The VG Resource

Full Version: Game with the most animation frames for a sprite on each console?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello people, first post here. I'm hoping to find some knowledgeable people on sprite animation to help with documenting the standout games for each console in terms of animation frames.

Edit: I'm focusing on most individual animation frames for a single animation first, but overall number of frames is also interesting.

NES - Mr. Gimmick?
MD - Aladdin?
SNES - Street Fighter Alpha? Earthworm Jim 2?
TG16 - Rondo of Blood?
GBA - ???
...and so on. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
What, frames for a single animation, or total frames in general for a single character?

Whichever the case, some of the characters in Little Samson have a lot of frames. In particular the final boss, who probably has the most.
I'm going to say that any console that has either Flashback or Another World released for it will top everything.
Pocahontas on Genesis has a lot. So do the Secret of Mana playable characters.
Secret of Mana's main characters have ABOUT 220 frames each excluding all weapon overlays, but including the motions under the weapons. I've counted because I'm planning to rip them eventually using SOMedit.

This might even beat that, though: http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/ni...iorsagain/

I've ripped two of the three main characters of this one, and I think I had to put more work into them than I put into entire games I've ripped. I was even using a debug mode that showed every single frame and it was still impossibly long.
(11-09-2013, 12:46 AM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]What, frames for a single animation, or total frames in general for a single character?

Whichever the case, some of the characters in Little Samson have a lot of frames. In particular the final boss, who probably has the most.

Yeah I should've clarified that. I was thinking frames for a single animation first and foremost, but both are interesting.

Little Samson is pretty amazing, good choice.

Edit: Looking at the final boss in the game, the transform animation looks like three separate ones as there's a pause in between. Not sure if it should count, as I think the game loads each one separately.
The magician's spawning animation looks like 30 frames, but it's really 5 for the swirl while the sprite is removed tile by tile.
How about Samus in Super Metroid?
For SNES, my bet is Blckthorne, Flashback or Another World.

(say the guy who ripped Kyle...10 frames just to turn around! lol)
Out of this World for SNES/Genesis/Etc has a really high framerate, mainly because it uses vector graphics. It's a lot like Ghost Trick.

Dragon's Lair on NES, despite being a flaming pile of shit, is also pretty well animated.
for DOS games, it must be Prince of Persia, or Karateka.
Considering how popular the games are, I'm surprised no one brought up any game in the Mario & Luigi series yet. Starting with the first one, all the sprites in the game are surprisingly well animated.
PS3/XBOX360: Skullgirls
This game holds the record for the most frames in fighting games.

Boogerman & Warlock (SNES) have also a big bunches of frames for the main character.