The VG Resource

Full Version: Hello, I do Kirby =)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello, I am Combine_Advisor =) I do Kirby 64 Sprites because i preffer doing sprites from games i like the most! This was the first sprite sheet I have ever created so please dont get to mad at me =/ Another Thing, My friends do this site too! SkyBlueWriggler and Big Pirahna are also on here. We are all merely friends and we have no intention on making triple accounts! And if you dont believe us we can even pm pics of us on our accounts! BUT ANYWAY sorry for dilly dallying =) My first sprite sheet I plan on submiting is The famous "N-Z"
[Image: N-Z.jpg]
I worked very hard on these and I love them but i want your opinion. What does it need. Please give me some constructive critisicsm. And another thing...I ALWAYS USE PENCIL TOOL AND BUCKET TOOL...nothing else i swear to gosh! I plan to make more kirby 64 sprites but ill see how this one turns out first. Thanks guys =)!!!
the n-z feet walking left and right are a tad to hie,nice sprite tho =]
it's bad. too triangular, no AA, even the shading is triangular. you put almost no detail on this
Alot of problems with this:

JPED- Never save a sprite as a JPEG or JPG, it ruins the quality of the sprite. Save as PNG.

MSPaint Default Colours- Don't use the default colours in Paint, they suck. Make your own.

Bad Lineart/Shape- N-Zs are round, this lineart is boxy making the N-Z look like a robot. Round it off like what you did to the bottom, just DON'T use the circle tool. The ears are also oddly placed, on a side view you should only see the closer ear as the farther ear will be hidden.

Odd Shading- The shading contradicts itself, if you're going to put a left and right facing sprite then shade accordingly (I think you know how to shade according to the lightsource). Also, when he's facing away that's no reason for him to be darker, he should be shaded the same.

And one more thing... Welcome to The Spriters Resource.
You jpeg'd the sprite, used the line tool, and used MS Paint default colors. I don't mean to sound assholle-ish but that's pretty bad even for your first time.
Well, there's a major mistake here, in that you saved as a .jpg. Never save sprites in .jpg format, as they ruin the quality of the sprites. Save them as a .png, instead.

Onto the sprites themselves, they are quite blocky, and the shading is wrong. Shading should fit the shape of the object (Bad at explaining this, sorry), which yours doesn't, and the lightscource changes in some frames. The colors are a bit boring, also, as they look like MS Paint default colors.

The feet and animation don't look to great, either.
This has got to be a triple account business...

Now I'm known for being an ass and brutally honest with what I think so feel free to ignore what I say if it makes you feel bad.

The fact that you say these took even a smeg of effort to make actually hurts me. I beleive that you have insulted the world of sprites. You claim to use the pencil tool yet I see is the line tool. And just that and the paint bucket? Why? Who the hell just uses 2 tools to make sprites? Are you making them bad on purpose? I just don't understand! MS Paint default colours are bad. Very bad, it's easy to see why they are bad because they look bad.

Go out and look at a sprite, be it official or not and just look at it.
ive never seen this charactor on a game before so i dont realy no exactly wat it looks like
but here is somthing thats not to good but might help a little on knowing on what they might meen
[Image: nzkb0.png]
Thank you all for youre lovely comments. I especially enjoy hearing that i "insult the world of sprites". What a great way to welcome a newcomer =) Thank you Big Pirahnah for some ecouragement and thank you Bricklin for youre constructive criticism and at least WELCOMING ME! I will change color to a custom but even though you see a straight line in a sprite, doesnt mean some one used line tool. But thanks for the advice anyway. Thanks also for saying it was pretty bad for my first time Chdonga. Ive been to alot of forums and if i saw something like these comments on ANY are it would be considered flaming and they would either be banned or be limited to rights others users have but oh well ill get used to you guys Wink
(09-23-2008, 08:15 PM)Combine_Advisor Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for youre lovely comments. I especially enjoy hearing that i "insult the world of sprites". What a great way to welcome a newcomer =) Thank you Big Pirahnah for some ecouragement and thank you Bricklin for youre constructive criticism and at least WELCOMING ME! I will change color to a custom but even though you see a straight line in a sprite, doesnt mean some one used line tool. But thanks for the advice anyway. Thanks also for saying it was pretty bad for my first time Chdonga. Ive been to alot of forums and if i saw something like these comments on ANY are it would be considered flaming and they would either be banned or be limited to rights others users have but oh well ill get used to you guys Wink

Woah dude lighten up a bit.This is just a way of showing constructive criticism...A tad over the top indeed, but none the less criticism.Customs arent the best things to start with.Before customs,you should try an edit,so you can learn mistakes before they happen.
ya i agree with ravenboy9 i sarted with a custome and it was pretty dumb 4 awhile but you will get the hang of things
I didn't mean to insult you, I was just saying that it looked like you put little if any effort into this. In fact it looks like you did all of the above on purpose.
Dude...after showing us what you think is hard work, do NOT be sarcastic. it just gets people pissed off.

I would think that you can see how your sprites are before coming to us. I mean....take a look at some good pixel art and you MIGHT just see the difference. Notice the smooth lines, the anti-aliasing, the lack of pillow shading, the consistent light sources, the lack of MS paint colors, use of hue shifting, and most importantly, the lack of blockiness.

that's what i did as a beginner. seriously. so what i'm sayin is if you can't learn from our criticism, try learning visually.

but just out of curiousity....what is it that you love about these?
(09-23-2008, 08:50 PM)ravenboy9 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-23-2008, 08:15 PM)Combine_Advisor Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you all for youre lovely comments. I especially enjoy hearing that i "insult the world of sprites". What a great way to welcome a newcomer =) Thank you Big Pirahnah for some ecouragement and thank you Bricklin for youre constructive criticism and at least WELCOMING ME! I will change color to a custom but even though you see a straight line in a sprite, doesnt mean some one used line tool. But thanks for the advice anyway. Thanks also for saying it was pretty bad for my first time Chdonga. Ive been to alot of forums and if i saw something like these comments on ANY are it would be considered flaming and they would either be banned or be limited to rights others users have but oh well ill get used to you guys Wink

Woah dude lighten up a bit.This is just a way of showing constructive criticism...A tad over the top indeed, but none the less criticism.Customs arent the best things to start with.Before customs,you should try an edit,so you can learn mistakes before they happen.

Oh its okay dude im not all that mad or anything its just that consrtructive criticism does not consist of "this is bad, even for your first sprites" and "you are a digrace to the sprite world" buts its no prob guys =) im not mad cuz i get the same crap at shcool Wink alls i know is people on this forum arent very nice and it will take me some time to get used to them but i am in no way mad =) i just didnt get a very good first impression in fact i got a horrible first impression but a first impression is not something to judge from =D
also...god damnit man you dont "do kirby sprites"

you MAKE em Very Sad<

EDIT: oh. one more thing. the way you're reacting to this is atrocious and its an easy way to get yourself hated. criticism is supposed to help.
Pages: 1 2