The VG Resource

Full Version: what do you mean finish your sprites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
HAHAHA im horrible i didnt feel like finishing the spyro sprites it was nice and all but too much work for me right now in my last year of high school you know??
so i'm working on this ancient rathian sprite because i redownloaded promotion and i remembered why i loved using it so i decided to make a sprite in it!!
I initially made this as a bit of practice of "index painting" but i don't think i really did so cause I ended up just doing my usual pixel art stuff, only using a premade gradient or two and the darken/lighten tool :P so i guess it's not too bad?
[Image: f046e4b1143bc183a53be1dedef8c0f6.png]
anyways, not too confident on the shading of the tongue or the tail. edits would be greatly appreciated! And this time, I WILL finish this. XD;
My emotion tells me that the tail and the tongue are fine. Continue to shade the rest of your sprite for to complete it.
Have some quick thoughs of mine as a suggestion of some things.

[Image: p1Nut4n.png]
Original - colour adjust - some changes to some pixel clusters.

I'd increase the contrast. Maybe do a little more hue-shifting, too (dark red over to purple and such fancy things). I also reduced the colour count in my edit.
Concerning the tongue, I think it's mostly the shape that looks off and having the highlight rather centered seems odd to me, too - mine is more oriented at a bird's tongue, those are more stubby-horn-like than flat.
For the tail, instead of using dithering, I'd go for the shinyness you applied to the legs. You should also keep in mind that the object should be shaded as one, and not each little segment by itself. The lower part should probably be even darker than in my edit.
I'll say the lines look mostly good, and you've taken the important details of the design without trying to cram too much into it (I immediately recognised it as a Rathian at least, and it doesn't look too busy). I'd definitely take on board Previous' comments though. Contrast is important, and dithering is an incredibly difficult thing to get right, so try and avoid it if you can unless you're absolutely convinced you can do it successfully.
according to your light source, the tail should have shading basically like this

[Image: 2tVx3]
Thank you so much, Previous!! Heart3 I tweaked most of the colors and removed 3 shades from the red gradient for now. I would remove a shade from black like you did, but i'm gonna wait for now because I may need it.
I'll fix up the dithering on the tail, but the spikes on the end are needle like hairs and I tried to make it look "furry", heheh. I actually forgot she has that fur on her upper back, so i might add that too.
I also tried to increase the contrast of the shades in the black, i think i need to increase it even more LOL
[Image: 2e1b9634ae5f413348917a5cbb5ff4b7.png]