The VG Resource

Full Version: a new type of packman?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
this is my first OK not good but OK sheet. i came up with an idea of a whole new packman type of sprite called slige. its not to good but this is all i have so far.i still gota change and improve it alot

[Image: slige7zy8.th.png][Image: thpix.gif]
whoa... It really needs to be improved.

1- No line tool/circle tool/square tool/whatever. Use the pencil tool. Why, you say? Because MS Paint is dumb and doesn't make proper circles/squares (but you can make the circle and fix it with the pencil tool, without problems).

2- Shading is a technique that gives depth on your sprites. So if you want it to be 3D-ish, a bit f shading won't hurt. Just fix a lightsource and shade accordingly to it (if it's further the lightsource, then it should be darker and all)

3- Better colors. Want an example? Stare into that yellow box you've made. Certainly you'll have headaches. You need to use colors less harmful or unpleasing to our eyes. Making it duller will help a bit: just don't make it too dull, or else it won't look good.

4- You could shade the things making the colors gradativally darker, but that won't make the sprite look good. The hue-shifting technique will fix this problem. Making the dark colors blue-ish and the light colors yellow-ish, for example, will make your sprites look good.

5- Anti-Aliasing is your friend too. Check your disembodied crocodile head, for example. The lines are jagged and (again) unpleasant to our eyes. Anti-Aliasing is a technique that consists on strategically placing pixels to make it look smooth. An example would be your text in the sheet: it's all blurry, so it "mixes" with the background color.

Oooff. I'm tired now. maybe other people help you too. As for the techniques I listed for you, you can google it so you get better examples. But don't give up; you have a lot of things to learn, but "Rome wasn't built in one day". Wink
...I really don't like you.

..Okay, what are those.. things at the bottom?
Don't post things you know are obviously bad on the internet - make them good first.
You do not need advice for this - what changes need to be made are rather obvious.
(09-21-2008, 04:30 PM)Goemar Wrote: [ -> ]Don't post things you know are obviously bad on the internet - make them good first.
You do not need advice for this - what changes need to be made are rather obvious.

That's pretty offensive. He's a starter, and needs advice. No teacher would say that to someone. Just because you know more things than him doesn't make you better.

Also if he made it good before posting, then the Sprite Discussion topic would be useless.
urgh.

sky blue wiggler is your friend, right? IIRC he knows what he's doing. i suggest getting criticism from him first before showing yoru work to us.
ok ok. thank u gorsal for all the advice. but the thing is that first sheet was just the idea the layout.
the improved version that i realy would appreciate some good adive for is this one.
remember im still just a beginer so plz give advice. =)

[Image: slige2ts4.th.png][Image: thpix.gif]
Make the outline darker.
hmm... the colors aren't eye-killing anymore... but aside from that, you still need help.

You used a lot of colors on the biting head. You don't need all that colors to achieve a better sprite. also, he was still jagged and all.

I've made an example. He may be wrong, but I resprited him. Notice that I used fewer colors to do the work.
wow, would u mind if i used that
hmm, no

but the point of that sprite was to show where you need improvements. Don't see it as a "Ooooh someone made a sprite for me to use, cool".
o ok tx for the example
Are you a troll because honestly
Honestly

But anyway, just try to do what Gorsal did in his edit when you make your sprites.
ok sry, well heres wat i got [Image: slige4rq1.th.png][Image: thpix.gif]
im sry about asking plz dont be mad =(
It's getting better. I suggest you make Slige rounder in the back, but that's just my opinion. He's supposed to be bacteria, right? Also the shading looks pretty screwed up near the back.
Pages: 1 2