The VG Resource

Full Version: ENO/ZNO/GNO/XNO Import Release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been working on this for quite some time as some of you know and just kind of quit. So I've decided I'll just go ahead and release what I've done, maybe someone else can add in the rest of the stuff.

Download (Random Talking Bush's updated version, 05/21/14): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2787...Update.zip
Download (older version): http://db.tt/97Z6qujv

How this works:

EDIT: Okay, I goofed. Anyone who read earlier, this is what you do instead. Run it through the Editor Window, not from the startup folder. Max doesn't load the custom functions into memory for some reason. So just run it through the MaxScript Editor and it'll import the models just fine.

These scripts, except zno, import the bones but no weights. This is due to me having the hardest time trying to figure them out. The ENO script is probably the least easy to work with as bones don't import correctly constantly. Usually the rotations or something seem a little off. It also only supports Sonic Free Riders models as Sonic 4 Episode I ENO is different just enough to break the importer consistently.

And to make a double note, there could be some issues with some models from some games. I couldn't iron out every single issue, so I apologize if this isn't perfect, but what is? I tried to make it as easy to use as possible, and as I asked in the listing on the dialog, please do give credit where it's do.

Also, big thanks to mariokart64n who helped me out with learning MaxScript and to Kentalin for her original notes on the GNO format that got me started.
Works good for the things I've tried so far, except for the Extreme Gear from Free Riders. A few of the polygon groups import all chewed up.

[Image: SFR-JetBoardImportError.png]
(08-18-2013, 04:47 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Works good for the things I've tried so far, except for the Extreme Gear from Free Riders. A few of the polygon groups import all chewed up.

[Image: SFR-JetBoardImportError.png]

With all the boards I tested, nothing came out broken. I had another guy, PolygonJim, test them as well. So my only assumption is it's just hit and miss...which is no honest surprise...these formats are not the best things to work with.

On another note, I think Unwiished rigs import wrong. I don't know why. Just a heads up to anyone importing them.
Continuing on, seems like Super Sonic and Storm both make the importer halt with an error like this:
Code:
-- Runtime error: Vertex index in face out of range: [221,456,223]
Super Sonic just misses his lenses, but Storm barely imports.

And it also seems the ears don't have proper UV mapping on a bunch of 'em. Just things I'm noticing from using it.

(EDIT: And Vector doesn't import at all, just turns into a giant pyramid of polygons.)
(08-18-2013, 07:06 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Continuing on, seems like Super Sonic and Storm both make the importer halt with this error:
Code:
-- Runtime error: Vertex index in face out of range: [221,456,223]

And it also seems the ears don't have proper UV mapping on a bunch of 'em. Just things I'm noticing from using it.

I'm wondering if the versions in this were the wrong versions. They definitely shouldn't have been. Could be a total off or something. Oh well. It'll get updated shortly and reposted with fixes.

EDIT: And can you give me examples of messed up texture ears. Also, Super Sonic never seemed to work. I could never figure out why he error'd. Same with Storm. They're erroring due to a face index, but I scoured their files and never could figure out why they crashed.

I also received word there's errors with the GNO script and some Black Knight models. Currently going their revisions to find out which one supported them all since I know one of them worked properly with SatBK.
(08-18-2013, 07:08 PM)ItsEasyActually Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: And can you give me examples of messed up texture ears. Also, Super Sonic never seemed to work. I could never figure out why he error'd. Same with Storm. They're erroring due to a face index, but I scoured their files and never could figure out why they crashed.
[Image: SFR-ShadowEarror.png]
Even with the right texture applied, it still shows up incorrectly, because the UV mapping is "flat".

[Image: SFR-ShadowEarrorUV.png]
It's way at the bottom instead of being mapped in the right spot. Rouge and Silver also have the same problem, so the script must be reading the values for the UV mapping incorrectly for them.
Thank you very much!!
I would like to know how did you unpack Sonic Free Riders RTB. Im having some trouble here.
Just out of curiosity, will you be updating the script any time soon ItsEasyActually?
Hyperb news! MEGA GIGA TERA THANKS!!!
Hey dude, wanna ask you. Is there something to import models with bones?
(03-27-2014, 11:43 AM)Omnitrix Wrote: [ -> ]Hey dude, wanna ask you. Is there something to import models with bones?
[Image: Sonic06-IblisGolemFixed.png]

I'm working on it, thanks to my new knowledge of reading model formats.

