The VG Resource

Full Version: C+C on my character (*need tips on body*)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Long time no post here...so i want to make some original games...a simple platform game with my own design...
So this is my main character....i am bad making the body, so any help would be apretiate...
[Image: r3tr.png]
Well before we even start on a body, let's work on that face. It's terribly bland and generic, nothing about this character is memorable or striking, it's generic FF7 Cloud #513234.

Here some examples of more dynamic character faces that make for a more pleasing and unique character
See how these characters (both pixelart and traditional drawings) have a unique and memorable presence? Try to build something like that, something that will really strike the player of your game and make them remember it. Hell it'll even make it pop out and be more appealing to players, I would love to play a game starring that chicken man, he just looks like he'd have an interesting story. While your character again seems generic and presumably so is his story (now it could be totally unique but if this is the character whose my first insight into his world, his world doesn't look all that creative to me). Try drawing him on paper, experiment with his design and constantly try new ones and modify them from parts you like of the others so that you have one unique and finalized design that you can then translate to pixels.

Also your colours lack contrast and even have kind of a plastic presence. Not to mention the sprite at normal zoom is actually difficult to read.
I really apretiate you comment....It make me see further to create characters... I will try harder here and see if get something new. And, yes..after seeing with caution, my hair appears made of plastic.
If you want some help on character design for when you decide to do the body, this is a link to a Pinterest board with a ton of character design references. If you're still stuck on doing the body, then I might be able to help.
Ok, so here is my character...
[Image: v3pu.png]

I thought i could make a game that is about planetary exploration, so i could use diferente gravity and else to make the gameplay more interesting...

So, opinions?

And deathbyjaguar, thanx for the link. Its really a discover for me.. Tongue
You should add some sort of lighting effect to the right edge of the helmet so that it doesn't look flat. Upping the brightness on the green visor will make it more apparent that that's what it is, and it will also make your character stand out more, as a game about planetary exploration will probably have a lot of dark and dull backgrounds (it's space, after all). By the way, you did some pretty good shading on the thin blue lines at the top, changing the colors of both the helmet and the lines.

And I'm curious, what is the hole on the left sprite? If you filled that with color and shaded it, it would look like a cool Mega Man-esque ear thing.
Quote:And I'm curious, what is the hole on the left sprite? If you filled that with color and shaded it, it would look like a cool Mega Man-esque ear thing.

Yes, i thought that. But i removed to no be a copy of megaman, which i like a lot.
So i made a few adjusts, and add a dark background.. maybe i need to change the colors for more readbility..i dont know....

[Image: vnek.png]
I think it looks great, and adding that band of light blue above the visor added more depth to it, which is probably what the helmet needed most. If you want to do a color change, then I only suggest making the blues brighter, but I honestly love the current design. Someone else is probably gonna throw in their expert opinion about something that I didn't even notice, though, and use a ton of spriting terminology as well. But I think it's good now.