The VG Resource

Full Version: ThomasSpeedrunner's Custom Sprite Gallery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, this is where I post my custom sprites, I guess. Take a look around; ya might find something you like. While I honestly don't give two damns if you use anything you find in this gallery of mine, please, do give credit where credit is due.

Anywho, custom Time Stone sprites that I seriously need to work on. I'm still learning how to do this, so forgive the overall shittiness. I'm gonna try and improve these at some point.
[Image: 2ziw.png][Image: t8qb.png][Image: tecj.png][Image: d4og.png][Image: ryoi.png][Image: ybu1.png][Image: 0fh1.png]
Since I assume they're supposed to be shaped like Rupees, I'd suggest to get rid of the pillow shade and use solid colors for the shading. Kinda like this:
[Image: Rup.bmp]
Also, try to avoid using bright colors.
You are right, these do need serious work. While I honestly give two damns if you listen or not, here are some ways to improve them.

First, these sprites are banded and pillow shaded so far that they can apply as the definition of pillow shading and banding.

Pillow shading refers to the actual way you have shaded. You have shaded along the contours of your sprite without considering the shape
and volume of the sprite, which in result makes the sprite flat and the straight ramps of color blur the image.

Here is your sprite
[Image: emerald1.png]

here is a minor edit to clarify my point
[Image: emerald2.png]

As for your colors, you have a very straight MSpaint type of ramp; all of the colors are of the same hue and saturation making for a very bland sprite.
You need to shift these to give a little life to it.
here is a little hue shift on my edit.
[Image: emerald3.png]
There is very little hue shift, but it still adds a little more too it.

If anything here is confusing, try referring to our Spriter's Dictionary, It is a pretty good starting point, and has quite a bit in it.

Keep practicing, show us more. We could always use new spriters here Smile

EDIT: I feel I should add that If you haven't actually come here for critique, this is the wrong place to post; that's kind of what we are all about here Wink
Ah, don't worry about it. I'm all for constructive criticism Tongue

Anywho, following SchAlternate's example, here's an updated version which ditches the pillow shading and other bad stuff. I also toned down the color by 32 (i.e. colors originally at value 224 were toned down to value 192, colors originally at value 192 were toned down to value 160, etc.). :V

[Image: a1yt.png]
Much better. The blue one looks way to dark, though.
[Image: w395.png]
Made the blue Time Stone a bit brighter and tried to make "rotation" sprites, though I don't think they turned out very well :V
This is more or less what I meant:
[Image: rup.PNG]
Now the blue stone's shades are more visible. Also I gave the gems a bit more contrast.

Don't forget to consider SNAPple's example as well.
First, I'll clear something up. I have taken into consideration both of your examples. They were quite useful to me.

Now, as to why I haven't posted anything yet. I was going to, BUT I dropped my newer laptop (which has my custom Time Stone art on it, as well as several other things of mine) by mistake and now it's broken. My mom told me that if it can't be fixed, the guys at Best Buy'll get all my data (YEY Big Grin) and I'll be able to pick out a new, faster laptop.
(I'm typing this from my older computer, which, ironically enough, has taken many a hard fall and survived. Tongue)
Oh, well that's gotta suck.
Yeah. It really does suck. But hopefully I can get it fixed or get a new laptop and post the updated sprites soon.
Oops double post sorry don't shoot me.

Anywho, I have my new laptop (which has an i7 processor) and I'm finally able to upload these:
[Image: 9zd.png]
I've given the Time Stones a bit more contrast here and added sparklies. =P
...Either I'm not interesting enough or not many people have noticed this topic :V

Anywho, two things to show today.

First up, some custom Chaos Emerald sprites:
[Image: wbea.png]
And now a custom Master Emerald sprite:
[Image: pruq.png]
(Right now, the Master Emerald is a giant version of the Chaos Emerald sprite. These each use four colors, just like the Time Stone sprites I made.)

EDIT: Made the Master Emerald a lot bigger.
The problem with the master emerald is that you did nothing but blow it up 2x.
Regardless of it being twice as big, your sprites should always still use 1x1 pixel scale.
also those aren't great either because it doesn't like a translucent gem at all, just a bunch of solid colored polygons.

[Image: emerald3.png]

follow this sprite closely, in terms of reflection/colors/shading so it looks more like a gem.
Okay, couple things to show today.

First up, new Time Stone sprites. I used the style shown by the sprite as a base, but I've decided to rework the rotation sprites as well based off of that sprite. :V
[Image: s3kh.png]

Now, there's something else I'm bringing to the party.
[Image: naul.png]

It's basically some extra weaponry for the Solvalou (player's ship that moves around and destroys stuff) from Xevious (which is actually a really good game Tongue).

...I find it a lot easier to make these if I have something to work off of :/
Pages: 1 2