The VG Resource

Full Version: Quirby's custom Kirby sprites, NEED CHECKING
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
hi! i haven't been on lately because i was working on some sprites of Kirby that need checking.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga style :
http://quirbstheepic.deviantart.com/art/...-412575753

Super Mario RPG (only one sprite ready) :
http://quirbstheepic.deviantart.com/art/...1384387936

tell me if there's anything i can do to make it better.

LOLZ Y U READ-N DIS
Kirby looks a bit strange. The sprites sizes aren't consistance. I would pick the size that appears the most and base the other sprite sizes around those.
(11-15-2013, 02:43 PM)Vinn Wrote: [ -> ]Kirby looks a bit strange. The sprites sizes aren't consistance. I would pick the size that appears the most and base the other sprite sizes around those.

thanks for the feedback, but Kirby is small because in real life Kirbies are 12 inches (1 foot) tall.
(11-15-2013, 06:28 PM)Quirby64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-15-2013, 02:43 PM)Vinn Wrote: [ -> ]Kirby looks a bit strange. The sprites sizes aren't consistance. I would pick the size that appears the most and base the other sprite sizes around those.

thanks for the feedback, but Kirby is small because in real life Kirbies are 12 inches (1 foot) tall.

That not quite what I meant. Kirby needs to remain the same size with each sprite. Some of your sprites don't have the same proportion.
i counted each of the M&LSS and each is 15 pixels high. the diagonal sprites are larger because Mario's diagonals are bigger too.

but still, thanks for the feedback! Big Grin
I like the superstar saga one.
It has a perfect detail, I hope they make a hack of it.
(11-15-2013, 10:31 PM)Doofus Spriter Wrote: [ -> ]I like the superstar saga one.
It has a perfect detail, I hope they make a hack of it.

Thanks! we're actually (in DeviantART) using the Mario RPG sprites for a hack! when we get done we'll do Superstar Saga.

Thanks for the feedback! Big Grin

EDIT : it's a ROM hack, not cartridge in case you were wondering.
the M&LUnsureSS Kirby is pretty bad. he's very blocky in some poses and weirdly bumpy in others.

the up right poses are downright ugly and Kirby looks very deformed. Kirby's supposed to be spherical, so his body shape should remain mostly the same in all poses. the side poses lack the AA the other sprites (as well as the M&LUnsureSS character sprites) have. in the down and up walking poses his arms are pretty much non-existent.

I'm not sure if the sprites follow the M&LUnsureSS palette either, but right now that's not that big of an issue. the shading is, however. the sprite is, for the most part, pillow shaded. the side poses lack the same amount of shading all the other sprites have, too.

the SM:RPG Kirby sprites (whose link is dead, btw) are horrible. Kirby's comprised of squares! he's also completely pillow shaded.

a recurring theme here is that Kirby isn't as spherical as he should be. he's either completely square or bumpy and deformed. both sprites need an overwhelming amount of work.

(also, shouldn't this be in spriting and pixel art?)
(11-16-2013, 05:46 PM)Mit Wrote: [ -> ]the M&LUnsureSS Kirby is pretty bad. he's very blocky in some poses and weirdly bumpy in others.

the up right poses are downright ugly and Kirby looks very deformed. Kirby's supposed to be spherical, so his body shape should remain mostly the same in all poses. the side poses lack the AA the other sprites (as well as the M&LUnsureSS character sprites) have. in the down and up walking poses his arms are pretty much non-existent.

I'm not sure if the sprites follow the M&LUnsureSS palette either, but right now that's not that big of an issue. the shading is, however. the sprite is, for the most part, pillow shaded. the side poses lack the same amount of shading all the other sprites have, too.

the SM:RPG Kirby sprites (whose link is dead, btw) are horrible. Kirby's comprised of squares! he's also completely pillow shaded.

a recurring theme here is that Kirby isn't as spherical as he should be. he's either completely square or bumpy and deformed. both sprites need an overwhelming amount of work.

(also, shouldn't this be in spriting and pixel art?)

sorry,but thanks for the feedback!

I'm not too good with circles, and i'm trying to follow the shading techniques in M&LUnsureSS. The SMRPG sprites are squarish for the same reason. also keep in mind i've always been custom spriting in Kirby style, and i wanted to try to branch out to other styles.

I will look into color palettes that would suit Kirby in the SSS ones.

PS : what's "AA" mean?

P.S : I've been working on hours on-end on these. i'm just trying to get his overall looks at the moment.
By AA, he's meaning Anti-Aliasing.
(11-16-2013, 09:14 PM)einstein95 Wrote: [ -> ]By AA, he's meaning Anti-Aliasing.

Which means?

sorry, i dont really know those things. Defeated
Maybe this could give you some ideas on pixel art?
http://www.vg-resource.com/showthread.php?tid=13868

It even details anti-aliasing a bit, so it's worth looking into.
(11-17-2013, 03:29 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this could give you some ideas on pixel art?

Thanks for the thread!

But i looked at some more SSS sprites, and i could'nt find any A-A. NONE.
(11-17-2013, 06:58 PM)Quirby64 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-17-2013, 03:29 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this could give you some ideas on pixel art?

Thanks for the thread!

But i looked at some more SSS sprites, and i could'nt find any A-A. NONE.

there's aa all over the SSS sprites

they're the gray bits you see around the outline
He does have a point. Why did you think there are grey pixels stuck in the outlines of the sprites?

I could have sworn there was a Mario & Luigi sprite tutorial that details this (among other useful information) back on the main site some time ago. Whatever happened to it?
Pages: 1 2 3