The VG Resource

Full Version: Does anyone on this board care about Nintendo making new IP's?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Like, which of you hasn't gotten tiered of new formula's on the same faces?

You arer entitled to your opinion, but I won't hesitate to mock or ridicule if the answer is; "No."

Honestly? Kriven's last post in the new LTTP thread just makes me not want to pull punches anymore.
new formulas on same faces are needed because:

1-it is an easy way to make a genre acceptable. if you are not sure about the game's popularity, slap a popular character on it. Sure, it sounds lazy and a easy solution, but it is a possibility. Also, would you have fond memories of Mario Kart or SSB if they were all original characters? (they both were supposed to be IPs)
2-it helps making a series fresh. If Mario never improved upon the basic formula, it would have died out already, for example. A formula that feels natural to the basic one and is not tacky is welcome in my book.
3-Nintendo still makes IPs, see HarmoKnight/Dillon's Rolling Western/Pushmo.
Did someone say Dillon's Rolling Western? That game is great! You guys have to try it.

Anyway as far as IPs go, Nintendo uses the characters that would suit the gameplay the best. Originally Pikmin was first concepted as many tiny Marios! They made it a new IP because it really needed to be.

Gors pretty much said exactly what needed to be said.
(04-20-2013, 02:47 PM)Omegajak Wrote: [ -> ]Like, which of you hasn't gotten tiered of new formula's on the same faces?

You arer entitled to your opinion, but I won't hesitate to mock or ridicule if the answer is; "No."

No.
(04-21-2013, 06:35 AM)NICKtendo DS Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-20-2013, 02:47 PM)Omegajak Wrote: [ -> ]Like, which of you hasn't gotten tiered of new formula's on the same faces?

No.

Your name is a play on the word Nintendo DS. You are an abstract color of kewl. So deep (dat pixel count) is your lower screen display that every time I turn you on NICKtendo DS, I feel a surge of joy to know I can skip you and get straight to my game. Thus saving my retinas from your brilliant blaze of colors. (A comparison of you being the DS Home Screen.)

@GorSalad
1. You can have fond memories of anything if it's good. Mario Kart and SSB are absolutely fine with Nintendo characters in. I was more leaning to why the power house of design at Nintendo isn't trying to create more new IP's perhaps it's business? I know it take a lot to promote a game but I haven't seen any commercials for HarmoKnight or the Dillio game which both look fun. Why does LTTP-2 not make me as excited as it does others others?

2. I question that because Epic Yarn could have been a Starffy game or any anatomically cute character and been good.

3. I wasn't going in this not knowing those are both new IP's I'm just of the opinion why with Nintendo's track record of starting new IP's and them selling well, do they not have more new IP's up and coming?

Nintendo is free to do as it wants I'm just asking to see if I'm the only one who sees a lack of discussion and appearances of new faces.
That was never how Nintendo worked, though. They made a game first and attached a face later, that was always how they did it.

They started doing it the other way and we got the NSMB franchise.

As long as the game is good, does it matter who's attached to it?
No, not really. BUT the question becomes are only established creations the only ones that get expanded upon? If HarmoKnight and Dillio get sequels get more notoriety then that would just make my current question moot but for now it stands.

Maybe it's just my apathy to everything that has large fanbase.

I'm hyped for Bravely Default, but even at Square look at that the last new Square IP homegrown was TWEWY (I think...?).

Square I can't complain too much about because they aren't kings. They aren't your grandpa, they aren't the mentor. Nintendo IS that. They get it right largely on target all the time yet they themselves seem to have adopted the same style as a lot of other publishers who only push out shooters because that's what the public is after.
Also the illusion that Nintendo made more characters before is that there were no characters before (crazy, isn't it)

Nintendo churned out a shitton of new characters in the NES era because they didn't have any character to slap on it at the time. As their series became successful, the numbers of characters to pitch in a game increased, hence the spin-offs/sequels/etc. It's a double-edged sword: either they choose to use a well-known character, which they know it will give income, or a brand new one, which has yet to face the public test and pray to be successful. The game industry is a lot different from back then, the gamers are now comprised by a large amount of raging kids who deem games 'good' or 'bad' by looking at superficial things. Putting a familiar face will help introducing new concepts to them, and profitable characters will get expanded upon.
I'm not saying that is the right thing to do, and obviously Nintendo is not the only one to do this. Sometimes it's nice to see a new face, but all in all, characters alone do not make a game. If you have a godly character but shit game then your character will also be shit.

Also Dillon's Rolling Western and Pushmo did get a sequel Smile

tl;dr new IPs and their success rely entirely on the consumers.
What I dislike more than a lack of new characters are abandoned existing ones. It might be nice to have a Mushroom Kingdom RPG focusing on the allies from Paper Mario, or at least giving them cameos in other games.
Well there's another thing about Nintendo that I learned, there are many developers that work there and thy play favorites with characters.

Depending on who's making the game will factor greatly on which characters you're gonna see show up. I found out in an interview the reason Tanooki Mario returned is because some of the new guys making the game were a fan of that power-up.

So who or what they want to bring back into the game has to do a lot with what the developers were fans of.
Tanooki Mario wasn't revived to be a cash-in?
apparently not; the developers just happened to love it...
Yes.

Somewhat related, but I still lament how Dinosaur Planet became Starfox Adventures. It had potential to be a lot more. If Nintendo keeps churning out stuff like "New" Super Mario Bros. they are going to end up having a problem. They don't need new IPs per se, what they need are at least partially original and fun games. Super Mario Galaxy and Luigi's Mansion are examples of a good approach they took using an existing IP. Pikmin was a good example of a new IP.

Unfortunately I can't really buy their systems or the games on them right now because of my cash situation but I hope to change that eventually.
Not really. Give me my Smash Brothers and my Animal Crossings and I will just fine.
There is a reason they stick to their old IPs, and they addressed it once.

http://www.gamespot.com//news/nintendo-d...es-6407206

"There's a couple of driving reasons why you keep seeing a lot of the same franchises come back," Trinen said. "One is just the way that we develop games. What we don't do is start off and say we're going to develop a new game in X series or what are we going to do with it? It's really more about what is a fun and interesting new gameplay element or gameplay mechanic? How do we develop that? And then what kind of a character or what series is that really best suited to?"

"And so, in a lot of the cases, if you've got an idea that's really fun and really interesting, pairing that with, for example, Mario, then that takes a fun and interesting gameplay mechanic and puts it with a character that makes it instantly appealing to a very wide range of people," Trinen said.

The way Nintendo works has always been quite different from the rest. They don't think characters or franchises first when making their games. They come up with gameplay ideas first and later apply IPs to them. Which ones would work the best with the gameplay them put together?

Sure, a new IP from them would be nice, but is it required? Not always. Or only if the gameplay is unique enough to warrant it. Not to mention, they do still try a few here and there, like Dillon.
Pages: 1 2