The VG Resource

Full Version: Pixel Club - Fake Classic Screens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've made this thread as a bit of an experiment, if its something I should avoid or anyone would prefer not here then I apologize and do with the thread what you will.

The Pixel Club
I figured this needed a name of some sort in case the experiment does well then maybe we can do more, think of this like the monthly events but not limited by time, just left for anyone to take part until the thread dies, that said, if you want to do just 1 picture or 100 go ahead.

Fake Classic Screens
for the experiment I figured I'd pick something common on the forum albeit with a little more specification, Pick a 16-bit or less console and using its native resolution and its graphical limitations, create a screen shot of an imaginary game (or even a de-make).
I'd advise you research your consoles well, if you can't find the appropriate information then ask here, information provided will be stored below in the Console List section.

Console List

GameBoy (I'm likely wrong on some of this, I didn't have a very reliable source)
NES

to get things started, BAM!
GameBoy - Jump Lump
[Image: jump_lump__gameboy_limitations__by_pushb...5xk3pv.png]

thanks for reading and have fun,
Bombshell
Ooooh I have a lot of unfinished NES mockups laying around, lets start with the newest:
[Image: jMBInQd.png]
It's pretty empty at the moment, but I kinda lacked the motivation to work on it.
I had an idea for a Contra/Bionic Commando mashup and this is how far i've got.

Also, this thread over at Pixelation may be of use, it has some neat information on some other systems (C64, ZX Spectrum and more) and also some more in-depth explanations on GameBoy and NES restrictions.

Its funny because I had started on making a mock-up screen for the rpg I might work on.

[Image: 100sr.png]
so I decided to make that mock up into an actual game, the recording is choppy and didn't pick up the audio though.
on my todo list is adding a level end, a cannon and functionality to all of the items,
atm only
heart (refills your health when it hits 0 instead of killing you and restarting the level)
and balloon (makes you lighter, allowing you to run faster and jump higher, just enough to make platforming easier)
do anything.
(03-10-2013, 12:54 PM)Virtuaboy123 Wrote: [ -> ]Its funny because I had started on making a mock-up screen for the rpg I might work on.
Oh... Is this a mock-up for a Super Robot Wars game?
GO TETSUJIN ! FIRST SUPER ROBOT IN MEDIA EVER!

(03-13-2013, 12:16 AM)Bombshell93 Wrote: [ -> ]so I decided to make that mock up into an actual game, the recording is choppy and didn't pick up the audio though.
on my todo list is adding a level end, a cannon and functionality to all of the items,
atm only
heart (refills your health when it hits 0 instead of killing you and restarting the level)
and balloon (makes you lighter, allowing you to run faster and jump higher, just enough to make platforming easier)
do anything.

Impressive work! I have the interrest to test your game in order to improve it.

As for my mock-up, I had once a GB Contra-like screen shot, but I apparently erased it. What for a regret... Sad
(03-13-2013, 06:23 AM)Thanatos-Zero Wrote: [ -> ]Oh... Is this a mock-up for a Super Robot Wars game?
GO TETSUJIN ! FIRST SUPER ROBOT IN MEDIA EVER!

No It's a mock up of a TSR rpg like game that uses the members ref characters and such as players in the game.
[Image: gallacta_blaster_gameboy_limitation_mock...5xwzel.png]
possibly a follow up project to Jump Lump "gallacta blaster", to the right you see the energy bar which when full can be used to powerup your weapon for a time, to the left you can see the unlocked weapons, probably buy them in between levels (in which case I'd probably also add some ship upgrading such as take 2 hits before dying or deal extra damage or move faster, etc.)

EDIT: also at the bottom is a progress bar for the level, C = complete this chunk for a checkpoint, R = rush, more enemies + money multiplier, B = boss tier enemy.
It'd be cool if you could have like four different weapon slots that you could modify, and the weapon you would fire with would be dependent on how long you held down the fire button. Lower tiers (like 1 and 2) would be allocated for normal fire weapons,(laser, spread, missile, etc) but the higher tiers would hold support and mega attack abilities that have limited uses, to avoid spamming.

This would allow for much more customization and varies play tactics, sort of like in the Gradius series. Although I've yet to play a shoot with a charge mechanic like this.

EDIT: Just realized that this may already be what you were talking about, sorry if im just repeating you :\
I'm not sure if it completely fits the theme of this thread, but this is something that I've been thinking of for a while.
What if instead of releasing Link's Awakening, Nintendo had instead decided to downport the original LoZ (or its engine, at least) to the Game Boy? What if they kept the original graphical assets instead of using the more cartoony art style?

So I came up with this mockup.
[Image: lozgbmockup1_zps2192d32a.png]
As you can see, it's not too bad, but the much smaller screen means that there are some cuts, most noticably to the HUD. The map is no longer there (and would probably have to be accessed through the Select button, LA style) and it's much smaller.
The actual game screens themselves are smaller as well, meaning that to be able to port LoZ, each screen would have to be able to scroll around instead of having one static camera per room.

This is much more visible in dungeons:
[Image: lozgbmockup2_zps465fe53c.png]
A single screen of a dungeon would have to scroll around to be able to work.

So I wondered: what would it be like if I scaled the rooms to fit the gameboy screen?
[Image: lozgbmockup3_zpse54745f4.png]
Oh jeez, that's much too small. 6x4 isn't anywhere near enough room to play around with, ahahah
There would have to be scrolling rooms in order to have any sort of actual puzzles.
On top of that, Link's palette in dungeons is pretty ugly.

No wonder they changed how the game looked for LA.
I have been tinkering this thing for sometime now myself:

[Image: 289zif9.png]

What this is: It's basically what would you do if you combined RPG and fighting game mechanics into one game, in which the story behind that has been under development for some time now.

I've seen RPGs that used this, but the concept wasn't probably used to it's full potential. Sometimes, it was the other way around (Fighting Game with a level up system and whatnot)

Vipershark Wrote:What if instead of releasing Link's Awakening, Nintendo had instead decided to downport the original LoZ (or its engine, at least) to the Game Boy? What if they kept the original graphical assets instead of using the more cartoony art style?

Capcom actually did this, the result? The Mega Man gameboy series that took awhile for them to truly shine with the more limited gb in the fifth installment, later seemingly perfected in the Xtreme games.