The VG Resource

Full Version: Gatsby sprites too, sometimes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not really sure, I think I only do it on Tuesdays.

[Image: QFxrIfF.png]

I was working on a Mario a while back. It's... okay. I was trying to hit something that looked like a mix between SMB3 and Super Mario World. A lot of people say I hit a mix between SMB3 and Paper Mario. I kind of lost motivation on it, though. Originally I was going to sprite a lot of Mario stuff, but my interest faded. Maybe if you guys threw some pointers and gave me ideas on what would be easy to do next, I might work on it some more.

[Image: wHONKpW.png]

This is Leemo. He's the protagonist of a game I'm going to be working on soon. He mainly attacks with his fists, he can throw them out ala Rayman, and even charge them up and make them bigger before he launches them. Those sprites... aren't really done yet. I'm probably going to be working on that tomorrow. He can also pick up weapons like Hammers and Boomerangs and use those, too. That's what the swing sprites are for. Beyond the point, though, I think. Any pointers I can pick up on when I wake up tomorrow?

That's pretty much it. I'm going to go to sleep now.
(Mario) His head turn looks very weird compared to the non-turned head, not seeming to fit. Other than that, the hat shape is a bit off and Mario has no hair on the back of his head when facing straight right.
WOW HAHA HUGE OVERSIGHT HOW DID I FORGET HIS HAIR. He's all bald and stuff.

[Image: IGLXxbl.png]

I also tried to fix his hat but I'm REALLY struggling with it. Let me know if it looks any better. Also can you be more specific aout his head looking weird compared to the non turned head? I'm not even sure which direction you're referring to, honestly!
This might just be me, but I think that the skin shades on Mario could stand for a bit more contrast. Also, I'm thinking his nose might be a pixel too big in both directions.
For his hat, I think the new one looks better in the back and in shape overall, but the old one has a nice front (in that it looks less like it's going to fall off his head).

On the side face, his ear is probably too far back; it should be pretty much in the middle. Moving to the middle would increase the amount of space for the back of his head, but also scrunch the space for his face, so if you'd rather focus on his face a bit more, it could probably still be acceptable.

I like the Leemo guy; it's kinda cute! I can't see anything I can crit on that lol
The hat definitely looks better, but the back of the head, still no.
[Image: qEtPXPD.png]

It's getting there, right? I know it's not quite there yet, what else am I doing wrong? Because I just can't put my finger on it.

About the skin palette not having enough contrast, I'll look into it next, I just haven't been able to find any shade of color that stands out while still looking like skin. Thanks for pointing it out.
Definitely getting there, my next problem is the arm is a bit wonky, it doesn't look much like an arm, either that or it's too thin. The head also should be widened out a little bit, as there should be a bit more space between his mustache and his sideburn. If you don't like it that way, feel free to ignore that, but aside from that, just fix the arm.
EDIT:
[Image: GZQO4Km.png]
Did some editing, as well as provided a new skin color. I moved the hand up a pixel, it was making the arm look a tad too long, and changed the head quite a bit. Don't use this, as this is merely an example.
Didn't go any further with these edits, as it wouldn't even suit the style you were going for if I did.
Don't worry, I don't plan on using that as more than a reference, haha. But do you mind if I nab the skin palette you're using? It's absolutely perfect, I don't think I can top it. It's leaning more towards the artwork in his recent games, and I think that's for the best.

I'm probably just going to have to resprite the head altogether, it's gotten to the point where edits are just going to clump the whole thing.
Go ahead!
You'd also have to get a new set of colors for the other hues (red, white & blue (and brown)), since they have far lower contrast than the skin, so it really sticks out right now.
Awesome sprites! Big Grin