The VG Resource

Full Version: Nintendo's Stance On Used Games
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/13/4426338...tter-games

It's worth the read. I say it's the perfect solution and makes perfect sense.
Half of the topics you make belong as posts in the gaming lounge.
That being said if this is the quote from Reggie, I say bravo Nintendo
That's awesome, but I wish Nintendo would take a better attitude toward their digitally distributed items.
I know this has been said to death.

But do we really need -another- topic to talk about every single bit of news that's released? We have a LOUNGE for that reason
Is that what it's for? I thought the gaming lounge was just a place for people to post things like "I'm playing X," "I just finished Y" or "Accomplishments on Z." I'm not too keen on megathreads anyway, because things get lost within those pages that could potentially be a great discussion thread. I'm sure if there were issues with the creation of this thread, the moderators or administrators would do something about it, because after all, it is their job is it not?

With that on the table, what are your thoughts on the validity of their statements?
(06-14-2013, 07:30 AM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]Is that what it's for? I thought the gaming lounge was just a place for people to post things like "I'm playing X," "I just finished Y" or "Accomplishments on Z." I'm not too keen on megathreads anyway, because things get lost within those pages that could potentially be a great discussion thread. I'm sure if there were issues with the creation of this thread, the moderators or administrators would do something about it, because after all, it is their job is it not?

No, it's for gaming discussions in general, including this kind of subject.

We don't need 1000 threads on specific subjects. Because half of the time people stop caring within 5 posts.

It just comes off being spam more than anything else. I'm not saying that you're intending to do that but to be real with you in the long run threads like these just come off like that on their own because the subjects aren't worth discussing. This is pretty much the problem with almost all of the threads you have made.

EDIT: I'm not trying to be a dick about it, nor am I trying to come off as a mod. But I think I should at least tell you what happens realistically what happens to these threads if the subject isn't a hot one member to member.

Far as Nintendo and used games go I think they have a good stance. I know they care about the re-playability of their games so I think it might work in the long run.
The Lounge is not for 'I'm playing X or Y', that's the job for the 'What are you playing' thread.

While making threads is an action without any restrictions (given it's inside the rules), it's not something we should abuse. I enjoy discussions as much as the next guy, but making 28+ topics in the Game Discussion thread (I counted them, and got bored before I could finish the three pages worth of all the threads you made) is not, in my opinion, common sense.

Basically almost all your threads were like, "Look this" or "I don't like X game, how about you" or even "Y game is interesting". Those are of little discussing potential, and spammy in nature. Notice how the topics here tend to be made for bigger news, such as a whole thread for SSB; a whole thread for Animal Crossing, and so on. Those have more discussion potential, and thus allowed to have a separate thread.

We are not against you making threads in any way; but members will notice if you start making them quite frequently, as it's the case now. The Lounge thread's purpose is not to 'belittle' the topics you might have; they make the section tidier, and more people visit them than random little threads scattered all over the place.

Our job is indeed to keep things tidy and we discussed about this beforehand, so please refrain from making topics in an exaggerate manner. Analyze the topic in your hand and see if it can be posted in the Lounge instead. I'll leave this topic open, but consider this a verbal warning.
I'm going to be completely honest: I fail to see the common sense behind it. Here's my reasoning why:

First of all I can understand some of the threads I made going in there, like Unlicensed/Pirated games and perhaps Ocarina of Time, but when it's discussion about the choices that the major gaming companies are making that can potentially affect the gaming market as a whole....I don't see how that falls under megathread territory. Not unless said megathread is specifically dedicated to the company, i.e. "Nintendo Megathread."

Following up...we have events like E3. So, E3 happens, the companies spill their beans and planned releases. Why is this a special case in which the planned releases get individual threads, instead of three (or so if there are more participants) megathreads respectively titled "Nintendo E3 2013, Microsoft E3 2013, Sony E3 2013" and etc?

Don't see this as rebellion or any such negative thing; I'm genuinely curious as to what falls under megathread territory and what doesn't, as I seriously don't understand.
You must use something called 'common sense'.

