The VG Resource

Full Version: NES Donkey Kong!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am Snuka7 and am also known as Dark Lord. I love spriting and animating and have always used sprites off Spriters Resource. I am currently working on Super Smash Flash 2. And am making an expansion character for it. Expansion characters are characters that you download after the game comes out, if you decide to. So I have a full sprite sheet of my character. Here it is:

[Image: dkspritesxv4.png]

And then, you don't need to look, but I recently finished the actual whole thing:

[W]=Work in progress
[F]=Finished
[S]=Sprited
[A]=Animated
=Knows what it will be
[P]=Having Problems
[U]=Undecided
[X]=Not Required
[ ]=Not Started

Motions

1.[F]Idle
[Image: DonkeyKongIdle.gif]

2.[F]Walk
[Image: DonkeyKongWalk2.gif]

3.[F]Run/dash
[Image: DonkeyKongRun2.gif]

4.[F]Jump
[Image: DonkeyKongJump.gif]

[F]Double Jump
[Image: DonkeyKongDoubleJump.gif]

5.[F]Fall
[Image: DonkeyKongLose.gif]

6.[F]Land
[Image: DonkeyKongLand.gif]

7.[F]Damage/Hurt
[Image: DonkeyKongHurt.gif]

8.[F]Knock Back
[Image: DonkeyKongKnockBack.gif]

9.[F]Get Up
[Image: DonkeyKongGetUp.gif]

10.[F]Dead
[Image: DonkeyKongDead.gif]

11.[F]Hang
[Image: DonkeyKongHang.gif]

[F]Grabing Ledge:
[Image: DonkeyKongGrabLedge.gif]

12.[F]Crouch
[Image: DonkeyKongCrouch.gif]

[F]Crouch Position:
[Image: DonkeyKongCrouchPosition.gif]

[F]Get up from Crouch:
[Image: DonkeyKongCrouchGetUp.gif]

13.[F]Taunt
[Image: DonkeyKongTaunt.gif]

14.[F]Win
[Image: DonkeyKongWin.gif]

15.[F]Lose
[Image: DonkeyKongLose.gif]

16.[F]Entrance
[Image: DonkeyKongEntrance.gif]

Smashes

17.[F]Neutral
[Image: DonkeyKongNetrualSmash.gif]

18.[F]Combo
[Image: DonkeyKongCombo.gif]

19.[F]Up Smash
[Image: DonkeyKongUpSmash-1.gif]

20.[F]Down Smash
[Image: DonkeyKongDownSmash.gif]

21.[F]Foward Smash
[Image: DonkeyKongForwardSmash-1.gif]

22.[F]Dash Attack
[Image: DonkeyKongDashAttack.gif]

Specials
23.[F]Standard Special: Slams fists into floor, creating shock waves.
[Image: DonkeyKongQuake.gif]

[F]Standard Special Charged: (Just hold it.)
[Image: DonkeyKongQuakeCharged.gif]

24.[F]Up Special: Bounces up on springs.
[Image: DonkeyKongSpring.gif]

25.[F]Down Special: He does a mini jump and slams one of those fire guys in the floor.
[Image: DonkeyKongFireThrow.gif]

26.[F]Foward Special: Rolls a barrel along the ground.
[Image: DonkeyKongBarrel.gif]

[F]Barrel Rolling:
[Image: Barrel.gif]

Aireals

27.[F]Neutral Aireal
[Image: DonkeyKongNetrualAriel.gif]

28.[F]Foward Aireal
[Image: DonkeyKongForwardAriel.gif]

29.[F]Back Aireal
[Image: DonkeyKongBackAriel.gif]

30.[F]Up Aireal
[Image: DonkeyKongUpAriel.gif]

31.[F]Down Aireal
[Image: DonkeyKongDownAriel.gif]

Grabs
32.[F]Nuetral Grab Get
[Image: DonkeyKongStandardGrabGet.gif]

[F]Grab Held:
[Image: DonkeyKongStandardGrabHeld.gif]

[F]Grab Fail: (the vine just goes back)
[Image: DonkeyKongStandardGrab-1.gif]

33.[F]Forward throw
[Image: DonkeyKongForwardThrow.gif]

34.[F]Downward throw
[Image: DonkeyKongDownThrow.gif]

35.[F]Upward throw
[Image: DonkeyKongUpThrow.gif]

36.[F]Back throw
[Image: DonkeyKongBackAriel.gif]

Other

37.[F]FINAL SMASH: Giant Barrel
[Image: DonkeyKongFinalSmash2.gif]

Barrel Rolling:
[Image: DonkeyKongBarrel2.gif]

38.[F]Roll
[Image: DonkeyKongRoll.gif]

39.[F]Stock Icon
[Image: DonkeyKongStockIcon.png]

40.[F]Series icon
[Image: nes10.gif]

41.[F]Kirby Attack
[Image: KirbyHat.gif]

42.[X]Kirby Final Smash Attack (final forms only)

43.[F]Selection
[Image: RosterImage.png]

44.[F]Preview
[Image: SelectionImage.png]

