The VG Resource

Full Version: AVGN The game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Alright so I just saw this on Steam. I'm not sure if there was a topic made, and I'm not really sure how I feel about this game. I first discovered AVGN in middle school and at the time he was "hilarious" (because saying fuck every other word was funny to a middle school boy). So seeing that he's still kicking and that he has a game of his own is kinda cool in a nostalgic aspect.

Aside from the Nostalgia the game looks kind of fun, while the graphics don't really seem to match up and I think some are actually edits from other games. In a way that kind of ruins it right there for me because even if the game is insanely fun (which I doubt) the aesthetics would always be bothering me. Don't get me wrong, I'm the first guy to always say "graphics don't make the game" but edits are kind of inexcusable. The sound effects (ex: the burping) is incredibly generic too, so there's an almost established idea in my mind that this game is mediocre to say the least.

Has anyone played it, even if you haven't what are your thoughts? Discuss.
I've heard of AVGN every now and again, never watched a video though. As you said the game does look kind of mediocre. The best part for me, from the trailer, is that everything explodes when killed, which is pretty entertaining.
Everything else looks kind of below average though. It doesn't look too fun, the mechanics aren't really creative and the obstacles look like ones that I will have mastered in other games. It looks like they've parodied a bunch of levels from games aesthetically but added no gameplay value.

This might be cool for AVGN fans, but this just doesn't seem to give me a reason to play it.
I agree with puggsoy in every aspect; though I love the Sunsoft styled soundtrack in that trailer. It's really well done and reminds me of Journey to Silius.
The game is fairly mediocre. It's a mediocre platformer that kind of plays like a mix between Contra, Mega Man and Castlevania, I don't know. I only played the introduction stage because fuck it, I didn't feel like playing anymore.
An AVGN game? With a trailer? There'll be dicks.
(HARDCOAR TRAILOR WATCHAN)
Yep, those are dicks.

I'm sick of this dude getting attention at all. I never really found him funny, probably 'cos I found Zero Punctuation first.

So, my reaction? I'm looking forward to it. If it sucks, I get to watch the little fuck flounder around trying to defend it, and if it turns out to be a fun game, it turns out to be a fun game. This shit is win-win.
I know nothing about AVGN, but those visuals are really ugly, and the gameplay seems incredibly uninspired.
Wait, seriously? You guys didn't hear about this game until recently? The game has been advertised for the past three months. It's been one of the Greenlit games, so unless you don't follow Greenlight, you should have known about it.
I don't follow Greenlight, but I was aware of it. I found it ugly since the beginning. I wondered why Screw Attack didn't look for spriters here. The wide array of unfinished projects we have here look way better than this. Not only that, the many edits and references that border copyright infringement (it's not a fan-game, it's for profit) make this one a shit-stain in the retrogaming market.

I like AVGN the show, though I must admit, among some of the genius episodes there are quite some shitty ones as well. That said, the semi-fan in me wants nothing to do with the wannabe 16-bit abomination.
Makes sense that the AVGN Game is bad. I mean, the Nerd's has covered (and probs will cover) shitty movie and TV show video game adaptations, and ironically (and unfortunately for some) the same thing will happen here.

Also, if (and probably when) this comes out and turns out to be crappy, people will probably expect the Nerd to review it himself, which he'll probably do.
As Goombaking suggested, the game was made to be bad looking and very unforgiving. Its not made to be fun, its just fan service for avgn.
Generally, a bad game is still a bad game. If it was made bad intentionally, it's just stupid. Should I pay 13-14 bucks for this kind of quality?
A good AVGN game should reference the show, not bad games in general. Why is the Majora's Mask moon even there? As far as I know, Super Mario Bros. 3 is the only non-shitty game he has ever reviewed.
With all due respect, I like AVGN, I like Screw Attack, but this game doesn't deserve the credit it's getting.
No, but you don't understand.

It's okay because it's ironic.
I never said it was good Daemoth, I said it was ironic that the AVGN might get a shitty video game adaptation because most of the games AVGN covers are these. Though I guess I should have worded my sentence better.

That being said, there are more important thing to buy, so I'll probably not buy this.
I can definitely say it's probably harder than most games released today; it's not a game that holds your hand. For those who want a good challenge, it's probably worth it. For those who want to support AVGN, it's also worth it. For those indifferent to games that present a challenge, or AVGN, it won't matter either way. I find myself within the first category, because indie games/games outside the Big Three seem to be the primary outlet for the non-hand holding classic setup of "Here's a weapon (possibly a map too), now go survive."