The VG Resource

Full Version: [PYTHON] World Map Generator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A silly project I coded up that might be used for a game. It generates maps in the style of Final Fantasy (i.e. it wraps around). It is awesome Big Grin

DOWNLOAD HERE!!!

The program to run is visualizer.exe. RIght now it is a quick compile and the code pretty unoptimized (it runs in O(width*length*height)) so I wouldn't recommend running it with the max dimensions (which is 200x200x200.) Even 100x100x100 seems a delayed. The program is a command line interface, except when it displays the map. The usage should be intuitive, let me know if it's not!

Here are some examples of what it generates (they are pretty sweet!)
[Image: ArT41n3.png]

[Image: fXXPM0y.png]

[Image: 7ifMLMj.png]
ahaha, that's funny, but does it have 'deserts' or other biomes?
Huh, that's neat! I've got to admit that I probably won't have much use for it, though.
At the moment it's only capable of generating landmasses. I'm planning on reading up various map generating techniques to add more depth to this (and possibly make a basic exploration game out of it!)
I think that if you make a tiny RPG game, and creating an app that interpretes each of the square's shades as space, you could do a lot of cool things.
What do you mean, interpret as space? In the meantime, I did some work on a basic exploration controls, now I can be trapped on islands:
[Image: H76RtjZ.png]
send help
i mean, you genereate a map image, and every pixel represents, for example, an area of 10x10 tiles. Depending the color and the shade, it can be a forest, mountains etc. This way you could make a mini RPG game with a randomly generated map every time.

In theory you'll need a 'scanner' app that can read each pixel in the generated map and generate an area according to the color and shade.
Ah, so you mean the world map is a metamap for smaller maps. Yeah, that sounds like a fun thing to do in the future, the program saves the map as an array so interpreting it is easy, I'll just need an efficient way of saving the metatile data.
You know, most games featuring randomly-generated open exploration maps tend to be about a single person surviving on their own. What if you used a similar formula to old pioneering/settlement games? Maybe even one where you try to grow a small town into your own empire? Maybe I'm thinking too ambitiously, but it would be something new.
(12-03-2013, 06:47 PM)Midi Wrote: [ -> ]You know, most games featuring randomly-generated open exploration maps tend to be about a single person surviving on their own. What if you used a similar formula to old pioneering/settlement games? Maybe even one where you try to grow a small town into your own empire? Maybe I'm thinking too ambitiously, but it would be something new.

I remember thinking about something like that but with robots in a word where humans were gone.

I can see some really cool scenarios coming out of that map generator though.