The VG Resource

Full Version: Music General Chat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So we have a what are you listening to thread, but I'm way too pumped for the albums being released in 2013 to just talk about what I'm listening to. So I made a music general thread.

What kind of music are you into? Do you have any recommendations? Any news about the music scene/industry? Talk about anything music related here.

I mostly just can't contain my excitement for all the good music about to be released.

One of my favorite bands, Phoenix just released a new album called Bankrupt! and it's pretty solid, though a departure from what they usually do. Not only that but Born Ruffians just released a new album and Oberhofer just put out a new EP. Also Vampire Weekend is releasing a new album this year, and The Royal Concept is working on a new EP/album.

Anyway I think if you like indie rock/pop/whatever I think you should give any of the bands I mentioned a listen. Here's a recommended track by each of them -

Phoenix - S.O.S. in Bel Air
Born Ruffians - Needle
Oberhofer - You + Me (Still Together in the Future)
Vampire Weekend - Diane Young
The Royal Concept - D-d-dance
I prefer pure music to songs with lyrics. I mean I don't hate lyrics, and I have a bunch of favourites which contain them, but on the whole I just like listening to the music by itself.

I usually listen to videogame music, the soundtracks of Puggsy and the Professor Layton series being among my favourites. I also enjoy some game-less chiptunes, and classical music isn't too bad. Other than that I don't really have a particular genre I prefer, I just like some songs and not others Tongue

As I said I do like some songs with lyrics, for example Lead or Follow by Shihad. Again I just like some and don't like others, I don't really have particular bands I like, apart from maybe Gorillaz who have a number of songs I enjoy.
I'm also a fan of remixes such as those by schmoyoho. I also love songs using TF2 or L4D(2) voices, one of my favourites being Pills Here.

I have weird tastes Tongue
Nothing wrong with the Gorillaz, they're are an old fav of mine. Smile I guess I just like really hooky music with rich beats (most of that being songs with lyrics). I just cannot deny the power of traditional instruments with vocal backing. It's a tried and true formula. I love me some synth and chiptune, though. Really wish I could get into putting together my own tracks.
Music, huh? I've never been deep into music and have a rather broad spectrum of things I like to listen to. I'm hardly informed about anything going on in the music industry, I don't even keep track of new albums by my "favourite" bands - last time I just happened to notice them by coincidence.

What I listen to mostly would be two German punk/rock bands, Die Toten Hosen and Die Ärzte, both in the business since forever and still amazing. I also have some albums of Green Day, System of a Down, Metallica and Slayer. Concerning Video Game soundtracks, I really like the Silent Hill vocal tracks and some of the Sonic vocal tracks are quite neat, too (reminder: I don't even like the games haha). Did I mention that I like the tracks by Jonathan Coulton that came with the Humble Music Bundle a lot? Uhum.

I only very rarely get new stuff, though, and I often don't listen a lot at all for a while.
The largest sum of my music library is metal, but my favorite artist is Grimes, her music is one of a kind and blows me away with its beauty. I aldo like electronica and many other genres. Some albums I recommend to check out:
Grimes - Visions, Halfaxa
Kvelertak - Kvelertak, Meir
Ghost (B.C.) - Infestissumam
Baroness - Yellow & Green
Soilwork - The Living Infinite
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#(infinity)
Holy Grail - Ride the Void
The Knife - Shaking the Habitual
Royal Thunder - Cvi

I suppose that's enough recommendations for one post heh
Are any of you Daft Punk fans?
Have you heard the Get Lucky single from the new album?

I listened to it several times, and... I'm really just not feeling it.
It feels so lifeless and boring.

I really hope that's not indicative of the quality of the rest of RAM because I really want this album to be good.

I realize it's only the radio edit and as such has been butchered. I'm more than willing to give the full version a listen when the album comes out but I don't have high hopes :/
Yeah, Daft Punk is a favorite of mine Smile
(04-27-2013, 04:09 AM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]Are any of you Daft Punk fans?
Have you heard the Get Lucky single from the new album?

I listened to it several times, and... I'm really just not feeling it.
It feels so lifeless and boring.

I wouldn't really say I'm a huuuuge fan but I do love Daft Punk. And I agree, the track is kind of .. bleeeh. It doesn't feel like Daft Punk.
Quote:Music, huh? I've never been deep into music and have a rather broad spectrum of things I like to listen to. I'm hardly informed about anything going on in the music industry, I don't even keep track of new albums by my "favourite" bands - last time I just happened to notice them by coincidence.
Quote:I prefer pure music to songs with lyrics. I mean I don't hate lyrics, and I have a bunch of favourites which contain them, but on the whole I just like listening to the music by itself.

I usually listen to videogame music, (...) I also enjoy some game-less chiptunes, and classical music isn't too bad. Other than that I don't really have a particular genre I prefer, I just like some songs and not others Tongue
basically me when coming to music

I also listen to everything I come across so I can apply them in my works.

Artists:

Chiptune/Game OST:
*Jun Ishikawa
*Hip Tanaka
*Tim Follin
*Rob Hubbard
*Jeroen Tel
*Alberto Gonzalez

Artists/Bands:
*Cyndi Lauper
*Van Halen
*Moonriders
*Massacration
*Jorge Ben

etc
Most of the music I have are game soundtracks, all of which are from Sonic games. I mostly listen to the music from Sonic 3 and Knuckles and Sonic Generations.Tongue

I don't really listen to songs with lyrics much like puggsoy, but if I do, I will usually listen to Pop or Rock. I have all of Michael Jackson's songs and listen to them from time to time. I just love the rythem and tempo of his songs. I also listen to tracks by Linkin Park, my current favorite being "Burn It Down".
Forgot about Michael Jackson. He's probably the only artist of whose entire repertoire I enjoy (that I can think of anyway), Gorillaz aren't always completely my style.
I actually enjoyed Get Lucky, I didn't feel let down by Daft Punk at all. Sure, it's a simple and repetitive song, but what's done is smooth and I disagree - it undeniably sounds like them. This is only the tip of the iceberg, so I'm eager to listen to RAM.

I mostly listen to electronic music (anything from Avicii to Yellow Magic Orchestra), occasionally stepping out into rap, jazz, rock, reggae, ska, classical or anything else I may happen to fall on. I prefer instrumental, though.
I've been listening to some Eminem recently, as well as Boys Noize, The Doors and Tsunami Wazahari.
I think that the fact that RAM is a collaborative album will make it less like the Daft Punk of Human After All. A departure, sure but I suppose it gives them more scope to play around. I mean the Human After All album was great but it was great because the whole album was music you could immediately associate with Daft Punk.

I think RAM will be good for the simple purpose that it'll be different. Of course the album Alive 2007 is the one which I still play when I really want to listen to some Daft Punk.
Discovery is my favorite
Oops, I mainly listen to Bemani nowadays. There is just so much music and so many different kinds, it's kinda hard to not find a thing you like at all.
Pages: 1 2 3