The VG Resource

Full Version: Personal openBOR Rushing Beat/Rival Turf project
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I figured it's about time I start showing off spriting artwork for a personal labor of love redoing the rushing beat series with a coherent narrative and general enhancements with the use of the openBOR community. This brawler from my childhood was one of my favorite and most memorable games I shared with my brother. And as an artist by profession I figured the only way it can happen is if I focus solely on the artistic side and have all artwork completed before seeking out coders who would be interested in helping in this endeavor in exchange for artistic skills on their projects. Or actually invest and hiring some.

The best thing about this Jaleco series is that it starts off as a forgettable simple final fight knock off to a complex original take on the brawler genre. So by doing these games in a row can offer a learning curve and maybe I'll actually learn the ends and outs of openBOR but since I'm mentally retarded when it comes to any kind of basic programming I'll most likely always need outside help.

My mission statement for Rushing beat Rival turf as I planned to combined both the Japanese and American titles. And as I stated before I plan to basically re-create the game using a majority of the original content graphics, sounds, music. Here's a list of things I plan to add as well as a story to connect all three games in English for the first time using what I know about the story through the Japanese versions and what me and my brother made up ourselves.
  • A female goon enemy
  • A brand new hand drawn level
  • A hand drawn female boss
  • More weapons, including firearms
  • Some new music
  • Two new playable characters, changing the 2 player dynamic too a 4 player.

Since I work freelance I have to make sure that I don't sink too much time into this project especially considering how easy it is to get lost in pixel artwork, the two big time-consuming projects will be learning how to pixel draw a new level so it seamlessly blends in with the current art style of the overall game as well as create a new boss also hand-drawn in pixel art. Everything else I've been using clever editing.

That being said I can't help but add additional frames of animation to a lot of the boss sprites severely lacking most likely since this game was made on the cheap with an insane deadline. Here are some examples of more frames of animation for the few attack patterns that the bosses had and some I made to give a new attack pattern in addition with their usual two.

Here's the one that's actually completed. Instead of his one frame animation of the big boot and his instant kill choke slam. I gave him a shooting attack and at least one additional frame to the big boot attack. The idea is not to make these new frames better or worse than the original art style.
[Image: Rc5ImZo.png][Image: ARQ3a.png]

For the Iceman I didn't want to add to his arsenal but actually give a full rotation for his spin kick attack. The original is only one frame with him spinning at a high rate. It never looked good.
[Image: mhla5cu.png][Image: Brfng.png]

With sledge I gave him a windmill attack. Mainly because his one and only attack a flying head but is almost unidentifiable as an attack. Besides, a breakdancing enemy without a windmill attack is blasphemy. My only problem with this is that these are a lot of frames, but I don't think it would look like a windmill without this many frames.
[Image: 1n6TvMV.png][Image: iKZu48W.png]

I pretty much have collected every single graphic from the original game and aside from the two big ones, creating my own level and boss I'm coming close to having all the graphics I need and can start looking for openBOR coders.

Interested in hearing any feedback or critiquing. Or just hearing from fellow fans of the series.

Boxer