The VG Resource

Full Version: Clubby Sprites and Stuff
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm a newb here at vg-resource,
So I'll post my previous work here!
[Image: 125f420a169730d32a22e592f78a5305-d6rttrt.png]

[Image: doraemon_s_yard_beta_stage_by_ninjapigdo...6egxtk.png]

[Image: brawlified_Ao_S.png]

[Image: Haunted_Arcade.png]

[Image: Zoom_Ness.png]
[Image: SSF2_NESS_STANCE.gif]

Full Sheets
The desk, while looks nice, is way too small to go with that soldier. The soldier and the gun are pillow shaded badly, as is Ness. You need to pick a light source. The block headed guys have the same problem, but for some reason, I still like them. As for that monochrome drawing... ugh, I don't think it counts as pixel art just because it's aliased.

Now those arcade machines, I really like them. The shading on them could use some work too, especially in terms of contrast, but I still like them.

Now, when it comes to shapes, you're doing good in that department. Fix your shading, and I think these sprites could become great. Keep it up.
(10-26-2013, 10:01 PM)Midi Wrote: [ -> ]The desk, while looks nice, is way too small to go with that soldier. The soldier and the gun are pillow shaded badly, as is Ness. You need to pick a light source. The block headed guys have the same problem, but for some reason, I still like them. As for that monochrome drawing... ugh, I don't think it counts as pixel art just because it's aliased.

Now those arcade machines, I really like them. The shading on them could use some work too, especially in terms of contrast, but I still like them.

Now, when it comes to shapes, you're doing good in that department. Fix your shading, and I think these sprites could become great. Keep it up.
Thanks for the tips! Are there any good tutorials you can link me too? Thanks.

Oh yeah, the stage was a rough sketch in Ms Paint
Well, it's not perfect, but it is a good start. Might I suggest you do something about this guy with the gun?

[Image: 125f420a169730d32a22e592f78a5305-d6rttrt.png]

He is pretty stiff and I think it would do you some good to curve his back a bit. Besides, ever heard of the "line of action" that any animator from the 30's and 40's know so well?

Thank you, E-Man, for that tutorial on line of action. I've honestly never studied it, which would explain why my sprites are so stiff as well. Even though it's not specifically a sprite tutorial, I think it should be put into a sticky or something.
To be fair, inserting a line of action into sprites is very tricky due to their general size. On top of that, for creatures that have non-standard human anatomy (such as Goombas), trying to apply a line of action is equally as hard. When I work on more humanoid sprites in the future, I gotta keep in mind this principle established by the animators of old to add more realism to my sprites.

Anyway, considering how tall and wide the gunman is, it looks like a line of action would be applied very well in this situation.