The VG Resource

Full Version: Highwire's Pixel Corner
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey all, this is where I'll be postin up my pixel art and stuffs I suppose. I'm a bit new to it and it probably shows xD
Would love any kind of criticism on my work since most of what I'm going to be posting up is for a game I'm working on.
Anyway, on with my work.

[Image: 9jxm.png]
I'd specifically like some feedback on the two numbered bushes as well as the analog sticks since I've been having trouble with them as of late, but I'll gladly take feedback on anything else.

Plus just a fake screenshot of sorts of how these fit together
[Image: swvg.png]
thats what I'm willing to put up right now, will post more once its made.
Your style is very unique, nice work! But bush number 2 looks like a green rock. But apart from that everything else looks great!
I think your using far too many shades of colours for the simplicity and size of your sprites.
the grass you could probably get a nicer bolder look with just 3 shades.
Your line work is over aliased and in the case of the bushes your shading is quite flat, you may want to look at other pixel works to get a hang of round surface shading.
@Laphos: Thanks a lot! I've come to that very same conclusion myself about bush 2. Perhaps I should save it for a green lit cavern or something ahaha.
@Bombshell93: I'd have to agree with you on that. I only just now realized that I broke my own color pallet limit with the vegetation after posting this. I feel so dumb ahaha.
I think my problem was that I wasn't making my pallets first before jumping into the creation process, so I ended up coming up with more colors than I needed. I'll watch out for it in the future. I'll also try out the 3 shades on the grass tomorrow when I get the chance!
I suppose I got a bit over zealous with the aliasing didn't I? Its so easy to get carried away, I'll be more careful in the future. Any specific sprites that are the main culprit of it?
I'll also go scrounging around the database to look at some sprites in the morning to see how I can improve. I'll most likely end up just making completely new bushes anyway since I think these one's lack personality and charm and their small size doesn't leave much room for shaping I think.
Thank you guys so much for the criticism! Can't wait to hear more from others and I'll post my progress tomorrow!
OK here's what I've done as of late.
-Changed number of colors in grass and bush pallet to 4
-Completely reworked the bush sprites. Once again I've got them numbered as 1 and 2
-Made some brick wall sprites, including the basic pattern, curved wall edges, and the end of the pattern from the top side
-Attempted to make a carpet/rug flooring. Looks horrible I know. Probably too many colors again.
-Tried to cut back on the aliasing this time
-Shitty analog stick graphics are left unchanged
Aaand here's the sheet:
[Image: 03mj.png]
So, thoughts?
[Image: image.png] The new bush is a little too big, but would look good in a forest.

[Image: image.png] The tree background would also look really good in a forest, but if the game take place in a city you could still use it.

I can see you have made many big new changes, nice work!
If the game take place in a forest the new art you have made could be very usefull for your game.
And I have a question... What kind of game are you making?
I really like the bush sprites!
I would however recommend toning down the stray pixels on bush 1 and the bricks though. It gives the impression of dithering, which I don't think iss all that necessary, considering how sleek everything else looks.
Thank you guys so much for the feedback. I've gotten some comments about the bricks as well, so I've tried to reduce how much they clash with everything else.
As for what the game is, its a puzzle focused metroidvania about a house in the woods. Thats all I'm saying about it right now.
UPDATE:
-Added HUD graphics
-Added stone cobbled-grassy platforms
-Added alternate brick platform
-Added indoor backdrop
-Changed shading on bricks
-Bush 1 left unchanged. Debating on weather to get rid of it or not.
-Analog sticks left unchanged. Probably going to get rid of them
[Image: fbyn.png]
As for the alternate brick platform, its an alternate, not an extra. So I'm curious as to which one you guys like more.
That lava or whatever it's supposed to be doesn't look much like lava. (disregard if it's not supposed to be lava)
The buttons have a bit of pillow shading and the control stick is... well, it just isn't great. The bigger heart looks like the top is pointy. I do like, however, how you convey texture - something I'll never be able to do. Keep up the good work!
@Quotient: Thats actually supposed to be like, a carpet or something. I know its horrible and I have no clue what to do with it to make it better.
Thanks a lot though!
UPDATE:
-Fixed the big heart HUD graphic
-Fixed the lighting on the yellow bricks. It now faces more to the right like the rest of the sprites and is more simplified to match the style.
-Removed the analog graphics. They were horrid and weren't that intuitive anyway.
-Numbered the two alternate yellow brick platform variants
-Added two new outdoor cobbled platforms and adjusted them slightly.
[Image: s9qd.png]
Thoughts?
try and have specular highlights on the bush and middle tree, like you did for the trees on the sides
Well here's a screenshot of the first moments of the game. I tried adding in those highlights by using a color from the lamp post so I wouldn't break my pallet. Also some new sprites in this shot.
[Image: iz8e.png]
Thoughts?
Now that I see it tiled, I don't quite know if that grass feels okay. Maybe some more dithering in a slightly asymmetric pattern between the darkest/second darkest shades to give it a bit more of a grassy look.

Additionally, for the stone ball atop the gate-pillar, maybe tone down how far around the edge of the ball that 'highlight' is going, doesn't feel or look so great for a sphere-shaped object. Infact, probably try removing it altogether?

As for the gate itself, it looks okay. Maybe redo the highlight to have just a bit less of the brightest shade along that curve (and the reverse for the bottom curve) so the shading isn't just following the line you've drawn. Should be able to give it a /little/ feeling of depth that way.

Aside from that, as I've been saying in private, very good progression. I also quite like the HUD elements so far, but you might need to make the health more distinctive somehow. I feel the health should be in the middle of the screen, not in the upper right, since players eyes will be centered on the middle of the screen, and it'll be easier to look up there, rather than to the corner.
Alright, I've tried out a few things.
UPDATE:
-New gate sprites
-Changed highlights on gate door and ball
-Added specular highlights to bush 2
-Added 2 new variations to grass platform.
[Image: nwe5.png]
Not entirely sure how to go about the shading on the gate door. Suggestions?
the gate is pretty ok, what you could do is reduce contrast a little bit on the stone pillar
also try and make the banding on the curved part less obvious
Pages: 1 2