The VG Resource

Full Version: Pixelfus, my first try!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hiii all! Im new here, i want to learn to make pixel, this is my first pixel art work... they are all characters from a MMORPG called dofus.

I alredy posted this images on devian art so im going to try just to copy the deviant art url.

[Image: sacrier_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d4193mr.png]
This is a sacrier whit a sword called raciela.

[Image: sadida_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d4192c7.png]
this a sadida male.

[Image: yop_female_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d4191xx.png]
this a female yopuca whit a raciela.

[Image: yop_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d4191sx.png]
this a male yopuca whit a raciela.

[Image: xelor_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d4190z8.png]
this a xelor, a mage of time, my favorite character for this game.

[Image: cra_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d418x1j.png]
This a cra, a common archer.

[Image: ecalif_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d418wih.png]
this a ecalif, a human cat.

[Image: anutrof_in_pixel_art_by_pixelfus-d418sru.png]
this a Enutrof, a old man who drop alot.

I make all these sprites for a game that i called Pixelfus, if you want to try it out here is the url http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33603247/Pixelfu...ev%202.rar

this was a alpha release, when clossing this will send you to a no existing forum (cuz it was closed for inactivity), so dont be alarm if you browser open alone LOL, and its for windows(wine if you use linux).
I will be blunt here, those are pretty bad (which is ok for a first try, after all we gotta start from somewhere)

Those sprites all suffer from MS paint coloring, different resolution in objects, no sense of anatomy or nothing. The pixels aren't even evenly resized, making some lines and columns be a pixel thicker than the rest. Avoid this.

Spriting and pixel art is about placing pixels in an intelligent way to convey the character, it's depth and everything traditional art does. This is nothing short than 30 second doodles in MS Paint. Go check the other threads in this forum, as well as the spriting dictionary for techniques and definitions on why your sprites are subpar.
also if you feel you must show a resized version, include the original size as well so we can tell better how it should look.
That reminds when I started with MS Paint... God thank I got better over the years.

However before I give you any advice Klys, I have a question for you. For what kind of graphics are you aiming for? NES or SNES graphics?
thanks for the C+C, im aiming game boy advance graphics.
When you first start spriting, using false restrictions is not the best way to go. The gameboy can handle a much larger color palette than what you have above.
Your sprites also lack depth, as there currently is no shading involved.
[Image: pixelfus_palette_ex-1.png]
(just an example of color palettes)
(03-14-2013, 10:15 AM)EpicEbilninja Wrote: [ -> ]When you first start spriting, using false restrictions is not the best way to go. The gameboy can handle a much larger color palette than what you have above.
Your sprites also lack depth, as there currently is no shading involved.
[Image: pixelfus_palette_ex-1.png]
(just an example of color palettes and I just took a few colors from LoZ: four swords)

On the other hand, just because you can use more colours doesn't mean you have to. Your edit uses more shades than needed and the shading is a gradient and thus doesn't show the shape and volume. So all in all, it's not a huge gain.
It's also worth it studying existing sprites with styles similar to what you're aiming at. For Wakfu/Dofus... maybe Final Fantasy sprites? Hrrm. Card Saga?
(03-14-2013, 10:42 AM)Previous Wrote: [ -> ]On the other hand, just because you can use more colours doesn't mean you have to. Your edit uses more shades than needed and the shading is a gradient and thus doesn't show the shape and volume. So all in all, it's not a huge gain.

yes, but at the very least it shows there can be a larger palette. I did sort of mess up the edit though...