The VG Resource

Full Version: Kirby Advance Style KDL2 Enemies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all,Hello everyone. I'm kirbio.(The same one at Fusion Fangaming reactor)
As you can see,I had joined this forum a very long time ago. But I have nothing to post here.

But currently,I have started a little project as I come across Kirby Advance style sprites tutorial. I want to make some Kirby enemies that doesn't exist in this style to be one.

Here's my current progress. What do you think?
[Image: KDL2_KA_Sprites_V_0_1.png]

Stay tunes for more!
I'm currently doing only KDL2 Enemies now,But there's also a chance for KRtDL and K3D enemies too! Wink

Comment,Criticism welcome! ^^

PSUnsurehould this belongs to Sprites Projects? I'm not sure.
Let's take a look, shall we? No one has posted here yet, unfortunately...time to change that!

Okay, so here's my first point. It's mostly personal preference and appears to be true to the actual style, but I just...felt the need to point it out.
[Image: gQmKhch.png]
That shade is used as a buffer between, for instance, Kirby's first and third shades of pink. I didn't really understand why at first, but upon looking at it more closely, that little shade that barely contrasts really does appear to make a difference. A small one at first glance, but...well, a bit less small when looking at it more closely.
But alas, I'm going off on a tangent here. While it shouldn't have very much contrast from the first and third shades, try giving it slightly more. Just a little.

Of course, this could also tie over with another thing I'm about to go over: hue-shifting. It looks like you need to use it, especially with the first, yellow Propeller. The Spriting Dictionary shows you a basic overview of it in the OP, but in my honest opinion, this thread on Pixel Joint has an explanation about it that is a bit more in-depth.

Hue-shifting can be rather difficult with the color yellow. Especially the yellow tones that are lighter and maybe a little more dull, like the color you've used here.

Thirdly, on the Drifter--mainly on the first sprite--you seemed to have pillow-shaded a bit here, which isn't needed since the seams on umbrellas don't typically cast a shadow enough that should be noticeable in such a sprite as this. Also, maybe you could try a little more contrast? Just a little. :>

Just wanted to throw in my two cents! :>

Edit: well, that was a little derpy of me. It might have been helpful if I would have actually posted that image. x]