The VG Resource

Full Version: Google Joins the War~
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...84764.html

It's so expected though. I mean...Google IS taking over everything, so why not games too? What do you guys think about this? Think they'll be able to compete against the ig 3? What sort of games do you expect its library would have?
Reminds me of the nineties, when there were way too many consoles. Unlike then, however, these upcoming consoles are more well known.

I'm still not convinced having all of these new consoles popping up is a good thing.
(06-28-2013, 10:02 PM)AuraLancer Wrote: [ -> ]Reminds me of the nineties, when there were way too many consoles. Unlike then, however, these upcoming consoles are more well known.

I'm still not convinced having all of these new consoles popping up is a good thing.
I understand what you're saying; it could potentially cause another video game crash. However, I mostly see it as a breath of fresh air. It's been the same 3 companies bickering back and forth for so many years now.
What games does Android claim as their own that is well known?
I really don't like the large amounts of competition showing up, especially with Nintendo beginning to go downhill due to a wide lack of support just because of the Wii. I can even say it wasn't the best, but every dog has its day, and I'd prefer to get the only one who remembers what innovation is back on track before anyone else joins in.

Even worse about this is that even if this does fail, Google won't care. They'll probably continue selling it since YouTube, their search engine, and Google+ will back them up, just like Microsoft.

I'm sort of tired of Nintendo being the only first-party to listen to their fans as well as the profits. Everyone else only does the latter, and I'm sure Google will do the same.

I need some reassuring that Nintendo will be okay, because every new competing company and article of criticism are just beginning to scare me.

Unless Google gets rid of their new ads on YouTube that constantly cause my PC to crash, I won't consider buying.

Also, why would Google enter the console business when a program for the Wii U is powered by Google?
(06-28-2013, 10:11 PM)AkumaTh Wrote: [ -> ]What games does Android claim as their own that is well known?

Not games, consoles. There were many consoles popping up in the time period that I mentioned previously that just weren't advertised well (or at all) made by no name companies. These days, we know who Steam, Apple and Google are, and even though Ouya is new and untested, they've been pretty well advertised over the internet.
I really haven't heard that much about the Ouya. I've seen what it IS, and what it can do, but I hardly ever see anyone talking about it. Perhaps Google will give it some healthy competition? I really don't see blockbuster games like Skyrim, for example, coming out on a Google console anytime soon, but there's always the appeal of the casual market, no?
http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-takes-flight/

This looks kinda cool, sort of like a cross between the wii, gamecube, and PS3 Smile

The controller looks kind of funky, I don't think I would find it comfortable, but the console is very nicely priced, so I think it might be fun to get one Smile
Although I've yet to hear anything positive from anyone who owns a Ouya
I can't see Google ever succeeding in a console war. Google is casual as heck, and casual gaming isn't a predominant buying force on any home console. Casual gaming has moved to the smartphone, a system where Google is already firmly planted.

I can only see this as a way to woo developers and not consumers. Android developers make significantly less profits than iOS developers and if they want to stay relevant they need to boost 3rd party sales. Unfortunately that problem lies within Android's open philosophy itself and no amount of new hardware will win Google's real war: the smartphone.
(06-29-2013, 10:42 AM)Skyye13 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.ouya.tv/ouya-takes-flight/

This looks kinda cool, sort of like a cross between the wii, gamecube, and PS3 Smile

The controller looks kind of funky, I don't think I would find it comfortable, but the console is very nicely priced, so I think it might be fun to get one Smile
Your comment...doesn't match what's going on in the comments there o.o. Most of those comments are people who pre-ordered/backed an Ouya and never got it, and are wondering how to get a refund. That's pretty shitty =O. I'm sure Google won't have THAT problem. I mean...as rich as they are?
(06-29-2013, 03:02 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure Google won't have THAT problem. I mean...as rich as they are?

You can pump money into something and it can still die. There are a ton of examples of that in the tech world.
I saw Ashens review an Ouya a week or so ago. Turns out he didn't even back the kickstarter, someone had sold it to a secondhand shop and that's where he found it. I honestly don't remember what he said about it, I was having insomnia that night and that was near the end of it.
(06-29-2013, 03:18 PM)Sengir Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-29-2013, 03:02 PM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]I'm sure Google won't have THAT problem. I mean...as rich as they are?

You can pump money into something and it can still die. There are a ton of examples of that in the tech world.
That's not what I was referring to though. I simply meant having issues with getting your hands on the actual console once you've ordered it in some fashion. It may die if it doesn't have a decent library, or at least enough followers to keep it afloat though, in which you're correct.
Hehehe, my bad, then XD

So, does anyone here actually have an Ouya?
Pages: 1 2