Additionally, I have fixed the problems importing the Iblis Golem (pictured above, highlighting the chest rigging) from Sonic '06 as well as both Storm and Super Sonic from Free Riders (they didn't import because you missed filling in a vertex format type for those, ItsEasyActually!), fixed the UV mapping problems with Shadow and several others from Free Riders (it was reading the UV mapping for "Type 0x70" as full-floats instead of half-floats like everything else was, and from the wrong location), and I'm currently working on preparing the rigging information for ENO/Free Riders, XNO/Sonic '06 and ZNO/Sonic 4 formats. I don't have any GNO files, so I can't work finishing up that model format yet. If someone could send me some, that would be appreciated.

But yeah, once it's all done, I'll upload a revamped version of the script in this topic.
(03-29-2014, 06:37 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have any GNO files, so I can't work finishing up that model format yet. If someone could send me some, that would be appreciated...
http://puu.sh/7TTNM.zip
There ya go
Might as well upload what I've got now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2787...Update.zip
(UPDATED 05/21/2014)

There are two scripts included. The one with "_Debug" at the end will print messages to the console, but will import models much more slowly.

What this newer script does:
  • The script will no longer crash upon running it for the first time, so you can run it directly and not only through the MaxScript Editor. Additionally, cancelling a file import also won't crash.
  • Revised the popup so that it mentions what kinds of games are compatible with the importer.
  • All four kinds of model files will now import with their original rigging information.
  • *.ENO files now import properly (Storm, Super Sonic, Vector, and any Extreme Gear) and shouldn't have broken UV mapping (Shadow, Rouge, etc.).
  • *.GNO file importing has been greatly improved, and can now import most models, including the ones from the Wii Super Monkey Ball games. Polygon groups with two UV mapping layers will import twice -- once for each layer.
  • *.XNO files import almost perfectly, things like the Iblis Golem will now import and they also import with their original smoothing, and vertex colours. Enable the checkbox if you want to import the vertex alphas instead (mainly for character models).
  • *.ZNO importing compatibility has been improved and will now import certain models that used to crash, and also import the normals and vertex colours, if any (the "Vertex Alphas" checkmark by the *.XNO importing will also tweak this). Additionally, the bone structures have been re-enabled and fixed.

What still needs to be done:
  • *.ENO stage models from Sonic Free Riders will most likely crash 3DS Max, I'll figure out how to fix that later.
  • *.GNO stage models from Sonic Unleashed Wii will not import, as their model files don't follow the same data patterns as the others.
  • Some *.ZNO files don't import correctly (B03_ROBO_T/B.ZNO, for instance). I'll try to fix that up next time.
  • Automatic material importing, but I'll need to do more research as to how it's done in the first place.

If there happens to be a specific problem with a model you're after, let me know and I'll try to adapt the script to work with it.
(05-15-2014, 06:52 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Might as well upload what I've got now:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2787...Update.zip

There are two scripts included. The one with "_Debug" at the end will print messages to the console, but will import models much more slowly.

What this newer script does:
  • The script will no longer crash upon running it for the first time, so you can run it directly and not only through the MaxScript Editor. Additionally, cancelling a file import also won't crash.
  • Revised the popup so that it mentions what kinds of games are compatible with the importer.
  • All four kinds of model files will now import with their original rigging information.
  • *.ENO files no longer crash upon importing certain models (Storm, Super Sonic) and won't have broken UV mapping for others (Shadow, Rouge, etc.). Bone IDs are all kinds of incorrect, but it's there.
  • *.GNO file importing has been greatly improved, and can now import most models, including the ones from the Wii Super Monkey Ball games. Polygon groups with two UV mapping layers will import twice -- once for each layer.
  • *.XNO files import almost perfectly, things like the Iblis Golem will now import and they also import with vertex colours (if you want it to use the vertex alphas instead, look for "setvertcolor" in the script and swap the "--" comments between the two options). Character models seem to have half-red/half-black appearances, you'll probably want to do the swap for them.
  • *.ZNO importing compatibility has been improved and will now import certain models that used to crash. The bone structures have been re-enabled, but are currently broken, and the bone IDs are incorrect for most models, though...

What still needs to be done:
  • *.ENO files will be updated to import to the correct bones. Additionally, certain things (like Vector and the Extreme Gear) still don't import correctly, and will be worked on.
  • *.GNO stage files from Sonic Unleashed Wii will not import, as their model files don't follow the same data patterns as the others.
  • *.ZNO files still have buggered-up bone structures, which I will be figuring out next.
  • Automatic material importing, but I'll need to do more research as to how it's done in the first place.

If there happens to be a specific problem with a model you're after, let me know and I'll try to adapt the script to work with it.

Thank you so much! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2