The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Llama's Spritings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Trying to get a game going for which I need sprites, so I figured I'd get some feedback on them, starting with the main character.

[Image: piequestgirl_spriteWIP1_zps560ec907.png]

Here's the picture it's based on, if that's needed.
I like the design and the shape of the sprite. Shading could be a little bit better in the dress, apron and hand, but that is a weakness of mine as well.
The dress needs more contrast, so does the hair brightening. I also find it weird on how her mouth is so close to the eyes.
I'm pretty sure that "mouth" is supposed to be an anime blush line type thing. I can't think of any examples to show what I mean right now...

It does need more contrast, but I think it needs more saturation and hue shifting too.
It's sort of a shading thing around the nose area. The face seemed kind of empty without it.

[Image: piequestgirl_spriteWIP2_zpsf50a3b2d.png]

Did some contrast shifting and extra shading and added the first running sprite I've done so far. I know the colors don't match up on the running one; I started it before I started shifting colors and I want to make sure all the pixels are in the right place before I start changing colors since it currently exists in multiple layers in the original PSD file.
I'd say the head is way too huge and tell you to check out some anatomy references, but as I can see that you're probably going for an "Anime Style", you probably want a bigger head.

Be that as it may, It kinda looks like a big ugly potato, so shrinking it down a ton and centering the eyes properly is a good fix.

Other than that, yeah, increase color contrast.
Hmm...I'm no expert on anime design, but I can kind of see where Thumbtacks is coming from. I've always struggled with anime heads myself, so I can only suggest you go for a slightly sharper chin and more defined jawbone there.
I think you could manage the palette more easily by cutting down the number of colors you used. While doing this edit I found that the two sprites didn't even use the same colors. Also, I made the green a bit more saturated to liven it up a bit. the sprite uses 16 colours (15 +transparency) I know it's tempting to give each colour 3 shades, but there are times when you can share a color when they're similar enough.
[Image: dzp.png]
I hope Llama uses your edits Sketch, they look frikkin great.