The VG Resource

Full Version: John4300's arcade submissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there!
I've been making quite a lot of rips for my own fan-game projects, usually never to be seen by the public, so I decided I should upload some of them for the rest of the game makers there!

I'll start with some sprite rips from Arcade Raiden 2!

Raiden 2 (Arcade)

Player ship
[Image: lOYePKP.png]

I noticed just while ago that Raiden 2's MAME doesn't have scrambled sprites anymore! While the game still doesn't work, the sprites look pretty, and I've always loved Raiden games! ^^

Raiden shows someone's fetish to programming and spriting, and has quite complicated sprites. I tried to include some explanation about usage of the sprites, but if it's unnecessary, I can remove it.
This is also my first submission, so if something needs to be changed, please do tell!

I'll continue up with some fire and explosion sprites next, once I get the sheets ready.
I still don't understand why this game is still unplayable. (if just MAMEdev would stop with those videopoker bullcrap and work on the REAL games again...)
(02-02-2014, 12:43 PM)Magma Dragoon Wrote: [ -> ]I still don't understand why this game is still unplayable. (if just MAMEdev would stop with those videopoker bullcrap and work on the REAL games again...)

The game has some really complicated protection system, from what I've understood, which is also used in few other Seibu games, most notably in Raiden DX.
But hey, at least they HAVE made some progress, the sprites are usable now!
I'm posting a new reply here now, even it's a double post. I'm not sure what should I do if I have new sheets to upload, should I edit them to my older posts or make a new reply?

Anyhow, misc fire sprites. Mostly used for damaged enemies, possibly for enviromental damage also.

Raiden 2 (Arcade)
Fire SFX
[Image: 0rpkuXV.png]
Just name it "Fire SFX".

And as long as it is your own topic there is no problem in double-posting.
Well, these aren't explosions, but some huuuuge sprites anyhow: The aircraft carrier you start the games on! I even ripped them from both first games, 1 and 2!

Ripping the aircraft carrier on Raiden 2 was a real pain, as Raiden 2 on MAME uses black background, with black outlines... So I had to take the tileset with another color, and make that one black to make the shadows. I'm pretty happy of the outcome though, these things are HUGE! You can't even see them fully horizontally in game!

And weirdly enough, Raiden 1's has carrier has two different sets, one is used mid-game. Details you probably never noticed, but are rather cool!

So, here are the sprites (Huge images incoming):

Raiden 1 Arcade
Aircraft Carrier
[Image: w1vPU8A.png]

Raiden 2 Arcade
Aircraft Carrier
[Image: jdl5QUw.png]

EDIT: Quick edit on Raiden 1 carrier, had background color wrong on few spots.
Wow! Feel free to submit them to the site so we can OK them!
(02-11-2014, 11:21 AM)Ton Wrote: [ -> ]Wow! Feel free to submit them to the site so we can OK them!

Do I need to submit these somewhere else to be uploaded on Spriter's Resource? I thought this place was enough. xD
(02-11-2014, 04:14 PM)John4300 Wrote: [ -> ]Do I need to submit these somewhere else to be uploaded on Spriter's Resource? I thought this place was enough. xD

Actually, theres now a new function: click the submit button at the top of spriter-ressource.com page to access it. You will also have to add an icon, heres a link to the Icon maker thread.
(02-11-2014, 05:20 PM)daemoth Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, theres now a new function: click the submit button at the top of spriter-ressource.com page to access it. You will also have to add an icon, heres a link to the Icon maker thread.

Ah, alright. I'll do the icons at some point and upload them to the main page - right now I'm kinda busy for the time being.

Should I keep posting the sprites I make here, or just upload them straight to the main page from now on?

Thanks for the help!
(02-11-2014, 05:24 PM)John4300 Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, alright. I'll do the icons at some point and upload them to the main page - right now I'm kinda busy for the time being.

Should I keep posting the sprites I make here, or just upload them straight to the main page from now on?

Thanks for the help!
Well, its far more efficient and less work for both you and the mods to directly upload it to tsr: you dont have to upload your image on another site and the mods only have to press "Accept" to make your image available on tsr. But feel free to post them here if you want some feedback though.
I have a slight problem with Raiden 2's section icon: As the arcade version is still unplayble, bullets won't be drawn on screen. This makes the icons quite boring.

I tried to take few screenshots, I wonder if one of these works okay as an icon?

[Image: QmQWkW7.png]
[Image: j2vmkli.png]

Here are also two for Raiden 1.

[Image: 6KHFRL5.png]
[Image: 3FQIOVh.png]

Any opinions, are one of these okay, or should I try to take better ones?
Any of these looks fine to me, its completely understandable why you cant get better so no worries.
You could always get screenshots from Raiden Project (it is arcade perfect so no worries).