The VG Resource

Full Version: Playstation 3
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.doodader.com/2008/07/playstation-3.html

Now, the PS3 is obviously a very respectable piece of hardware. I mean sure, it's got the Blu-Ray, the Cell Processor .. but how much of that is necessary? It's been said before, and will be said until the PS3 actually ends up having the fate of the Atari or Dreamcast, Sony is toying with it's own success as if they aren't taking it seriously at all. As said on the Economist, Sony is riding on the PS3's ultimate fate of win or lose. Right now, in the so called "Console wars" the PS3 is losing, and badly at that. Nintendo's softcore Wii is taking the cake from everyone by using cheap parts and gimmicky controls and by doing that brainwashing everyone into thinking, "Man! that Wii is so fun! Lets go to the store every day until they finally have the nerve to release a few, then snatch them all up! Sell them on eBay! And further screw with the videogame economy!" So here's what we have. A very successful Wii after a very unsucessful Gamecube, an even worse successful PS3 than the gamecube, and that's it.

Wait. That's not it, the 360! Oh yeah, duh, how could I forget. Call me a fanboy if you must, but it'd be stupid in the fact that I actually currently own all three of these consoles, but I could ho hardedly say the 360 is the best in terms of fun, and in terms of money. Consider this, the 360 has sold about just as many as the Wii, given it's one year head start, that's not too good. BUT, you have to remember, that the 360 first of all costs at least $100 more than the Wii the entire year it was having it's head start, and LIVE costs consumers anywhere from $55 - $180 a year. And lets see, how many people are being charged like this? 12,000,000 people. So lets do some simple math here. Lets say each of these people are paying an average of $110 a year for XBL, which is actually more on the low side. I won't spoil it, but I will spill that it's more than $1,000,000,000 a year. Compared to Nintendo's and Sony's online services, that's a lot. (Considering since they don't charge, they don't actually make any money from subscriptions. Not rocket science, here.)

Maybe it's just that I'm grumpy with the PS3's fanbase, but I strongly believe they're going under in the way I mentioned before, Dreamcast style. Which was also very sad because the Dreamcast had a lot going for it, terribly expensive, crappy online gaming, those crazy weird DVDs it used that never became popular, an impossible to develop for archetecture ... wait ... are we talking about the PS3 here? I rest my case.
Well you're about 6 months late on this.

The "PS3 has no games, can't find a Wii anywhere" line of thinking has long since been rectified on both accounts. I for one will enjoy Little Big Planet.
tl;dr

I get the general gist of fanboyism and unnecessary complaining however.
everyone knows that the PS3 is going to be the best by the end, no matter how many Wii systems are bought.

Wii is gimmicky and comes out with party games once a week, 360 systems are unstable and unreliable. once PS3 gets more games out people will be going batshit for it. hell, MGS4 is almost enough to sell anyone to the PS3
Wii won't challenge it as anything more than a gimmik for old people and youngin's, but people are far too harsh on the 360, because it doesn't explode as much as people think and it's a great console.

If anything it'll be a battle between those two, you certainly can't say it's a PS3 victory already, when despite 360's flaws it's still selling well.

You also forget that not only does PS3 slowly get more games, but the 360 systems slowly becomes more reliable...

Mine still hasn't broken, and I've yet to see one break from anybody who turns it off when they're done playing it.
(09-28-2008, 05:58 PM)Confessor Wrote: [ -> ]Wii won't challenge it as anything more than a gimmik for old people and youngin's, but people are far too harsh on the 360, because it doesn't explode as much as people think and it's a great console.

If anything it'll be a battle between those two, you certainly can't say it's a PS3 victory already, when despite 360's flaws it's still selling well.

You also forget that not only does PS3 slowly get more games, but the 360 systems slowly becomes more reliable...

Mine still hasn't broken, and I've yet to see one break from anybody who turns it off when they're done playing it.

Yeah, key words.
(09-28-2008, 11:57 PM)Djanjo Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-28-2008, 05:58 PM)Confessor Wrote: [ -> ]Wii won't challenge it as anything more than a gimmik for old people and youngin's, but people are far too harsh on the 360, because it doesn't explode as much as people think and it's a great console.

Yeah, key words.

I've yet to see you get punched in the face.

Yeah, key words.
god damnit I hate stupid people

"Let's have a serious debate!" "No, let's bash 360!"
After sending my 360 off no less than 12 times saying that it isn't 'that' un-reliable just makes me laugh.
"Bawww, Wii's game-related gimmicks are outselling and surpassing PS3's unrelated gimmicks. Baww it's gay that the Wii is beating PS3 when the PS2 bested the gamecube. 360 is clearly best because it's cheaper and more fun than everything else. 360 has no faults to note so everyone should worship it and Wii sucks. +more despair that the PS3 isn't doing as well as PS2"

...Did I get that right?

Really, I have nothing against the PS3 and 360, especially the 360, and admittedly, I am partial to the Wii, but I still gotta say that this article is pretty sorry.
I still don't see how people can be so negative towards a game console they don't like.
I think every game console has it's pro's and cons.
If I had the money, I'd buy every console out there, no question.
I think they all kick ass.
So I don't see why other people can't think that way, and gotta go on ranting about how their system, "Are clearly superior to another."
PS3 as far as I see it, is doing terrible because they are not getting more games, and they have in fact lost a few exclusives. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the PS3 lost some sales due to the fact they increased the price from it's actual production cost? Sure they lowered the price on it but there still not selling well for the PS3 because people are loose interest in it, mainly because the Wii and 360 are gaining more intrerest. Eventually the PS3 will loose.

If sony even comes out with a PS4, it will most likely get discontinued. Because one way or another nintendo and microsoft are going to find a way to atract more coustomers with even newer gimmicks on there next system. Even if Sony tries to combat them there not going to do it without copying off of nintendo or microsoft, If they copy off of the wii then it's going to end up in a lawsuit, and I am talking about the Wiimote and it's hardware controls. As for microsoft I don't know what sony will copy off of them, but it's most likely going to involve software.

As for sony's PSP, I dunno how thats doing, but it might be loosing to the DS. The PSP is actually pretty good far as I see it.

Ether way sony is going to loose eventually, but thats how I see it. But wait til Koopaul the nintendo fan addict (who is otherwise likley to be a clone of DK, spliced with a Koopa) shows up, he will have something to say thats a page long.
PS3 isn't doing terrible. Nothing is doing terrible - well except the 360 in Japan but hey, even that had some good weeks not long ago.
The price really isn't that high. Too high for casual Wii owners maybe, but any gamer that knows what it has to offer would realize $400 is very reasonable.

$100 more than a 360 with a smaller hard drive, no blu-ray support (pretty much at $400 right there), and no wireless support out of the box. And if that's not enough of a difference, the free online play makes it up after 2 years.

Yes the 360 has more games, and in many cases better games, but the PS3 hardware is a much better deal.
The main thing about the PS3's price.

Over priced gaming console, but a cheap blu-ray dvd player.
Pages: 1 2