The VG Resource

Full Version: [TOOL] Tigestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The program I've started working on called Tigestion is basically a tile map "digester" (as the name suggests). What this means is it takes a tile map and removes all identical tiles so that they're all unique, cutting down on file size and overall number of tiles. If you recall my Metroid Zero Mission tile rips, you'll know what I'm getting at.

This is not just for optimizing tilesets; it cal also be used for ripping tiles. Simply copy a map from a game, say through Visual Boy's map viewer, and load it into the program to get every single unique tile from the map.

I currently have the functionality of the actual tile extraction process worked out. I just need to run some tests, build an interface, then compile it all together. Future versions will enable users to simply copy and paste with the clipboard, and hopefully feature tile sorting so that similar tiles will be placed together on the final sheet.

Tigestion will be cross-platform and open-source, using the SDL and GTK+ libraries. I'm already able to compile it for Windows, Ubuntu and Pandora, but I'll need someone else to compile it on Macintosh for me.

Hopefully, we'll be seeing more tilesets on this site in the future. I'll keep you guys posted on the development.
sounds cool, looking forward to seeing it!
I had actually considered making something like this myself for when/if I get round to ripping the LoZ: Seasons/Ages tiles. This will probably better than what I would've made though.

Looking forward to it!
Bad news. GTK is being really nasty to me; I can't get it to work on Windows, and on Pandora, it works, but CodeBlocks is really tricky when it coms to mixing libraries, which is an absurd issue, IMO. Not a problem, though; I can just make the UI in SDL as well. It just won't be the same as I imagined.