Basically, new games get their own thread. Consoles get one too. One for game-related sites and/or accessories, such as Steam or Kickstarter. Anything that is not a new game or console naturally should not have a new thread.

Your problem is that you tend to overspecify or overgeneralize things. A Nintendo E3 thread you said would be a terrible topic because E3 dishes out a shitton of info at once, and separate threads would be the best to discuss about it. And disliking Ocarina of Time because of small reasons leaves us with too little space for discussion. Crazy Bus too.

When making a thread, have in mind its discussing potential. "Will making this thread have potential discussion? Or will it just be a place where I talk about my opinions, while leaving little to no space for contribution from others?" We are a community, we want to give our input in the topics too, so make one that you think everyone could contribute. For example, instead of talking about how OoT is bad, you could extend it to discussing game design. Or instead of talking about Crazy Bus, talk about pirated/bootleg games and its quirkiness. Those are just 10-second suggestions so they might not fit, but by opening the discussion, the thread will lose its spammy, selfish nature and be a true community topic.

A discussion about used game stance is pretty general (everyone has been talking about it) so it could very well been in the Lounge thread. Notice that making this thread didn't bring any answer other than "I agree" "that's nice" and so on.
Mmm... I actually recall his OoT thread going on for quite a while...

What's the point of having a gaming board if not to discuss gaming? Why not just restrict all gaming discussion to a gaming thread? Koh has made some pretty poor threads in the past few months, but I don't particularly think this is one of them. This thread actually feels very relevant to what is going on in the industry right now, and it does leave room for lots of discussion potential.

I think the main problem is that a good chunk of us have already had the opportunity to express our opinions on similar-enough subjects that how we feel about this specific event should already be fairly obvious.
It must be nice to be Nintendo. A game company that can take literally ZERO risk, make billions, and still come out and say "well it is just easy just make better games hurdur". Not everyone can just keep pumping out Mario as their "better game".

And I aint hating. You wont meet a bigger Nintendo fanboy than I.
and his OoT thread did go further, but not because of his will; the members 'derailed' it in a good manner, opening up more discussion-worthy subjects, which was general game design.

Again, what I (the tSR) ask is not 'stop making threads', but rather 'use them in an optimal way'. Kriven also nailed it in his post, sooo
(06-14-2013, 11:01 AM)Kriven Wrote: [ -> ]Mmm... I actually recall his OoT thread going on for quite a while...

What's the point of having a gaming board if not to discuss gaming? Why not just restrict all gaming discussion to a gaming thread? Koh has made some pretty poor threads in the past few months, but I don't particularly think this is one of them. This thread actually feels very relevant to what is going on in the industry right now, and it does leave room for lots of discussion potential.

I think the main problem is that a good chunk of us have already had the opportunity to express our opinions on similar-enough subjects that how we feel about this specific event should already be fairly obvious.

That's not the point. The thing is that this thread is the equivalent of: "BREAKING NEWS: REGGIE SNEEZED, LET'S DEBATE ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS".

This could easily be a post in the lounge with something like "hey, what do you guys think? [post link]" and then the discussion would go on as necessary and we wouldn't have a dead thred within a matter of days.

The OoT thread was an exception, it was mostly because people were getting actually angry and the discussion evolved to something else.
Quote:BREAKING NEWS: REGGIE SNEEZEVery Sad LET'S DEBATE ABOUT WHAT IT MEANS

his body wasn't ready for the cold
So...specific things go in the lounge, and over-general things like Game Design as a Whole become threads? Got it; that makes creating threads much easier on my end Smile.

You make debates sound like a negative thing =O. They bring about many views of the same coin, which in this case could raise different points. To begin with, I'm the type that would believe Nintendo is justified in saying something like this, because their sales and games show just as much. Someone else, however, would see it as Nintendo being arrogant and would give their reasons why or why not used games could be done in a better way. Then we could talk about that, since this whole ordeal does revolve around used games. See? This is what you call evolving continuous discussion =).
Pages: 1 2