The VG Resource

Full Version: Trying this again on a whim.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys. I've kinda dropped off the face of earth, huh? College and stuff is kicking my ass so I don't do as much stuff anymore. Speaking of that, I have things due I'm procrastinating on to do this....I just wanted to try drawing again using the computer. Maybe I'll get better at it but I doubt it. Here's my first go. Not so much fighting poses like before as just learn how joints work, where what goes where and learning the tools tin the paint program I'm using. I'm just drawing for the sake of it really; I know things are gonna be off. Just trying poses and such, to work on joints and etc. This is pretty early though.

Decided this random char would now become Jack Frost from Rise of the Guardians movie, so pics.

Mind you, I'm still trying to draw this as I type. Also, I'll probably be updating, very sporadically, like most things I do since I have much homework to do.
it's .JPG'd or shrunk or something.
I know. Nice to see you again. But this not the time nor place for that. Mmmpfh...Imageshack does not like me today. I' gonna try to fix it so you can zoom in on it or something; I tried before but it's not letting me do it. Gah.

Done. Jesus, that was more complicated than it needed to be.

Edit 2: added more to the sprite. Still don't like it though.
There is typically no need to show such a zoomed-in sprite. 4x is often more than enough, and 7x is certainly overkill in this case.

To be honest, there really isn't much to talk about regarding your sketch. It's too early in development to form a really opinion on. All I can say is to finish the base form, since you've otherwise provided no reference to the character itself.
So far I can say that the shoulders lack definition and the torso lacks volume

Don't worry that much about "not liking it" right now though, just get the base finished and then you can tweak it. When you don't even have the limbs in all the way we can't tell what's going on and there's not really anything we can say.
Yeah, I'm having trouble making the curves on the shoulders/elbow rounded enough. I thought anti-alising would help make it smoother but it looks like crud. I'll try going pixel by pixel again.
You should probably have the whole body sketched out better before you start ironing out the kinks in the outline

I mean, wouldn't it be a shame if you finally got a part to look right only to realize your pose makes no sense and you have to do it over again anyway?
Yeah. That's what happens when I draw, then I get so miffed I quit. I'll try finding refs for the pose I want, then see if I can do what I want with it. I just feel dumb; I can't explain it I know what I want to do, but it keeps fighting me.
It can be hard to get a pose right even if you know what you're going for and even if you have references. It's tough for a lot of people, so you shouldn't feel dumb!

Taking some time to study anatomy might help you. If you study things and it feels like you're not getting any better, don't let that convince you that you're stupid or something. If you gain a greater understanding, you should be able to recognize more problems, which means it's easy to feel like you're not making any progress. You just have to keep going!

I know how hard it is to study anything for yourself when you're busy with college, but maybe you can keep it in mind for when you're on break or something. Until then I hope you can figure something out for this sprite.
I like this better, but the legs, left arm/hand and torso need work. Finally found some char images too, which I'll post.

he's that guy from Rise of the Guardians, isn't he? also why are your screenshots blurry?
Yeah. Jack Frost. Loved the movie, wanted to try spriting him. I have no idea; I took them off of Goggle; probably JPGs. They look fine to me though, but I'm half blind as it is.
oh no, I mean the images of your sprite.
I have them saved as .png, to make sure they weren't. Ah, I used prntscrn to get the zoomed in image since I can't get it that close up with the image site's zoom thing. I feel dumb.

It won't let you click to zoom in; I know you can do somehow using imageshack.

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/9360/sp...cefram.png

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/...efram.png/
actually, that size is just fine for us viewing it. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2