The VG Resource

Full Version: My first sprite...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
[Image: CFB48lm.png]

Any criticism accepted!
A weakness of mine as well, but the shading seems pretty weird. The light sources seem to be all over the place.
(05-16-2013, 12:33 PM)AkumaTh Wrote: [ -> ]A weakness of mine as well, but the shading seems pretty weird. The light sources seem to be all over the place.

How can it be fixed?
your sprite has

1-jaggy lines. when making a character, you must envision it in 3D and sketch a post with that in mind. You did this sprite without thinking in 3D, which caused it to look flat and without any perspective. Do you know those Egyptian drawings in pyramids, with men with rigid anatomy? It's like that.
[Image: Ancient+Egypt+-+%252854%2529.jpg]

when drawing, or spriting, you ideally should work on the shapes, perspective, volume to make a good work.

[Image: cat_sketch1.jpg]

in this case, even if the strokes are simple, the lines clearly depicts a cat, and the volume/depth is perceptible. See how the hind legs are near the front legs, and the balance between shapes. This also obviously applies to cartoons, as seen here

[Image: cat_sketch_by_wagataw-d31kgst.jpg]

so, try representing the volume in your drawings.

2-posing could be better, as well as its expression. What is it doing? What is it feeling? Drawing and pixelling is also giving a character... character. Right now, it seems to be scared with those huge eyes, but the body doesn't say the same thing (because of the lack of volume and anatomy).

3-Anatomy is important too. And it resumes to studying. Study cats or similar bodied animals such as lions, tigers etc. to get the idea of how their bodies work, the muscles, the bones. Don't be afraid or ashamed to google references, they are your greatest friend and many artists resort to them to get the best pose.

4-Colors are important to give volume. Along with the lines, shading is really important to make the characters pop. This being said, you must learn the shading's concept.

[Image: full_shading.jpg]

the general rule is to shade the opposite side of where the light is. If the light is coming from the left, the right side should be darker. Different materials are shaded differently; opaque objects are shaded like the ball in the image; metallic objects get harsh contrast and ambient reflection, and fur gets textures to simulate each hair.

Finally colors aren't meant to just get lighter and darker. If that was the case, being an artist would be easy! Tongue

[Image: colorstar.jpg]

this is the 'color star' or whatever you think it looks like. Those colors are all the same brightness level. However, notice that blue-ish colors are darker than yellow tones. You can use this to your advantage and give your dark hues a tint of another color. You'll be impressed how much of a difference this does!

If you want more pixelart/art references and techniques, please refer to the Spriting Dictionary pinned in this forum.
(05-16-2013, 01:33 PM)FillerSprites Wrote: [ -> ]How can it be fixed?

First, read Gorsalami's post above. He has a lot more detail about shading (as well as other things) than I could give. Second, in case there is a few things you didn't understand, check out the Spriting Dictionary Topic for specific meanings.
Ugghh. Getting the sprite to look correctly posed is impossible!
No-one said it would be easy. The people who make the best sprites have spent years practicing. Like any art form, you're not going to pick it up over night. Keep practicing, and eventually, you'll get there!
(05-16-2013, 04:16 PM)Hoeloe Wrote: [ -> ]No-one said it would be easy. The people who make the best sprites have spent years practicing. Like any art form, you're not going to pick it up over night. Keep practicing, and eventually, you'll get there!

Thank you! I should try until I get the correct position.
Excellent! You're keen to learn, and not giving up! I like you!
Well, after a few hours of redawing, I got it! I'll show the line art tomorrow!
(05-16-2013, 01:48 PM)Gorsalami Wrote: [ -> ]If you want more pixelart/art references and techniques, please refer to the Spriting Dictionary pinned in this forum.

jesus, criticism has come a long way since "don't pillow shade"
we've streamlines the crit process to get better results within a timely manner

the business of pixel art is very important to us here at tSR Corp.
Indeed it is. Consistency here is sacred, especially if you design sprites for their true purpose, namely games!
Nobody wants to see something which isn't pleasent to look at all, while playing a game.

May I edit your cat?

Edit: On a second thought, I recommend you to redo sprite completely from scratch. To edit it alone wastes too much time.
Sorry for such a long wait!

New lineart

[Image: 5D94cyK.png]

EDIT: FORGOT THE TAIL!

EDIT #2: Added tail!
Better! The thing I notice immediately, though, is that the back is too straight. I'd recommend rounding it more right by the neck area. You have a strange mix between sitting and standing, so I'd either pull the front lefts closer in or jut the butt area up a little more to get a pounce-like pose.
Pages: 1 2