The VG Resource

Full Version: Bitesize (Donkey Kong Country) completed rip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have the complete rip (If I'm not mistaken) of Bitesize from Donkey Kong Country. I believe I captured all his frames. Regular swimming, the turning animation, and his death. If anyone remembers more, I will hunt them down and put them in. Until then, I present to you what I believe is the complete rip of Bitesize:

[attachment=1093]

For my next project, I will do Chomps and Chomps Jr. I am also attempting Croctopus, but he's difficult. The reason is that when I use ZSNES to disable the backgrounds, the backdrop becomes black. The problem is that part of Croctopus is black too. So part of his body disappears when I color the sprite sheet to another color. If anyone has any advice on how to get around this, I'd appreciate it. Here's a sample of what I mean:

[attachment=1094]
Ah, yes. I know that problem all too well.
(09-19-2008, 10:35 AM)Tonberry2k Wrote: [ -> ]Ah, yes. I know that problem all too well.

Do you have any advice on how to overcome said problem? Big Grin

The funny thing is that it works fine on the blue palette croctopus' idle animation. I haven't tried the blue palette's active pose yet, but here's what the idle animation looks like (heavy work in progress):

[attachment=1097]

BTW, did the purple croctopus have an idle animation? I don't recall seeing one.
Nice Bitesize! Big Grin

Also, might I suggest just recolouring the other croctopus to the one which uses the black?
(09-19-2008, 01:30 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Nice Bitesize! Big Grin

Also, might I suggest just recolouring the other croctopus to the one which uses the black?

Thank you! And is there some sort of program that will automatically do palette swaps that I specify? I'm not good at editing. Sorry for being nooby.
I'm having some serious problems with ripping croctopus. As I stated earlier, I can rip the idle animation just fine. It's the spinning animation that seems trouble. Part of him always appears invisible when placed on the sprite sheet and this goes for the blue palette as well.

The reason is the the background is the same color as part of the croctopus' body and when I change the background color, so too does part of the croctopus' body. Does anyone have any clue on how to fix this dilemma?

Here's the problems I have-

The regular sheet with a black backdrop in each frame seems to render the image correctly:

[attachment=1104]

But when the image is colored, we see the flaw that part of the image takes on the color of the background:

[attachment=1105]

At the moment, I'm at wits end about how to handle this and would really appreciate some advice on the subject.
yeah, I see...

Maybe you could start using YY-CHR (a ripping program), hard ripping it or copy the black parts on the ripped sprites.
This is just a suggestion, but perhaps the Admins could merge all your submissions into one topic, like "granville's L33T Donkey Kong Country Submissions", to save on the clutter in this section. Wink
(09-20-2008, 09:09 AM)Bane84 Wrote: [ -> ]This is just a suggestion, but perhaps the Admins could merge all your submissions into one topic, like "granville's L33T Donkey Kong Country Submissions", to save on the clutter in this section. Wink

That's a good idea. I'm sorry for doing the spam guys. I got carried away with being new, but that's no excuse.

So, if the moderators want, you can just combine all my posts into one to create "Granville's DKC series sprite rips" and I'll post them all in there! Wink
I know how to fix that palette issue -- use vSNES! Although you have to make a savestate for each and every frame, you can set the background color to whatever you want. That's how I managed to rip the Rockroc for Tonberry2k.
[Image: DKC_Rockroc.png]
(09-20-2008, 09:26 AM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]I know how to fix that palette issue -- use vSNES! Although you have to make a savestate for each and every frame, you can set the background color to whatever you want. That's how I managed to rip the Rockroc for Tonberry2k.
[Image: DKC_Rockroc.png]

Bravo! Thank you! I knew about vSNES, but I didn't know about the change background color feature. Much appreciated! Big Grin I just need patience enough to rip 12 frames! I guess that's actually 24 considering I need the blue palette too.

And by using vSNES, I am able to better rip the map screens in DKC3! I just rip the water layer in ZSNES and then rip each separate background priority. I'll post Lake Orangatanga map in my maps topic now.
If I recall correctly, Croctopus is generally one frame and a 45 degree rotation for spinning and has 4+ frames for idling. The two colors can be found in Coral Capers (world 1 water level) and Croctopus Chase (Ice mountain swimming level). Good luck getting them. I remember trying a few years back, the bubbles were a problem, as they were on the sprite layer too Sad