The VG Resource

Full Version: custom gameboy cart sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: all_of_my_8bit_gameboy_carts_i_made_by_l...6fi3bz.png]
i made this for a map of mine but i'll let people use them as they see fit (they are 8 bit sprites)
8-bit is one of the sketchiest Terms in the ways of spriting... But anyway they look flat... Very Flat unlike a real Gameboy Game which is three dimensional, these feel more like colored boxes with little effort. However the top right cart is heading in the correct direction but still needs more work. I would check here for help: http://www.vg-resource.com/showthread.php?tid=13868
Quote:i made this for a map of mine but i'll let people use them as they see fit (they are 8 bit sprites)

*breathes deeply*

they are not 8 bit sprites.

Did you pick colors from this palette?

[Image: Screen_color_test_Teletext.png]

or this?

[Image: AppleII_palette_color_test_chart.png]

or this?

[Image: Screen_color_test_AppleII_LoRes_RF_OutOfGamut.png]

or even the NES specs (the more known 8-bit)?

[Image: NES_palette_color_test_chart.png]

Have in mind that in the NES (and maybe other hardwares), each 8x8 tile within the sprite can have three colors in the sprite, plus transparency. Therefore, your sprite is not 8-bit. It's just a lazy excuse to avoid shading the sprites. Please don't do it, real 8-bit sprites are really difficult to do and if done right, they can have a lot of detail.
you sure? look at my avatar
(08-01-2013, 02:42 AM)leoalex50 Wrote: [ -> ]you sure? look at my avatar

I'm VERY Sure. I could take your sprite and do so much more with it while staying in the boundaries of something in NES Style
[Image: 3f6258c980e7a55de431b2d3f9aa2fff.png]
oh....kay i'm trying to make mine small for mm8bdm weps and the ones i have are for the map i'm making so i'm just going to go do that
edit: i was talking to the admin at the time blackfeather
Gors(salami) knows what he's talking about when it comes to these things. He has some experience when it comes to sprite styles, various numbered bits and what not.
These are severely lacking in any detail and any semblance of effort. The whole point of spriting 8-bit graphics these days is pushing the limitations of what is possible on 8-bit hardware.

I'm sure that if you took the time to perhaps draw the cartridge from an angle with perspective and some sort of shading in addition to using the NES palette and limitations, we'd be able to give more critique/input to help you improve even further.

it's rather insulting when people use the excuse of "it's 8-bit" when their spritework lacks detail/effort. I'd suggest browsing through the NES section of tSR for a better look at what the NES is capable of.
tip: while most of these replies have been things like telling you that they're lacking in detail, nobody has actually told you why
it's clear you have no proper grasp of the 3D shape of the cartridge, because you're trying to pixel it directly from head on without grasping what a proper lightsource, even a soft one, could do to highlight the texture or features of the cartridge at all. angle and perspective aren't necessary to make something good looking, perspective from directly forward is still perspective

also, i'm going to give you another tip (for free, no money down) i can tell you're an amateur and you're just starting: don't start with 8-bit pixelart. the constraints are too high for someone trying to actually learn anything.