The VG Resource

Full Version: My Sprite Showcase.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everybody, this is my first time posting my work and i'd like to get some criticism on it.

[Image: HhLFhhR.png]
[Image: H1HBHNm.png]
Thank you for your time
could you put it against a brighter background? It's a bit hard to read as of now.
Looks pretty good to me; I see you cloaked the face in shadow to further the mysterious atmosphere about this character. What is this for? Are you just spriting for practice, or is there some larger project?
(07-10-2013, 05:00 PM)Dream Fortress Wrote: [ -> ]could you put it against a brighter background? It's a bit hard to read as of now.
Certainly.

[Image: 0NhKjcD.png]

(07-10-2013, 08:09 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]Looks pretty good to me; I see you cloaked the face in shadow to further the mysterious atmosphere about this character. What is this for? Are you just spriting for practice, or is there some larger project?

It started as a TFR style sprite, but since i couldn't go on with the color limitation I just made a pixelart (thingy).
The background change is hardly noticeable. :p
(07-11-2013, 02:41 PM)ShadeDBZ Wrote: [ -> ]The background change is hardly noticeable. :p

But a dark background is better to se dark colours, in my opinion.
(07-11-2013, 02:44 PM)TheKCroxas Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-11-2013, 02:41 PM)ShadeDBZ Wrote: [ -> ]The background change is hardly noticeable. :p

But a dark background is better to se dark colours, in my opinion.

quite the contrary... Like think Batman... He wears a dark suit.... He is the Dark Knight... It is very difficult to see Batman in the dark.... Same thing with this... A brighter color background will make it easier to look at the dark colors
(07-11-2013, 05:29 PM)Hiyna S. Blackfeather Wrote: [ -> ]quite the contrary... Like think Batman... He wears a dark suit.... He is the Dark Knight... It is very difficult to see Batman in the dark.... Same thing with this... A brighter color background will make it easier to look at the dark colors

How about this? [Image: VEQaquY.png]
In the first color background on this, the face-shround seemed more vivid to me, but with the brighter background of the latest version, the held mask is must more distinct to me.

From a design standpoint, the features seem to strongly resemble the Organization 13 cloaks ala Kingdom Hearts, but the actual worn clothes seem more hood and coat rather than hoodie-robe, so i'm not sure if the resemblance is intended. It's not a bad thing i'm critiquing or whatnot, just pointing out this seemed familiar.

The head/hood seems a little too far to the audience's right and I think the boots could either use a bit more on the edges to convery a bit more thickness, o r maybe get another color up top to help indicate the slope; I think the layout of the boot-toe area is good, but tome, it seems a little more flat/thin than I think it should.

The extra little details on the hood are esp neato. So quick sum up, looks good, biggest thing imo is the head/hood seems a bit out of position
(07-12-2013, 07:44 AM)Xenterex Wrote: [ -> ]SNIP

Thanks for the critique I really appreciate it. I see what you mean on the hood and there is supposed to be a sigil on the top, which can be see as a shading mess. I'l try to fix the boots and yes, the rsemblance to Kingdom Hearts is intentional Smile
A new one:

[Image: H1HBHNm.png]

I mainly want clues on how to improve the head (specially the HORRIBLE mouth), please.
If you're referring to the color of the mouth, then try desaturating it and/or making it closer to the skin tone. You can also try a little fade out on the right side to not have an abrupt end to the mouth.
(07-27-2013, 09:47 PM)deathbyjaguar Wrote: [ -> ]If you're referring to the color of the mouth, then try desaturating it and/or making it closer to the skin tone. You can also try a little fade out on the right side to not have an abrupt end to the mouth.

I was referring mainly the shape but i'll try that and show the result. Thank You!
I'll spend time criticizing the black clothed character

[Image: VEQaquY.png]

it seems that you do have some notion of art in general. This translates somewhat well into pixelart but there still are things that need work on

for example, you tend to do a lot of banding (please refer to the spriting dictionary, stickied in this same forum section). The colors are too boring: of course, he is a mainly black character but pure black shades are quite rare in real life. Give it a tint of another color. Same with skin tone, don't just raise and lower the brightness tab when choosing colors.

The anatomy seems ok, but looks like his torso is too tall. lower it, and place the sipper a little to our right. After all, the character is facing to our right, and due to perspective, it should be facing a little more to the side.

Avoid using small pixel patterns too, as they make sprites unreadable and busy. As you know, your smallest element in a pixelart is the pixel. But one pixel alone doesn't represent anything in this sprite. So you must use clusters of pixels to represent shapes. If this shape is freckled with other pixels, or the clusters are too small, they will become really distracting and the shading will simply not work as intended.
(07-28-2013, 07:40 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: [ -> ]Snip

Thank you for the criticism. I've tried to fix some of the problems you mentioned:
I've lowered the torso, fixed some of the banding (I think) and unveiling the face colours.

As for the color pattern, it's more a character design problem than a sprite problem, and since I've tried to apply other palettes without getting a satisfactory result, I'm gonna leave the colors be this time. (I'll try to get a more varied palette next time)

I've put both of them together for comparison

[Image: QsXkBXy.png?1]

And in the brighter background

[Image: zcl7K08.png]
Pages: 1 2