The VG Resource

Full Version: Unnamed "Ghost Hunt" game Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Unnamed Game

Theme; Ghost hunting, hide-and-seek

Draws inspiration from Ghostbusters, Luigi's Mansion, Spy vs Spy, Hide and seek

Main game focus:
2 teams (scientists and ghosts) square off in a haunted house, the team left standing wins

The scientists must hunt down the ghosts using a flashlight and deghostifier gun, whilst the
ghosts hide in plain sight by possessing and controlling objects in the house. The scientists
have 10 minutes (the game starts at 11:50 pm) to capture all the ghosts and dispose of them.
If the clock runs out and it strikes midnight, the ghosts will gain power and destroy the
scientists.

Team skill breakdowns
----------------------

=The Scientists=

Scientists have two items at their disposal, A flashlight, and a Deghostifier gun.

The flashlight, which can be switched on and off, spreads a cone of vision for the player,
as the house will be very dark and shadowy. Although ghosts may be able to travel easily in
the dark, If caught in a flashlight's beam, their movement will be cut by half, making them
easier to hit with the Deghostifier gun's capture beam. Flashlights run on batteries, so power
is finite. Batteries are scattered around the house though, so recharging wont be too great of
an issue.

The Deghostifier Gun is the primary capture device for the scientists. Firing it at exposed
ghosts will allow you to capture them, and place them in containment cylinders. If you fire
the beam at a possessed object, it will only weaken the occupying ghost, not capture it, but if
the possessed object is hit enough, it will force the ghost out of the object, and for the rest
of the game, that object will not be usable for ghosts to possess. Note that the scientists can't
just go around and blast every object, making everything off limits to ghosts. The Deghostifier has
limited power, and any scientist with a empty gun will move at half speed, making them more susceptible
to ghost tricks. Scientists can re-power their guns at the van just outside the house.

-Team strategy-
The main task for the Scientists is to track down and capture the five ghosts in the house using
their Deghostifier Guns. Once a ghost is captured, they are put in a containment capsule. Any
scientist carrying a capsule will need both hands to hold it, so both the flashlight and gun will
be inoperable during. The scientist will need to walk the capsule back to the van and place it in the
Capture tank, located in the van. Scientists don't have to do this immediately, they can leave the
cylinders wherever they wish, but in order for the game to be won, all the capture cylinders MUST be
placed in the van to complete the game. If that clock strikes midnight, the cylinders wont hold, and
the ghosts will escape.

Scientists can also pick up and move objects out of the way. Larger objects may require more scientists.
Any scientist holding an item will not be able to access their flashlight or deghostifier gun.

*The Ghosts*

The ghosts can only do one thing, possess objects. This can be used in many different ways though.

The main use of possession is to hide. While in an object, a ghost is completely hidden. The ghost
also has complete control of the object which means they can move it around, and if it has a function,
activate it. (examples include turning on lamps, opening and closing doors, making noises, etc.)
An object's movement speed is dependant on it's size, and how much energy the ghost has.

A ghost can hide in an object for as long as they wish, but entering or exiting an object, or activating
an object costs one point of energy each, so randomly jumping from object to object isn't advised.
Proper planning will allow a ghost to sneak through the house unnoticed.

-Team Strategy-

Remember that unlike scientists, there is no way for a ghost to replenish it's energy reserves, so if you drop
to zero, your time is up and you will fade away. As such, proper usage and smart movement is key for ghosts.
There is no way for a ghost to "defeat" the scientists as a ghost is incorporeal, but you can do things to hinder
the scientists' advances. By placing items in front of doorways or stairs, it forces scientists to remove them,
making them waste time, and helping the ghosts find new places to hide. Cleverly placed items could in theory
permanently block areas, making safe zones for ghosts. Be aware that scientists can fire beams at objects, rendering
them unusable by ghosts, so this can backfire on you. By utilizing the abilities of various objects, ghosts can also
rig "traps" that can damage or impede the scientists. Note that you can't "kill" a scientist, but no one says they
cant be bludgeoned, electrocuted, set on fire, slip on things, or be involved in other various mishaps. Any scientist
who suffers an "accident" while holding an item, whether it be a capsule or normal house item, will drop it. This
helps ghosts potentially recover captured ghosts before they are taken to the van.

Two key items that should be possessed are batteries and capture capsules. If a scientist picks up possessed
batteries, their flashlight will short out for 30 seconds. One should note that ghosts cannot move batteries,
but it costs no energy to possess or leave a battery. If you see a Capture capsule lying around, that means one
of your team is captured, and that you should free them. Possess the capsule, and by expending 30% of your
energy, you will break the other ghost free while forfeiting that expended energy to the freed ghost. You cannot free
a fellow ghost if your energy is under 30%. One should also note that Ghosts cannot step outside of the house, so any
capsules that make it back to the van are lost for good.

