The VG Resource

Full Version: Super Smash Bros Fighter project (Help Wanted)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I'm back on the forum after a long time thinking about what to post next. Those of you who have seen my other thread "custom SMB tileset" I am going to say now that I'll be leaving that alone for a while. So, a friend of mine on YouTube and I are working on this game called Super Smash Bros Fighter. It's been going through planning phases for a very extensive period of time, and I thought it would be a great time to get it off the ground and start the development phase. The "Help Wanted" is there as we are looking for programers, other spriters, a few musicians (My friend has already started working on the sound track, but, may need some help, as it's pretty hefty job for him alone considering the size of the project), and writers to develop a good story. Cutscenes will also be animated like a Japanese anime in American style, Like Avatar the Last Air-bender. Here is what we have so far for the main concept: Like in Sonic generations, (without Sonic) all the Nintendo characters featured in the SSB series have been flung through time, and Mario is the only one left, so Mario goes through levels of their past saving each of them. All of the characters saved will be playable. The levels will be in order as the games have been released. I myself am doing some spriting of some of the Super Mario characters here its what I have of Mario so far:
[Image: mariospritesforsomething_zps02a9b235.png~original]
As you can tell, these are heavily inspired by Mario & Luigi. I even used the same colors as the original sprites. More sprites of attacks and the like with be uploaded soon. Anyways, If you want to help with the project, let me know.
This sounds like a request to me.
(05-28-2013, 07:05 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]This sounds like a request to me.

If you don't want to be a part of the project, I'm ok with it. you don't have to do it if you don't want to.
though it's not more because of people wanting to help, it's just that you are recruiting people without any solid base done (a Mario sheet isn't a solid base)

as for the sprites, they are quite ugly, as if the elements were cramped (more noticeable in the diagonal poses, where mario's eyes fuse with his stache, and the presence if straight lines and off-balance placement of mario's head.
(05-30-2013, 10:48 AM)Gorsalami Wrote: [ -> ]though it's not more because of people wanting to help, it's just that you are recruiting people without any solid base done (a Mario sheet isn't a solid base)

as for the sprites, they are quite ugly, as if the elements were cramped (more noticeable in the diagonal poses, where mario's eyes fuse with his stache, and the presence if straight lines and off-balance placement of mario's head.

Well, Not everything I post will be final. plus I plan on posting not only sprites, but, stage concepts and videos of what I imagine the soundtrack being like. If people who join the project think they can do better than me, they can go ahead and try. in fact, I'd be willing to abandon the spriting part entirely if certain conditions are met. Also, because I'm busy on another forum, me posting something in those regards will take a little time. Plus, I take it you REALLY hate the M&L style of spriting
it's not so much that they're M&L-ish, it's just that they need improving in general.
it's true that M&L styles are overdone but we don't turn them away just because of that as long as they are made well.
but it's alright, we'll help you make these sprites better.
although I don't understand why you are making them M&L-ish with the same frames of movement as the originals, instead of well... using the originals?
it just seems pointless if you are trying to base them off already existing sprites of the characters. it'd be more worth the effort to make them into a different style so that it won't seem like a uh... redraw of the original sprites? I know they'll have other poses later on but I think you're better off not trying to base them off something that already exists that could simply be edited for this purpose.
(05-30-2013, 01:03 PM)Axle the Red Wrote: [ -> ]it's not so much that they're M&L-ish, it's just that they need improving in general.
it's true that M&L styles are overdone but we don't turn them away just because of that as long as they are made well.
but it's alright, we'll help you make these sprites better.
although I don't understand why you are making them M&L-ish with the same frames of movement as the originals, instead of well... using the originals?
it just seems pointless if you are trying to base them off already existing sprites of the characters. it'd be more worth the effort to make them into a different style so that it won't seem like a uh... redraw of the original sprites? I know they'll have other poses later on but I think you're better off not trying to base them off something that already exists that could simply be edited for this purpose.
It's because recolors aren't allowed.
What?
When did anyone say anything about that?
what I meant was to use a different style or at least base them off another game's graphics because as it stands now these mainly seem to be, and to be blunt here for a moment, just lower-quality, eyeballed traces/re-draws of M&L:SS sprites. that's why I say it wouldn't be worth the effort trying to immitate them when the original sprites exist. and yes I know edits of official sprites are discouraged in this case, which is why I suggest a different approach style-wise. it may be hard to take that given all the work you've put in already, but I really think it would be for the best to use a totally new design.
Since my friend and I just discussed about the topic, this thread is now unnecessary. Now it will be 100% original content.
(06-02-2013, 09:58 AM)TheMario360 Wrote: [ -> ]this thread is now unnecessary.

Errr, okay?
I guess this can be locked, then.