The VG Resource

Full Version: How Do You Approach Games You've Finished Again?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Not to be seen in a general light. Basically, once you've been through a game once or more, and have seen everything there is to see in the "normal" way, how do you approach your replays?

I personally try to find ways to either break the game, or make the game faster.

Breaking the Game
-Not to be taken literally. What falls under this category are bugs that developers didn't catch, by doing absurd things, such as bugs that mess up the maps and stuff. This can be enteraining all on its own to see what kind of crazy things can happen. A perfect example of this is using Link's Awakening's (Original) screen skipping glitch to get onto the top of the Southern Face Shrine. If you enter the door from the top side, the game starts to read RAM as ROM and all sorts of crazy things happen. The map bases are those of the official maps, such as Tail Cave, but the graphics are all messed up, and the treasure chests all contain shovels (but you can only open one once.)

Make the Game Faster
-Can go hand in hand with speedrunning if it's that sort of thing, but namely, glitches or in-game exploits that can be used in your favor. For example, any version of Final Fantasy 2 (The REAL FF2, not USA's ultimate naming screwup of all time). If you constantly attack an enemy, doing 0 damage, you still gain weapon exp, and can max out the levels quick. You can also make it even easier by putting the weapons on the characters' "bad" hand, so that the damage and number of hits are decreased.
Usually, the first time I play a game I'll just try to beat it with the story. I'll try to get better items and upgrades to try and help me out, but I usually just focus on beating the story. The next time around I go in and actually try to collect everything and get more items and explore a bit more.

Like in Luigi's Mansion, I just beat the game, then the 2nd time around I actually tried to get as much money as possible and get an A ranking.
Trying to clear levels that can be cleared by doing the Blue Shell dash from start to finish was fun in NSMB. Why didn't they bring the Blue Shell back?
I dunno, man, I just like, play em again and have fun.

I beat Metroid Prime once a year cause it is the BEST GAME E V E R.
(06-05-2013, 05:55 PM)Viiper Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno, man, I just like, play em again and have fun.

I beat Metroid Prime once a year cause it is the BEST GAME E V E R.
Same, it can be fun just playing again regularly...though of course, you already know the locations of everything lol.

What? Surely not better than Azure Dreams D=.
(06-05-2013, 05:55 PM)Viiper Wrote: [ -> ]I dunno, man, I just like, play em again and have fun.

This part right here deserves 1000 thanks from me.

If I love a game to death like Super Mario World for example I'll play it again and again because no matter how many times I beat it I can still have fun with it and even laugh at myself for making silly mistakes, because you know that you're having fun with it than seriously trying to beat it.

It's what I like most about older games.
My secret is that I never beat games Cool
I don't really replay entire games often. If I do though I just play it because it's fun no matter how many times I play it, and just play it as normal. Although I usually do things quicker/better than the first time.
I use Cheats and then either play just for the story or find ways to utterly break the game and cause it to crash as hard as possible. Or both.
I beat the game

then I complete the game

then I do challenge runs
First I play the game to 100% completion. After that, I give it a second go to complete it as fast as possible. If it's one of those games similar to Prototype (like The Incredible Hulk for PS3/Xbox 360), then I'll just replay it for the sake of being a God of Destruction...
Give yourself little mini-challenges.

In FF6 or Shining Force I only get the characters who are required.
For Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, only get Pokemon that are given to you. You end up with a starter, Eevee, fossils, Hitmonchan/lee, and Lapras.
(06-09-2013, 09:07 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Give yourself little mini-challenges.

In FF6 or Shining Force I only get the characters who are required.
For Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, only get Pokemon that are given to you. You end up with a starter, Eevee, fossils, Hitmonchan/lee, and Lapras.

I like when games have these built into it. Like Halo has "skulls" which are kind of like optional challenges for going back into the story mode again. Bastion also had a system like this called "idols" which would provide ridiculous challenges.
I dunno, RPGs with personal challenges like Main Characters Only wouldn't be hard for someone like me, because I'm the type of person who grinds a powerful team. Even if I'm not aiming to max out the base level, but the job level to get the highest tier abilities, like Final Fantasy 5 for example, it happens. Low Level runs aren't my cup of tea; it doesn't make the game harder, but rather, elongates everything, because you're spamming potions and/or healing spells every single turn while dealing what could be considered scratch damage. Just a waste of time for me; I'd rather work to build a strong team and see the efforts of my labor than reset a lot trying to get the perfect potion and/or healing spell spamming luck run.
I seriously play Cave Story too much. I'm bound to play it every now and then. One day, I'll try hard mode. Collecting all the Health upgrades are easy, so I need a harder challenge.