The VG Resource

Full Version: Favorite Controllers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: greenhori.jpg]
(not my pic BTW)
Just got one of these bad boys recently after a fair bit of scrimping and saving, and... Sickheart: I am in love. It's probably one of the best controllers I've ever used; the D-Pad would be an issue for me, but good thing I don't play any D-Pad-madatory games on N64. I actually love it so much that I use it on my Wii whenever possible for Virtual Console/homebrew emulation and SSB Brawl via an adapter. (For those not in the know, this is the Hori Mini-Pad for the N64)

Anywhoos, on to my other favorite controllers:
-The Gamecube controller, particularly Nintendo's own and my MadCatz Microcon (the latter being my main Melee controller).
-The Nintendo Classic Controller: preferably the original no-handle version, believe it or not (my second choice for Brawl), but I do also like the Pro version a fair bit.
-Sega Genesis 6-Button controller: a classic, comfy design and a nigh must-have for most Genesis fighting games (i.e. the good ones). Pretty much the only reason I'd take the Genesis Street Fighter II ports over the SNES ones.
-SNES controller: bashing for fighting games aside, the SNES pad is still a delight to use to this day; it's fairly simple, to the point, and probably still the most prominent blueprint for modern controllers, even a little moreso than the N64's controller (analog input aside, natch)
-NeoGeo Pocket (Color): I dunno if this really counts as a "controller" (seeing as how it's pretty much the only control option available on these portables), but holy JEEBUS is the control-stick wonderful; it makes the multitude of fighting games on it such a blast to play. Has one less button than Ninty's own Gameboy/GBC, but it's not like you'd miss it with the NGP/C's catalog.
-Logitech F310 USB Controller: yes, one of many PS2-style PC controllers. However, I'd peg it as one of the best of its kind, as it's solidly built and controls well, alongside a decent price. My only gripe is that is has a "cap" style of D-Pad, but it's not loose or shakey, so no major damage done.
-Logitech G5: Again, not a real "controller", but it IS a gaming mouse. Anyway, my dad's old TF2 mouse now serves me well for my PC gaming, and I SUPER dig the changeable weighting.
-Megaman Anniversary Collection GCN Controller (jerry-rigged): My brother and I modded a spare GCN controller to work properly for the GCN port of Megaman Anniversary Collection (where B was made the jump button, and A the shoot button). This is mostly sentimental for me, granted, but I felt it worthy of mention.

So, what're your favorite controllers? I already have third-party stuff here, so don't feel that you're restricted to OEM choices.
The Genesis 3-button controller. That's what I played Puggsy with and other great games like Alien Storm, James Pond, and Micro Machines. It may not have been the most comfortable thing ever but the nostalgia blows everything else away.

The most comfortable and genuinely good one for me is probably the PS1/PS2 (maybe PS3 too, I dunno) double analog controller though. More than enough buttons, all of which are fairly easy to access, and both analog and digital movement (depending on the game, of course).

That said I don't play on many consoles nowadays so there may be controllers out there that I'd find better.
Gamecube controller is god tier
Yeah I'm going to have to go with the Gamecube controller on this one. It wasn't perfect though - they needed to do something different with that Z button.
if they updated the gamecube controller so that there was another Z button on the left side (so an L1 button basically) and the analog sticks clicked in for L3 and R3 and i guess analog L2 and R2, the controller would be perfect.
...and I guess a less.... nipple-ish C-stick.

For me the Xbox 360 controller is a distant second, while the Dualshock 1-3 is the next best.
the GCN d pad is awful for 2d games, I like the PS controller best overall.
okay improve the d-pad then

apparently the psvita has the best modern console d-pad?
The GCN d-pad just needs to be slightly bigger

The Hori GCN controller is basically a snes gcn hybrid and thats basically what thats for
(07-08-2013, 12:16 AM)Blorsal Wrote: [ -> ]The Hori GCN controller is basically a snes gcn hybrid and thats basically what thats for
I'm assuming you're referring to their GB Player controller, since they also have a fairly generic but funky-looking line of GCN controllers (sporting two Z-triggers). The GB Player controller seems to be a pretty neat controller, but you can't really use it for much outside of the GB Player/homebrew (i.e. emulation) since it lacks the Analog/C Sticks. Another big obstacle: good luck getting one (seriously, the starting prices I've seen for the GB Player controller are worse than those for the Mini-Pad 64, and tend to crop up in even fewer numbers).
yeah

it's specifically for GBA and old 2d games like MM anniversary and it works like a charm
I too, love the Gamecube controller. My favorite color being Spice (the orange one)

I'm also fond of the PS1 Dualshock Controller and the SNES controller.

Also, I've only played few games that utilize it, but I really like the Wii Remote + Nunchuck, such a different experience but it feels...right somehow.
(07-08-2013, 12:09 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]if they updated the gamecube controller so that there was another Z button on the left side (so an L1 button basically) and the analog sticks clicked in for L3 and R3 and i guess analog L2 and R2, the controller would be perfect.
...and I guess a less.... nipple-ish C-stick.

For me the Xbox 360 controller is a distant second, while the Dualshock 1-3 is the next best.

There's a type of GameCube controller with an "M" button in the L1 position. I don't know what its purpose actually was, but one of the Mario Party games would incorporate it if it knew you were using that controller.
Long live the GCN controller.
gamecube and xbox 360 controllers. they feel so goooooooooooooooooood
360 controllers have the worst d-pads ever in existance

[Image: Razer-Onza-Xbox-360-Controller.jpg]

Except this one. This is the best controller.
Pages: 1 2