+Set Design+
-------------
Levels will be themed, but not static. Every time a level is loaded, its layout will be procedurally created, within certain
parameters. This will ensure that all of the room layouts are unique, but still believable. It would be a little suspect if
the game loaded the contents of a kitchen in what is clearly a bathroom. All the items within the respective rooms will have
several random layouts, so scientists can't just remember the map for next time.

The initial level will be of the haunted house variety. It will consist of 12 rooms spread amongst 2 floors. All items within
reason will be up for possession.

I would like several different themed stages, each with unique set pieces and interactive objects. You know, give each level
its own "feel."

Anyway, thats what i've got for now. Any questions or suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Inspiration for items: http://armorgames.com/play/7195/haunt-the-house
Your game reminds me of this one Smile

Looks like an really fun concept
Thats a pretty cool game, ive never played it before Smile

Im going for a 3/4 view zelda style for mine, im not sure yet

I'm playing around with sprite design right now, trying to make some mockups
Luigi's Mansion vs. Geist?
Yes, i suppose possession would work similarly here; objects that serve a purpose outside simple movement
could be utilized for spooky purposes.

The object though isn't to scare the scientists, but to avoid them. They already know the ghosts are there,
and are expecting ethereal tricks, so the ghosts will have to use their poltergeist abilities offensively to
survive until midnight.

I suppose the team relationship is akin to the pacman/ghost relationship, except the scientists all have infinite
power pellets and the ghosts don't just turn into eyes and come back a few moments later if they are caught.

Ghosts may seem overpowered, but really aside from moving things around and tossing stuff on the ground,
there isn't much they can do to stop the scientists. There wont be any "scare meters" or anything of the like;
The scientists are men of logic, and logic dictates that when you see a ghost you should capture it so you can
take it back to your lab for future analysis and dissection.

Granted, I'm not certain how one would "dissect" a ghost, but I'm not a scientist, so how could I?
Questions:
Is each scientist and ghost played by a different person, or is it one guy versus a computer?
Do you intend to sprite the game yourself, or are you looking for someone else to collaborate with you?
Suggestions:
You should consider making it 2D, I feel it would look much better that way.
Ghost should be able to temporarily possess scientists, but it should cost a lot of energy for them to do so, they should be forced out either when they reach 25% energy, or if another scientist shines a flashlight on them, as a scientist they look normal, so they can sneak up on other scientists, and punch them and stuff. Possessed Scientists should automatically drop everything and be only able to punch/open doors.
Flashlights should be what force ghosts out of items, the gun should only be used for firing the containers, instead of becoming permanently unuseable, the illuminated item should have a cooldown time of two minutes before it is usable again.
I am aware that all of these things are buffs for the ghosts, and that is deliberate, for after reading your summary, I have gotten the impression that the scientists have a massive advantage tactically.
(08-15-2013, 11:41 PM)Zabadabenabadaba Wrote: [ -> ]Questions:
Is each scientist and ghost played by a different person, or is it one guy versus a computer?
I intend for it to be set up in a 5 vs 5 player scenario, all human players. I suppose if I ever get around to finding a programmer, bots for offline play would be an option to consider.
Do you intend to sprite the game yourself, or are you looking for someone else to collaborate with you?
I have been trying to sprite the game single-handed, but my free time is limited, so very little has actually been done. Sad I've never collaborated with another artist, but design suggestions and mock ups would be appreciated. Smile As for programming, I have virtually NO experience in any coding language, and programs like GameMaker and Construct confuse me, so I'll eventually need to find a programmer willing to take on the project. Keep in mind that I'll only go seeking one when I have a fair amount of resources to work with.
Suggestions:
You should consider making it 2D, I feel it would look much better that way.
I had intended to make it 2D, I would like the graphics to have a simple, low shaded look to them drawing insperation from games like Earthbound. I'm trying to not just copy the style though.
Ghost should be able to temporarily possess scientists, but it should cost a lot of energy for them to do so, they should be forced out either when they reach 25% energy, or if another scientist shines a flashlight on them, as a scientist they look normal, so they can sneak up on other scientists, and punch them and stuff. Possessed Scientists should automatically drop everything and be only able to punch/open doors.
I've considered this, but I kind of feel that players might get aggravated if the control of their character is suddenly given over to an opponent, especially several times in a match.
Flashlights should be what force ghosts out of items, the gun should only be used for firing the containers, instead of becoming permanently unusable, the illuminated item should have a cool-down time of two minutes before it is usable again.
I also considered this, but it kind of degrades the usefulness of the gun. The flashlight is simply meant to help you see in the level; I would like the level to be virtually pitch-black without the use of the flashlight, making it imperative to have battery power. The reason The gun is the item that captures ghosts, so it stands to reason that It would be able to expel ghosts from hiding places. Most items wouldn't have a very high resistance, and would force ghosts out rather quickly, but if a ghost ops to jump out of the item before that point, no damage will occur to them, so a ghost could repeatedly jump from item to item to escape crowded rooms.
I am aware that all of these things are buffs for the ghosts, and that is deliberate, for after reading your summary, I have gotten the impression that the scientists have a massive advantage tactically.
While it would seem like the scientists have a clear advantage, the ghosts have many freedoms that the scientists do not. One of the most important being that they can see in the dark, meaning they don't need flashlights. This is a serious advantage because ghosts at many points won't even have to be camouflaged in order to evade the scientists.
This game isn't meant be army vs army; its a game of cat and mouse, and only a clever mouse gets the cheese. All you have to do is outrun the cats for 10 minutes.Smile
I REALLY like the base concept, but there's a lot of things I'm questioning in the actual implementation.