45.[F]Trophies

-Classic [F]
[Image: DonkeyKongTrophy3.png]

-Adventure [F]
[Image: DonkeyKongTrophy2.png]

-All Star [F]
[Image: DonkeyKongTrophyAll-Star.png]

-Final Smash [F]
[Image: DonkeyKongTrophyFinalSmash.png]

46.[F]Block
[Image: DonkeyKongBlock2.gif]

[F]Block Position:
[Image: DonkeyKongBlockPostion.gif]

47.[F]Revival platform
[Image: DonkeyKongRevivalPlatform.gif]

48.[X]Final form lose

49.[X]Final form win

50.[F]Item swinging
[Image: DonkeyKongItemSwing.gif]

51.[F]Item throwing
[Image: DonkeyKongItemThrow.gif]

Tilts
52.[F]Up Tilt
[Image: DonkeyKongUpTilt.gif]

53.[F]Down Tilt
[Image: DonkeyKongDownTilt.gif]

NES Donkey Kong: 100% completed

CANCELED MOVES!

Walk:
[Image: DonkeyKongWalk.gif]

Run/Dash:
[Image: DonkeyKongRun.gif]

Final Smash:
FINAL SMASH: Raining Barrels
[Image: DonkeyKongFinalSmash.gif]

Oh and I made his card:
[Image: DonkeyKongCard.gif]

So, what do you think? Smile I'm happy to be here
Not really too much to say. They're edits of the sprites, but there is more cut-and-paste work than anything. I mean, I guess it's a decent idea, but I can't really gauge your talent on sprite arrangement.
This could be a really fun sheet if it had a few more edits in it.

For example, in the walking poses have the arms move up and down a bit, to give the sprite a bit more life, and for the running, make the arm movements more dramatic, and have him clenching his teeth to show that he's putting effort into his side-shuffle.

With the right effort, this could be a rather cute sheet. Cute
(09-26-2008, 12:25 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Not really too much to say. They're edits of the sprites, but there is more cut-and-paste work than anything. I mean, I guess it's a decent idea, but I can't really gauge your talent on sprite arrangement.

Yeah, a lot are copy and paste because I kind of wanted to keep to the origanal sprites.

(09-26-2008, 01:22 AM)Ekoi Wrote: [ -> ]This could be a really fun sheet if it had a few more edits in it.

For example, in the walking poses have the arms move up and down a bit, to give the sprite a bit more life, and for the running, make the arm movements more dramatic, and have him clenching his teeth to show that he's putting effort into his side-shuffle.

With the right effort, this could be a rather cute sheet. Cute

Thanks, but I don't really want to add arm movement as he doesn't really do that in the game. I kind of want to keep him...retro.
It's nice from what it is, and it should've been fun to make, and kudos on the attacks you came up with, but yeah, it is just an edit.
While there are some interesting ideas here, the execution is flawed which means this entire sheet is useless. Remember NES Donkey Kong is not Mr. Game & Watch, so there's no excuse in him moving like Mr. Game & Watch. Turn DK's head and body sideways when he moves or gets hit. I realize that the NES doesn't allow for tons of frames for smoothing animations, but you should still use the limited amount of frames to smooth animations as best you can.
This is really boring. All of the poses look the same. There isn't any drastic changes in the poses, and some of the attacks make little sense. Like why would he ahve his kid grab for him when he could easily grab the opponent? And why is Mario attacking for him with a hammer? It seems like a great idea, but isn't put forth it's full potential.

Quote:Yeah, a lot are copy and paste because I kind of wanted to keep to the origanal sprites.
Lame excuse. Making it propotional and in-style would keep it to the original, but various of the same poses is jsut lazy.
(09-26-2008, 03:32 PM)Drei Wrote: [ -> ]This is really boring. All of the poses look the same. There isn't any drastic changes in the poses, and some of the attacks make little sense. Like why would he ahve his kid grab for him when he could easily grab the opponent? And why is Mario attacking for him with a hammer? It seems like a great idea, but isn't put forth it's full potential.

Quote:Yeah, a lot are copy and paste because I kind of wanted to keep to the origanal sprites.
Lame excuse. Making it propotional and in-style would keep it to the original, but various of the same poses is jsut lazy.

I think its just supposed to be unique, the grab and the forward smash, that is.

And its spelled "just".

Anyway, I like it. Good job Smile
This would be a cool adition to that fantasy smash project thing...
Not bad, probably took a while and some effort to say the least.
Well thanks guys. Yeah, I thought of the 'Fantasy Smash Project' and thats kind of why I posted the sheet here.

An idea came up about putting him on his side, but then it just...wouldn't be NES Donkey Kong. Like when in the game do you ever see him on his side walking or punching. He only rolls barrels. Then it wouldn't be NES Donkey Kong, it'd be a total edit. So I only made his punches, grabs, ect on his side and not most of his motions.

Using Jumpman(Mario's old name), D.K Jr, Stanly the Bug Man, and the rest kind of made him better as it showed all things from his game, as I doubt Jumpman would actually be made into the game anyway, don't we already have Mario? Yeah...