The VG Resource

Full Version: Random character animation thingy.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've been hunting around the internet for spriting tutorials and practicing for quite a long while now, and just kind of recently I started actually taking it "seriously," I think I've made some real progress, but I could obviously be better at this.

Sooooooo, now that I've made my first "successful" animation that's not just an empty outline doing a running loop (can't even begin to count how many of those I've done) I decided to join this place to get some advice and get even better at this.

This is the animation I've made:
[Image: w1oXP6y.gif]

I totally welcome every single kind of criticism and suggestion, the animation itself, the color palette, the shading, the pose, even the character's design. This character is kind of a perfect fit for a game I'm starting to do with a friend, so I want it to look as good as it possibly can before I try doing any more animations.
Wow! Even though you're a new user, this is actually impressive!

Might I suggest you move the legs a little, too? As of right now, they are a little stiff and I think bending them a bit would do you some good.
[Image: KVOAi0E.png]

some small suggestions here and there, i hope you can understand what i mean

also i'd suggest using more hueshifting in your palette, maybe a teeensy bit less contrast between shades

lastly you should work on your folds, try and get some more logic in them, specifically the pants and kinda the arms
there was this great folds tutorial i had at some point, cant seem to find it now :I
(11-05-2013, 06:11 PM)Lexou Duck Wrote: [ -> ][Image: KVOAi0E.png]

some small suggestions here and there, i hope you can understand what i mean

also i'd suggest using more hueshifting in your palette, maybe a teeensy bit less contrast between shades

lastly you should work on your folds, try and get some more logic in them, specifically the pants and kinda the arms
there was this great folds tutorial i had at some point, cant seem to find it now :I

Is this any better?

[Image: gHzLrU3.png]

Almost completely reworked the legs, I think they improved quite a bit. I'm not too convinced about the palette yet, did I overdo it? Did I just go plain wrong? Tongue

Haven't done anything to the arms yet.
[Image: ef306cef286e79b16a40bf3c224ab87a.png]

I don't like this indent in the jacket, it doesn't really make sense, notice that lexou's more 'straight'. Fabric drapes down instead of sticking to the body, especially if it isn't tight.

also i personally don't like the 'dirty' shading, full of clusters and stray pixels. It makes the sprite kinda weird and busy.