeves.

-Finally, his pose seems kind of stiff. I figure you're experimenting, so it's possible you weren't going for anything in particular, but I thought I should mention it anyway.

Maybe that was too much input at once, so I hope it isn't too discouraging. I think the design is pretty cool, however, and I liked the colors you picked in general. I had trouble wording some things, so I hope the message gets across correctly.
Last thing I posted was a work in progress, I forgot to mention that.
Also, you're right about the pose.

Here's the new version, tried fixing some things.

[Image: jSRBYfL.png]

I can't get the shading right, and it's annoying me.
Also hands. Hands are hard.
Im no expert but Im pretty sure the foot closer to us should be oriented towards the "camera"
he looks kind of fat :L
Warned for Necropost

(OP message a staff member if you want this open again if you make updates)