The VG Resource

Full Version: simple retro pokémon sprites.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
hi,
this is pretty much what it says on the tin.
i am new to spriting so, im mainly here for guidance/practice/advice.

ditto 23/10/2013

[Image: 1d3075f4-42fa-40e6-a2e3-11351d5db572_zpsbb790962.jpg]

voltorb(just felt like an easy one!) 23/10/2013
[Image: 7f61ed18-0737-4310-b3ae-0e761bd323b1_zpse88c020a.jpg]

mew 23/10/2013
[Image: mew_zps076b8fb9.png]

thank you for reading guys.
Please don't make threads in the Submissions area if you need to work on your spriting. No worries though, I'll move this to the right spot.
(10-23-2013, 01:18 PM)Axle the Red Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't make threads in the Submissions area if you need to work on your spriting. No worries though, I'll move this to the right spot.
sorry and thanks axle Smile
Ditto has a more complex shape than that. There are more bumps on the top, two above the eyes and one for each hand. His eyes are also smaller and the mouth wider.

(Sorry for being so blunt Tongue)
(10-23-2013, 01:41 PM)Trollerskates Wrote: [ -> ]Ditto has a more complex shape than that. There are more bumps on the top, two above the eyes and one for each hand. His eyes are also smaller and the mouth wider.

(Sorry for being so blunt Tongue)

a blunt knife still kills, lol
but yeah i'll edit it and put both of them there.
thanks!
EDIT: and i did say SIMPLE retro pokémon, :p
Interesting sprits you have there, mate, but what would you say about making the colors look a trifle bit brighter? Right now, they look a little too unsaturated and I think saturating the base colors a little bit would make them stand out a little bit more.
(10-23-2013, 01:50 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting sprits you have there, mate, but what would you say about making the colors look a trifle bit brighter? Right now, they look a little too unsaturated and I think saturating the base colors a little bit would make them stand out a little bit more.

okay, i was trying to make them look old like in pokemon crystal
but i'll look into it Smile
photobucket will let me saturate them quickly Smile
Just one more thing. When you apply shading and highlights to sprites, the shading and highlight colors should be slightly unsaturated.

Keep up the good work, though!
(10-23-2013, 01:57 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Just one more thing. When you apply shading and highlights to sprites, the shading and highlight colors should be slightly unsaturated.

Keep up the good work, though!

whats that in english?
Do you use a program like Photoshop or Adobe Fireworks? If you do, then if you look in the adjust color menu, you will find an option box tab that reads Hue/Saturation. When you fiddle with the window that pops up, you have the option to toy with the saturation of a color. When you do the highlights and shading, make sure that you insert a negative value in the option box to desaturate the color. While the main color of the sprite could remain saturated, I recommend that you desaturate the highlights and shading.

Did you catch all that?
(10-23-2013, 02:22 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Do you use a program like Photoshop or Adobe Fireworks? If you do, then if you look in the adjust color menu, you will find an option box tab that reads Hue/Saturation. When you fiddle with the window that pops up, you have the option to toy with the saturation of a color. When you do the highlights and shading, make sure that you insert a negative value in the option box to desaturate the color. While the main color of the sprite could remain saturated, I recommend that you desaturate the highlights and shading.

Did you catch all that?

sort of
but im on a school pc sleeping over at the moment
so i dont use software other than ms paint.
and my home pc is bust so i'll wait until its fixed.
I see... Well, for beginner sprite artists, MS Paint is absolutely fine. Of course, when you become more seasoned, might I recommend that you like into more powerful applications? I heard that GIMP is just as good as Photoshop. Sure, it's tricky to use, but it wouldn't hurt to download it, right?
(10-23-2013, 03:07 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]I see... Well, for beginner sprite artists, MS Paint is absolutely fine. Of course, when you become more seasoned, might I recommend that you like into more powerful applications? I heard that GIMP is just as good as Photoshop. Sure, it's tricky to use, but it wouldn't hurt to download it, right?

already had it on my old pc
b4 it broke.
but its certainly on my to download list on my new one!
aseprite is awesome.
nobody here talks about it though.
MSPaint is absolutely fine for any sprite artists. It's not the program that matters, it's the skill of the person working with the program. Different people use different programs mostly because of personal preference.
(10-23-2013, 03:35 PM)Trollerskates Wrote: [ -> ]MSPaint is absolutely fine for any sprite artists. It's not the program that matters, it's the skill of the person working with the program. Different people use different programs mostly because of personal preference.

ooh i havent heard from you in a while?
how was your hibernation?
Pages: 1 2 3