The VG Resource

Full Version: Model/Texture problem? (maya or c4d)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I use Maya and C4D to view and animate models, but the problems is in maya when I smooth the mesh the texture distorts a little.
If i try to add a phong tag in C4D nothing happens, the model stays blocky looking.
I don't know how to use blender but it always says "cannot read file" when I try to import the obj file.

Do the models come out smooth in Blender is there a way I can fix it Maya or C4D? I didn't whether or not to post this question in models, textures, or here.

I'm using these Pokemon models btw.
http://www.models-resource.com/wii_gamec...index.html
There are two reasons for this. One is that the polygon faces aren't welded together due to the export process, and the other is because of those Normal tags you see assigned to the meshes. First, you need to optimize the mesh. Next, and with most DAE imports, you'll have to delete the Normals tags, which mess up how the normals look even on smooth models.

Glad to hear of another C4D user!
Thanks, they are welded but now I managed to smooth it in C4D. Honestly I'm new at it, and I understand maya a bit better.

Here's a screenshot to explain my problem:
[Image: 6zovfp.jpg]

See how the eyes and mouth textures are stand out after being smoothed? How do I make it look all blended like the the original unsmoothed texture?
You have to merge the meshes together, so the body, eyes and mouth are one single mesh, and then you weld (again), I think - at least I got it solved that way (though on 3ds max). I wondered about this at first, too - But in the end, it makes sense that vertices can only be smoothed by welding when they're in the same mesh.
They're put into seperate meshes in the rips because they use different textures and thus were ripped as seperate parts.
Big Grin Problem solved. Thanks for the help!!
Oh, right, yeah, that problem. You're lucky you have a newer version of C4D, as the older versions didn't automatically assign textures to specific mesh polygons when combining separate pieces.

As a note, you can also put the separate meshes as children of a Connect object, which does the same thing without actually fusing the pieces together. However, this is only a quick fix of sorts, and they're not very good for posing or animating.