The VG Resource

Full Version: Shantae GBC Indoor Town Background Rips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello again, guys! Genki ^_^ Sorry I keep disappearing randomly like this, but I haven't been twiddling my thumbs! I've actually been recreating the original Shantae engine in Game Maker, for a lot of reasons, and as a result of that, it needs decent rips, which is rather lacking on this site.

Which I've sought to resolve myself! I've ripped nearly all of the background art from the original Shantae, and I'm still compiling most of it into usable sheets, but for the moment, I do at least have rips for indoor rooms for all five towns compiled into one.

Direct Link to Sta.sh : http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/3...6w8836.png

[Image: shantae_indoors_rips_by_mr_glaceon-d6w8836.png]

EDIT : Crap, why do I always forget to make the icon for these things? Included it in the post now.

[Image: BGicon.png]

My only concern is that I've made the conscious decision to only rip them in the original GBC palette, when most everything in the Shantae section is ripped in the "enhanced" GBA mode palette. Honestly, the GBA palette was designed specifically for that awfully dark LCD screen of the original GBA models, so the colors would pop out more, but for modern LCD's? The game looks badly washed out and nearly bleeds into my eyes, even on minimum brightness.

I agree it still needs preservation too, but the original GBC palette is far more future proof, and it's actually the original palette. I hope this doesn't spark a minor case of controversy.
Definite thumb's up. But shouldn't you include animation frames for the waterfalls?
I knew I was forgetting to mention something in the description. Tongue The waterfall's are the result of palette cycling, so it seemed pointless at the time. I'll squeeze in some animated tiles to the side if it's important for submission, though.

Edit : it wasn't even a big deal to make it into an animation, so I went ahead and included it in an updated file.
Do the women in the dance parlor stay completely still? No animations?
Sadly, yeah, they are static. The only animated woman in the room is the NPC you talk to. You can even see their tiles in VRAM in other stores or rooms around Scuttle Town, so those two are apart of the assets for the background scenery, from what I can tell.
How bizarre... Well, this is a great submission. You should upload it to the control panel on the main site. In case you missed it, it's the big button on the site that reads "Submit" Smile

Or you can just click right here to go to the Shantae upload page:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/cp/game_boy/shantae/
Yeah, it is odd. Tongue Otherwise, if they were animated, I would have had to include them in a separate sheet for NPCs.

Thanks, Dazz! I had no idea there was an option to submit directly to the site, that button is handy. I've already submitted it for review. I'll remember this in the future when I have more sheets of my rips compiled.