The VG Resource

Full Version: Well seasoned and well aged
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I tired to get this topic up earlier, but since the server was relocating, I had to wait...

Anyway, did anyone hear that Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages came out yesterday on the 3DS shop? I plan to get those two once I get the chance.

By the way, would anyone care to share their past experiences with these games? I remember when I first discovered the Subrosians. Ever since then, I became fascinated by those little cloaked guys. Also, I like the concept of the Black Tower. A tower that can reach the sky and is being built over the course of the entire game? Sign me up!
Both are great games, but Ages is far, far better.

on that note,

BEST SONG
(05-31-2013, 04:18 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Both are great games, but Ages is far, far better.

on that note,

BEST SONG

Typically, many people liked Seasons over Ages, but whatever floats your boat!

I like them both the same, really. Even though Seasons has a great overworld (including Subrosa) and plenty of call-backs to the Zelda games, Ages has more original stuff squeezed in there, more of a story, and better puzzles...... Odd... I made it sound like that Ages is better...

Oh well! They are both great games that need more love and another game created in its style.
I finished them both for the first time recently, and to be honest it's real hard to make a choice. Seasons was the first I'd heard of and the first I'd attempted to finish, plus I'd read a book of it (one of those books where you choose what to do), so it's a bit more nostalgic than Ages.

In Seasons you do have Subrosia, but to make up for it Ages has both Crescent Island (with the Tokay) and Zora Village, PLUS their present/past counterparts. Then again Subrosia is quite large.

If I HAD to choose I would probably go for Ages, mainly because the Mermaid's Cave has you travel back and forth between the past and the present, while Seasons has no dungeon in which you need to keep switching between seasons (with the possible exception of Snake's Remains, since you briefly come outside again at one point, although that hardly counts). Ages' story is also a bit more complex and interesting.

I seriously love them both though, they're both awesome.

(Link's Awakening is way better than either though.)
(05-31-2013, 07:21 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]I finished them both for the first time recently, and to be honest it's real hard to make a choice. Seasons was the first I'd heard of and the first I'd attempted to finish, plus I'd read a book of it (one of those books where you choose what to do), so it's a bit more nostalgic than Ages.

In Seasons you do have Subrosia, but to make up for it Ages has both Crescent Island (with the Tokay) and Zora Village, PLUS their present/past counterparts. Then again Subrosia is quite large.

If I HAD to choose I would probably go for Ages, mainly because the Mermaid's Cave has you travel back and forth between the past and the present, while Seasons has no dungeon in which you need to keep switching between seasons (with the possible exception of Snake's Remains, since you briefly come outside again at one point, although that hardly counts). Ages' story is also a bit more complex and interesting.

I seriously love them both though, they're both awesome.

(Link's Awakening is way better than either though.)

Yeah, traveling to a dungeon during two different ages is a novel idea. If we could have something like that happen in another Zelda game, that would be awesome!
the hell happened to the site.

Edit: Oh good, switching to afresh theme made it all better. Back in action.
Well that's not the right thread for this question, is it? :p

Back on topic, Ages also has two full-sized world maps with things to do in both maps, while Seasons only has 1.5 world maps (yeah, you could call it 4.5 if you consider each season a different map, but on most screens the season changes don't actually affect anything and are mere stylistic changes).
There are things I like from Seasons and things I like from Ages. I can't decide which is better though.
They were cool, at one point, then came minish cap.
i likes seasons more because idk i hated the old world in ages, everything being in sepia and whatnot
besides, to counteract the much vaster world in ages, seasons had subrosia that was pretty awesome
also seasons rehashed bosses from the first zelda and that just kinda kicks ass
I don't think Link's Awakening is better than either of them IMO. Both are way more polished than that game, even though I love all three.

Seasons would have to be my favorite. I got them both pretty much at the same time as a kid, but I played through both, linked games and all, and I love how much was in them. They sure were linear, unlike A Link to the Past, but that's fine; as long as the game is actually entertaining to play, I don't mind linearity...but sure as hell would've preferred it if we could do more exploring and sequence mixing. Ages was more about puzzle solving than action (It WAS the Mystical Seed of Wisdom Game), while Seasons was more about action than puzzle solving (It WAS the Mystical Seed of Power game)....if only they had actually made Oracle of Secrets (the Mystical Seed of Courage) game...it would've felt complete! Farore totally deserved to have her own game....but instead she gets to live in a tree for the rest of her life...how wonderful =D.
Seasons is superior for the simple fact that it doesn't have the forced Goron Dance minigame that my brain is literally incapable of doing. I have a beef against both of them for forced minigames but the Goron Dance drags Ages down farther.

And before you bring up Seasons having the Subrosian Dance - I hate that too, but it at least gives you some leeway for error.
(06-01-2013, 08:21 AM)Koh Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think Link's Awakening is better than either of them IMO. Both are way more polished than that game, even though I love all three.

Seasons would have to be my favorite. I got them both pretty much at the same time as a kid, but I played through both, linked games and all, and I love how much was in them. They sure were linear, unlike A Link to the Past, but that's fine; as long as the game is actually entertaining to play, I don't mind linearity...but sure as hell would've preferred it if we could do more exploring and sequence mixing. Ages was more about puzzle solving than action (It WAS the Mystical Seed of Wisdom Game), while Seasons was more about action than puzzle solving (It WAS the Mystical Seed of Power game)....if only they had actually made Oracle of Secrets (the Mystical Seed of Courage) game...it would've felt complete! Farore totally deserved to have her own game....but instead she gets to live in a tree for the rest of her life...how wonderful =D.

Actually, I would have loved to see a third game in that series. Since we have games that take on a very retro style, such as the recent Mega Man games (or as recent as they will ever be), I think this could be a great possibility.

Also, I think I recall that it is possible to do a little sequence breaking in Seasons. You need Dimitri to swim over to the Subrosa portal that leads to the Tower of Autumn to get that season early. I also recalled completing one dungeon earlier in that game, too, but I can't fully remember how to do it.

You can't do any sequence breaking in Ages, though, because it is more story driven than Seasons.
To be honest I'm not sure what could be done in an Oracle of Secrets game. Ages, you travel through time. Seasons, you change seasons. Secrets, you... tell people secrets? I mean, sure it would have been awesome, but I don't know what you'd do.

I also read somewhere that they decided to scrap Oracle of Secrets because a three-way linked game system would have been too complex.
Maybe you could enter the dreams of NPCs?
Pages: 1 2 3