Namely Ghost/scientist balance:

If I'm correct:
Ghosts advantages are:
See the field of play clearly.
More variety in tactics.
Lower times and/or larger houses favor them

Scientist advantages:
Long run unlimited ammo.
Ability to just out right disable ghosts.
Long range.
Longer times and/or smaller houses favor them

Now in practices this might work out... but I'd like to raise some concerns. The scientist really COULD just start exorcising the entire house object by object. They might not have time for every object in the entire house, but unless the house is too big or the time limit too short, they'd have at least enough time to create safe zones for a supply line to the van before hunting down the ghosts. Also consider as a team game, scientists working in tight mught do stuff like having just one guy light up the way, and rotate between firing and recharging their weapons.

Of course, increasing the size of the house or lowering the time amount might prevent this, but you really don't want to create a situation where the ghosts just hiding all over and sitting there becomes the ideal strategy.
Cat and mouse games are most fun when both parties are actively playing, rather than one just randomly guesses and hopes he finds the randomly hidden other.

TO that end I question the ghost's limited energy. It discourages ghosts moving.
I'd recommend either ghosts have their own version of the van... or have it recharge over time. Recharge over time would be fun... but a "ghost van" somewhere in the house would present interesting tactics on both sides.
Pretty much everything you've brought up are valid points.

The scientists can shoot what ever they want, but it only affects the usage of the object in relation to ghosts if ghosts are currently occupying the object. Every item has its own durability, when it runs out any ghost inside it is expelled; the ghost loses no energy. Also, although it costs energy to enter, leave, or activate and object's unique ability, it costs nothing for a ghost to move the object. If you feel confident that you can outrun and outsmart everyone inside a flowerpot for the whole match, then do that.

As for the "Sit and wait" thing, yeah I can see how that would get aggravating and potentially boring, and i suppose that some may only really use that simple strategy, but remember that ghosts have control of just about everything in the house. Although you can't "Kill" a scientist, they can be damaged or knocked down or electrocuted or any other number of things. The "hiding" part shouldn't be looked at as a passive activity; A clever player should be "lying in wait," and use opportunities to catch opponents unaware and cause a little mischief.

The only reason that I suggested that ghosts have limited energy is so that they don't just have free roam. I feel like giving ghosts rechargeable energy puts a strain on the other team; can you imagine how annoying it would be to nearly capture the same guy several times in the same match, only for him to get away and recharge over and over again without consequence? The scientists are allowed to recharge their supplies, but recharging comes at a cost and risk. Recharging the gun means that you must backtrack all the way out of the house, losing any chance of chasing down any ghosts, and then having to wait for the recharge to be complete. The flashlight needs batteries fairly often, and they are plentiful, but there is the likely risk that a ghost lies in wait just hoping you'd pick them up for a nasty surprise.

Thinking of it, I suppose the ghosts could steal energy from batteries, leaving duds laying around. To make sure they aren't just running around sucking the life out of all the batteries, it would be reasonable that a ghost couldn't do this if they have over 25% health, and it would restore 30% of the ghost's health.

All this said, I really appreciate the feedback. Whenever I can, I'll try having something to actually look at, but I have more pressing matters at hand at the moment.