The VG Resource

Full Version: if anyone's (good at programming) up to doing a big favor for many of us
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
basically what i'd like to see is a graphical editing software made specifically for pixel art

now before you go all graphicsgale on my ass lemme just say what i'd want in this program

basically the exact same interface as mspaint, but with

• alpha channels

• a more complex color wheel thingy, like the different options photoshop has kinda

• 360 degree selection rotation function

• can save as more formats like .dds and stuff

• a palette menu where you can save palettes, choose your default one etc

• a more easy to use free selection tool (also a line based selection tool)

• some kind of a neat way to organise things into tiles for fast use with previous gif animator (not too sure how to materialize this one tho)

• locking the palette of the current canvas (ie other colors can't be used)

• a recolor function much like previous' recolor program

• easy way to make your palette appear in the image (for sharing purposes)

• an automatic dithering tool, replacing the spray paint tool mspaint has

• small 1x zoom and 8x zoom viewers like in graphicsgale

• non-AA'd text option

• a few basic color filters to adjust the palette of your sprite

im not sure what more i can add, you people feel free to make suggestions as well

and no i dont have any money to give but this could be kickstarter worthy maybe
I have often considered making a pixel art program but was always like "there's already millions of options" and figured I'd just be making another random tool that nobody would use. So I would love to give this a shot.

Of course, like all my other "sweet totally up for this" things I've said in the past month, it's gonna have to wait until December, at the earliest. Although even then, this will probably take a while for ALL those features to be done and working. It'd start off as a bare-bones pixel-setting tool and I'd gradually add and improve features.

I don't want to kind of "dibs" this though, if anyone else feels like going for this I don't want to stop you. But otherwise I'd be glad to try making this, and produce something people actually use Tongue
Sorry for the bump, but have you looked at Hornil Stylepix?

And with that... *LOCK REQUEST*
StylePix doesn't really look like what Lexou's asking for, all of the example stuff shown on the site is about features that aren't really related to pixel art. I mean, I'm sure you can set individual pixels and such, but so can GIMP, Photoshop, and a huge number of other programs.

Lexou's asking for a program that focuses on pixel art and has features tailored for that use (and only those features). I intend to make such a program, I haven't forgotten about it, but I'm really tied up with other stuff at the moment. I will get to work on this as soon as some time opens up, I apologise for the wait.
I think it would be easier to make a plugins for gimp to add the missing features and rearrange the others that you find not practical to use, cause Gimp can already do 90% of those functions.
Well, GIMP uses Python for its plugins (or most of them anyway). I don't know any Python so I would have to learn a whole new language, which I don't think would be easier. And GIMP might be a bit much to download and install if you're not going to use half of its features. Lexou also said to me that he would want an adjustable canvas by dragging a corner (like in MS Paint), which GIMP doesn't do, and I don't think it can be achieved with a plugin.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it hadn't crossed my mind before and I might have given it a shot if I knew Python. But if it's my own program I can really modify anything I want to be exactly as it's needed, without any restrictions that GIMP might have. Not to mention, making such a program from the ground up is sure to be good experience for me (and probably fun too).