The VG Resource

Full Version: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 2?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

Looks pretty good. Would get it if I owned a 3DS, but I don't, so meh. But at least they gave Link his orange-brown hair back. He never looked good with blonde hair.
I personally feel that this thread is sufficient for discussion about ALttP2, just in case you didn't notice it. But whatever.
Seperate threads for games are fine in my opinion, as I explained last time when I made a few.

But let's have this thread be about the game, not about what-deserves-a-thread!

I'm not too fond of the graphics and that they're apparently recycling the ALTTP overworld is too much of their retro fit. They also showed the hammer-bumping-to-go-upwards somewhat too often Tongue

I'm not sure if I want to get this one. Gotta see more of it first to be able to decide.
The wall-drawing-thing looks cool, but I hope they're not relying on it to be the main gimmick. It looks like it could add to puzzles, but it seems it would be annoying to do all the time.
I love the way they have taken the sprites and transformed them so beautifully into models as it really reflects aLttP.
Are they reusing exactly the same overworld?
(04-17-2013, 04:31 PM)Faeldspr Wrote: [ -> ]Are they reusing exactly the same overworld?
based on what they've shown, it's pretty close
http://kotaku.com/a-direct-comparison-of...Socialflow

probably make a tonne of small changes all over, so you can enjoy discovering what's different this time around.
WHAT NO PINK HAIR? I AM NEVER PLAYING THIS YOU HAVE LOST MY BUSINESS, NINTENDO!!!!!!
Someone has a 10 minute preview for it if anyone is interested

Looks like Flat Link is the game's main gimmick since it's mapped to the A button and not an item.

I'm really on the fence about this.
Lttp is just SO overdone
I don't know why we need a gimmick. Can I just explore some shit?
Nintendo usually doesn't think a new game in the series is worth doing unless it brings something new into the mix. I guess I can agree with that. Usually with different games in franchises we're all like: "Wind Waker? Yeah that was the one on the boat!" Or "Super Mario World? That was the one with Yoshi!"

Even Link to the past we had the whole Light World vs Dark World thing. Giving them these things makes them exceptionally distinct titles that we will always remember.
I mean a gameplay gimmick. Zelda didn't get that until Wind Waker, really (Though Majora really skirted the line). Mario didn't start it until Sunshine, but it's not being sucked in as badly as Zelda.

I want to explore a dungeon and beat a boss, not drive a train, or doodle on my screen, or be a wolf, or switch to 2D mode to crawl along walls.
The gimmick is pretty major. It's there for a couple of reasons:
-Exploration, obviously, though the hammer can be used similarly
-Novelty. Like Koopaul said, it's what is best remembered from the respective game.
-Demonstration/presentation. It is the thing that best shows the enviroment is 3D, which in turn makes use of the stereoscopic 3D of the device. It also does something ALttP1 could not possibly do.
-Irony. Probably just me, but turning 2D for the sake of showing off the 3D is pretty ironic.
(04-20-2013, 10:20 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]I mean a gameplay gimmick. Zelda didn't get that until Wind Waker, really (Though Majora really skirted the line). Mario didn't start it until Sunshine, but it's not being sucked in as badly as Zelda.

I want to explore a dungeon and beat a boss, not drive a train, or doodle on my screen, or be a wolf, or switch to 2D mode to crawl along walls.

Super Mario Bros. Franchise Gimmicks:

Super Mario Bros. - Advanced physics engine for the time and sidescrolling levels which had previously only been seen in space shooters.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Ridiculous number of power-ups to suit any occasion. Most notably it introduced Mario's ability to fly, changing the left-to-right exploration to an all-directional exploration.

Super Mario World - Introduced Yoshi to the franchise, giving Mario new "pet" mechanics. Also introduced the feather as a primary gimmick, which provided greater aerial exploration and use than the raccoon suit had.

Super Mario RPG - First RPG...

Super Mario 64 - It's in 3D!

Paper Mario - A unique game influenced by the previous RPG title which utilizes the idea that Mario is made of paper. The entire game is a gimmick.

Super Mario Sunshine - F.L.U.D.D., primarily.

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door - Mario's paper body can now assume paper forms.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario and Luigi act as brothers to clear obstacles.

New Super Mario Bros. - A mario sidescroller in 3D. Also added the wall-jump, ground pound, and triple jump to a 2D environment.

Super Mario Galaxy - Marios in space!

Super Paper Mario - Mario can switch perspectives between 2D and 3D.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Cooperative play for up to four players.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 - Gold everywhere.

New Super Mario Bros. U - Fifth player can create platforms.

Gimmicks have been with Mario for ages, and I only named the obvious ones. There's all kinds of other things, like the wall ramps in Super Mario World.

Now, I'm a lot less versed in Zelda, but...

Legend of Zelda - Complete and total freedom of world exploration and dungeon order.

Zelda II - Attempted that whole 2D thing.

---knows almost nothing about ALttP and LA---

Ocarina of Time - Riding Epona, using the magical instrument to manipulate the environment

Majora's Mask - Masks everywhere.

Oracle Twins - Interconnected gameplay

Minish Cap - ...The Minish Cap

Twilight Princess - Wolf

Four Swords - Four Links

Spirit Tracks - Driving a train (which is awesomely fun)

I skipped a few, but each one has a gimmick. It seems like the older ones are free of gimmicks because those gimmicks have become such a heavy part of the gameplay and norm for the franchise, but they were gimmicks when they were first used and designed.

Franchises which fail to add something new to the gameplay with each sequel grow stale very quickly and should probably evaluate why there was a sequel at all.
my issue with this is it just feels so lifeless and formulaic and sterile

it's like they're giving it the NSMB treatment
(04-20-2013, 04:52 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]my issue with this is it just feels so lifeless and formulaic and sterile

it's like they're giving it the NSMB treatment
This explains why I was turned on when I saw the thread title and turned off when I saw the video.
Pages: 1 2 3