The VG Resource

Full Version: Klonoa(MegaMan Style)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here is a [rejected by Dazz] sprite sheet I made:Klonoa in Mega Man Style:
[Image: 00buoNX.png]

If there is anything I could change,Let me know.
Well first of all he looks like a kid with giant hair rather than an animal thing Klonoa was.
The problem is it looks like a bad MS Paint Mega Man rather than Klonoa. I know you say you are basing it on Mega Man style (it's currently not, too many colors, etc), but you could surely do SOMETHING to make him fit in better.
I love that pairing too.
(01-05-2014, 07:12 PM)Tom Guicote Wrote: [ -> ]The problem is it looks like a bad MS Paint Mega Man rather than Klonoa. I know you say you are basing it on Mega Man style (it's currently not, too many colors, etc), but you could surely do SOMETHING to make him fit in better.

I used paint.net,not microsoft paint! maybe,it's the fact that i forgot to add a nose,or more leg editing.
I honestly think you'd need to make a sprite from scratch to make it look authentic. Editing Mega Man will make it look like some mutated Megaman instead of the character you're going for.
Yeah, there are a lot of issues with this. It still looks like Megaman, the ears look like big blobs, the NES color limit has been ignored, etc.

It's not in a "style" so much as it's a beginner's cut and paste job.
I think it would be better to simply draw it from scratch, too. You can copy the poses of Megaman, then you could call it Megaman-style in terms of gameplay compatibility, but there's some things you should take into consideration if you want him to look like Klonoa:

Klonoa's ears need to be thinner at the base and wider at the tips.
His arms should be much skinnier than Megaman's.
Give him a muzzle. Use the Neo Geo version of Tails if you need help making an animal face at that size.
His ring needs to be smaller. Also when he uses it, it has a recoil, so try to show that.

Make those happen, and your sprite will look much better. Also, don't try to make NES style sprites of modern characters, cuz they're too colorful to pull off unless you intend to make a monochrome version or the sprite is split into parts.
Before you read all of these and get discouraged, they are not telling you that you can't make sprites, or can't make them in this style...

But we all recommend if you want to learn to make pixel art, you will need to make something yourself, which really means making a sprite from scratch. Try to not worry about quantity, quantity gets easier once you get more used to the art. What would you rather, a complete sheet of passable sprites, or a good sprite that you truly understand (that you could probably animate in a lot less time).

This is a skill, not unlike learning to ride a bike, playing an instrument, or playing a sport. No one starts out as Mozart or Lance Armstrong. They did not write a sonata or had a major race before learning to balance, or learning what the treble clef is. What I'm trying to say is that it isn't easy or fast, but if you care about it, you really can take this anywhere you want.

But, it will mean a lot of improvement, a lot of change. Take every piece of advice with a grain of salt. Forget about how much effort was put into it, and focus on understanding what they are trying to tell you. It is always a chance for improvement, and improvement means not doing things the way we are used to.

Good luck, and keep spriting, Sir Ethan!
(01-10-2014, 08:37 AM)Midi Wrote: [ -> ]I think it would be better to simply draw it from scratch, too. You can copy the poses of Megaman, then you could call it Megaman-style in terms of gameplay compatibility, but there's some things you should take into consideration if you want him to look like Klonoa:

Klonoa's ears need to be thinner at the base and wider at the tips.
His arms should be much skinnier than Megaman's.
Give him a muzzle. Use the Neo Geo version of Tails if you need help making an animal face at that size.
His ring needs to be smaller. Also when he uses it, it has a recoil, so try to show that.

Make those happen, and your sprite will look much better. Also, don't try to make NES style sprites of modern characters, cuz they're too colorful to pull off unless you intend to make a monochrome version or the sprite is split into parts.
I'll do a v2 with Neo Geo Pocket Color Tails sprites+Mega Man Sprites.
[Image: V73tDwR.png]
It's a bit of an improvement. At least you can tell he has an animal muzzle now, but I just don't think that stance is working for him. His ear should be pointing more downwards when he's standing still. If it's out to the side like that, it'll appear weightless. Remember, his ears have flesh (and apparently muscles) in them, so keep that in mind.
[Image: e0be16cd0db95227435728dae4dfcbfd.gif]
this is a test image for the idle stance
his ears are supposed to blow in the wind.
(01-31-2014, 10:01 AM)Midi Wrote: [ -> ]It's a bit of an improvement. At least you can tell he has an animal muzzle now, but I just don't think that stance is working for him. His ear should be pointing more downwards when he's standing still. If it's out to the side like that, it'll appear weightless. Remember, his ears have flesh (and apparently muscles) in them, so keep that in mind.

or I could do his PS1 Design,with less color
I would use his GBA sprites. Those are what I used for my character's animations, along with help from Grant Beaudette on Youtube who makes fantastic animation analysis videos.
[Image: klonoaversion1mm16910style_zps88ff6174.png]

Mine is still better
Pages: 1 2